Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Clutch cable lower boot position. (Read 116 times)
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Clutch cable lower boot position.
06/09/17 at 20:01:15

Lubed the clutch cable but now I'm now sure how to position the rubber boot. There is a nipple on the end of the clutch cable that is hidden in the photo and the boot seems to fit over this nipple nicely, but that doesn't work because then the adjuster nut can't sit against the housing. If the nipple sticks out the end of the clutch cable so I can slip the boot over it, then the clutch is way too loose. Currently I've got the fine adjuster end of the clutch cable on the lever all the way in as per the S40 manual, where they say to wind it all the way in and then take all the play out at the clutch end and then make fine adjustments.  Because if I do that then I've got to wind the fine adjuster out a long long way to have the clutch adjusted properly and that doesn't seem right either. btw when I went to adjust it I did notice that the fine adjuster was wound out a long way.

If there was no rubber boot there I wouldn't be even having this conundrum I'd just adjust it, but I figure it must be there for a reason.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Clutch cable lower boot position.
Reply #1 - 06/09/17 at 21:05:58

I'd say you need a new throw out rod, you got that adjustment maxed out.
the end of that ferrule is a little nub that the rubber bit fits on.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 06/09/17 at 21:16:37

I wouldn't worry about the adjuster at the lever being out to far as long as the wheeled locking nut holds it tight, the boot should set on the end of the cable ,I believe it's to prevent crud going up inside and being trapped between the cable and outer covering causing wear on the cable.If you can't split the difference the cable may be  stretched and have to be replaced.I just read Verslagen"s post above and he maybe very well be  right ,how high does the clutch arm go , if you push up on it until you start to feel resistance ,is it between the lines on side case? If it's running above the top line ,you need the rod. If it's between the lines you need the cable.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #3 - 06/09/17 at 22:24:21

Thanks guys, OK I screwed the cable in till the nipple poked out enough to slip the boot over it. This meant that I had to screw the fine adjuster out at the handlebar end a fair way. So the defining limit on how close I can have that adjusting nut is defined by the minimum I can have the nipple poking out so I can slip the boot over it! No wiggle room there. So while I can't start with it screwed all the way in as Suzuki say, it has at least a good quarter inch still hanging on as per photo below.

I have another observation though that I find a little puzzling, it seems to me that the locknut on the clutch end adjuster would make more sense being below the adjuster nut rather than above it. Anyway what I find puzzling is that this particular arrangement as it currently is and I assume is factory spec leaves it fairly loose. See video, is this level of movement normal? It doesn't even sit flush against the housing. btw that the camera moving not the bike. https://youtu.be/5ZIaMVNCRL0

EDIT: @Batman, I just saw that last bit, never noticed those marks before, it is  right at the level of the top mark. Does this mean a new throw out rod is in order. If so is it a big deal to fix, and is this normal to need one this early?

Gotta say though clutch feels fine, no slipping.

EDIT 2: I loosened the clutch at the handlebar end so the lower clutch lever would be nice and loose, after pushing up with two fingers till I felt some decent resistance the bottom of the clutch lever was just barely above the upper mark! Does this sound like I need to order a longer clutch pushrod?

« Last Edit: 06/09/17 at 23:25:15 by eau de sauvage »  

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 06/10/17 at 05:47:14

Your test and the lever being at the upper mark shows that you need to get the next size rod to take up for the wear in the clutch.  It requires you to remove the clutch cover to replace it - so order a clutch cover gasket when you order the rod in case your gasket tears and you need a new one.

Check the extension of the cam chain adjuster while you are in there.

Both nuts belong on the top of the arm -  don't put a nut on the bottom and tighten them up - or you can break the end of the arm off....and that is a big problem!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #5 - 06/10/17 at 05:53:16

@Dave, OK will order them. Is it normal for the clutch to wear to the next size rod after 12,000kms? I'm guessing I'll need the next bigger size rod, yes? From what I've read so far the OEM rod will be the middle of 3?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 06/10/17 at 06:14:29

I don't know why you have worn the clutch so far so quickly.  I have 10,000 miles on mine and I don't believe I have even needed to even adjust the cable once in that period.

when you upshift, make sure you have fully released the clutch lever before you get on the throttle hard.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #7 - 06/10/17 at 08:18:22

I am also perplexed, neither I nor the gf whose bike this is, ride in a manner that's harsh on the clutch. We only relatively occasionally gun it, and I always avoid slipping the clutch.

BTW, you misunderstood about the locknut, I didn't mean that it should be on the bottom of the lever, I meant that it should be under the adjusting nut rather than on top of it. But probably wouldn't help though.

So should I get the longer sized pushrod, or a shorter one? I'm guessing longer but it's always good to check!

Dave wrote on 06/10/17 at 06:14:29:
I don't know why you have worn the clutch so far so quickly.  I have 10,000 miles on mine and I don't believe I have even needed to even adjust the cable once in that period.

when you upshift, make sure you have fully released the clutch lever before you get on the throttle hard.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 06/10/17 at 14:13:14

Unless I'm mistaken if your clutch pack was wearing the arm would be moving down, as the rod would be pushed out farther ,I think it more likely that it's the rod that's wearing ,there are three sizes sold by  Suzuki each being only 1mm difference in length ,so a slight bit of wear on the rod makes a much bigger difference in the movement at the end of the arm (upward).I would buy all three sizes($5.00 each   sizes -44.5mm45.5mm and 46.5mm) ,I believe that Verslagen said that the max length of the rod end sticking out of the clutch when inserted should be 12.5 mm and that13mm was to long and would not let the clutch fully engage.

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #9 - 06/12/17 at 23:51:15

@Batman,

Well if it's pushrod wear then I guess it's going to need a longer one. I'll grab the necessary items but seeing as the clutch is working fine at the moment would this be something that could hold off for say 4 months as I just changed the oil and I don't feel much like wrenching in the winter. With the lever at the top mark does not mean there is an urgency to this does it?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 06/13/17 at 09:40:14

I've never had to change mine (28,000 miles) but I'd guess and say if your clutch is working normally ,ride it! It maybe that your stock rod has worn, I'd look at the ends ,we have seen bluing  which may indicate wear,(and check the small bearing it rides in ) if so you may not need a longer rod ,  but just to replace it with the stock one,but I still think you should buy all three to make sure you have the right one in hand .

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 16:09:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch cable lower boot position.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.