Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Fork seals leaking.... UNDERSTATEMENT!! (Read 231 times)
JennC
YaBB Newbies

Boonville, IN
Fork seals leaking.... UNDERSTATEMENT!!
06/09/17 at 13:00:59

Ok, so I bought fork seals, clips and cover from a Suzuki Dealer for my 87 Savage. Had someone install them for me... Didn't work out. So here I go into unchartered territory.

I looked at a chart, made sure I had all my pcs there. Followed a youtube video step by step

The letters on the seal are facing up.. the clip snapped in the groove, so they are down far enough, right? Used a pipe to evenly push them down.

When I say they are leaking.... understatement of the century. When I pulled the dust cover up, fork oil was puddled inside. After my ride, I had to wipe down the front brakes wipe the forks.... Pretty messy!!!

I tried wiping down with rubbing alcohol and cleaning the seals. Made that little flat piece out of a milk carton.

Any ideas here? And if there is a mistake that would cause them to leak and puddle up under the cover that makes you think.... "no one would actually do that" .... go ahead and run that by me too Grin

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Fork seals leaking.... UNDERSTATEMENT!!
Reply #1 - 06/09/17 at 13:10:41

Jenn, I've replaced my seals once, but other than that I can only shrug.

Perhaps if you can list all parts you used and a link to the video maybe some one can spot something.

WWW   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #2 - 06/09/17 at 13:58:38

If you got oil all over your brake pads, I wouldn't trust them for much other than gently slowing down. I don't think you can "clean" oil out of the brake pad material...once it's in there, it's in there.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #3 - 06/09/17 at 15:41:12

is the chrome on the fork leg in good condition? if the chrome's chipped or pitted or rusty, that's where the oil gets out. other than that or a dented fork tube, the culprit can pretty much only be installing error (I've seen them fitted upside down!) or wrong parts used. error could be oerrorientation but you've described fitting the right way up, dirty work space, damaging seal while fitting, maybe an old seal gone hard. overfilling the fork oil.
you haven't been doing big jumps, right?
my fork seals failed during the trailer ride home when I bought it.
any other thoughts?

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #4 - 06/09/17 at 16:58:22

You need to use a seal driver. What type of pipe did you use? Hopefully you didn't score the seal.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/09/17 at 18:47:11

Seal driver = PVC pipe

Never fails me.  Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 06/09/17 at 19:42:36

Okay, they got the seals wrong, maybe Upside Down wrong, but they got the forks apart and back together.
Unless you kicked them in the shins and talked ugly about their Mom, maybe you can get them to help you fix Their screwup.. and,
You can get them to come here and make sure they don't screw up

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
JennC
YaBB Newbies

Boonville, IN
Reply #7 - 06/15/17 at 05:44:45

Used a PVC pipe.
Definitely no big jumps....ever! Lol
I'm not counting solely on my front brakes. I'm pretty well taking it easy getting the feel of this bike.
I used the Clymer to make sure I had all the parts. The only thing new were the seals, clamps, and covers. But something I remembered AFTER my post, was the clips and covers came from the dealership. I bought the seals from a little mom and pop cycle shop, and never considered the fact that they could have been on the shelf for who knows how long.
I ordered another set of seals, and I have an extra set of forks, so I'm going to try with those.  
I wondered about the whole upside down thing.
I'll post a video of the link in a bit. Gotta get to work.
Thanks so much everyone!!

IP Logged
JennC
YaBB Newbies

Boonville, IN
Reply #8 - 06/15/17 at 05:49:56

No Justin, I didn't kick them and talk about their momma, but if they get my seals wrong again I might.
I may just do a little investigating around my area and find someone who CAN do it and not just SAYS they can do it.
And I don't know if they will spend much time on this site, but you can bet I have done a lot of reading to them.  Grin

IP Logged
JennC
YaBB Newbies

Boonville, IN
Reply #9 - 06/15/17 at 08:12:57

Ok...so this was the video used for reference.... without the steps for lowering.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 06/15/17 at 09:16:29

I see,, well, that's very interesting..
Sure didn't take long to watch it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
JennC
YaBB Newbies

Boonville, IN
Reply #11 - 06/15/17 at 10:28:53

It sure didn't. But considering I don't know how long of a video it SHOULD be... I don't really have much to compare it to.
I'm trying here... I'm REALLY REALLY trying. I don't think I was this filthy or ruined so many clothes even as a child!!!!  Smiley

I was thinking that someone with a general knowledge (I know, open mouth insert foot... because the knowledge is obviously lacking) would be able to see what they needed from that video.

I have tackled a lot of things on this bike...even though some things have taken 2 or 3 tries. But after seeing two complete failures from people who are WAY more knowledgeable than myself, I'm feeling a little leery of trying it on my own. Is this really hard to do, or just something you can't rush?
If someone were to take their time...an average person...not the super skilled like many of you... how long should this project take? Realistically? I'm asking because I'm trying to figure out if they rushed through it? if I had bad seals? or if two people ( working separately and at totally separate times) actually managed to put seals in upside down. Anyone on here live in Southern Indiana? I'll pay you. lol

IP Logged
FL Savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Orlando/Eustis FL
Reply #12 - 06/15/17 at 10:45:40

JennC wrote on 06/15/17 at 08:12:57:
Ok...so this was the video used for reference.... without the steps for lowering.

IP Logged
JennC
YaBB Newbies

Boonville, IN
Reply #13 - 06/15/17 at 10:50:13

FL Savage wrote on 06/15/17 at 10:45:40:
JennC wrote on 06/15/17 at 08:12:57:

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/default/scope.gif

Yeah, that seems to be a common reaction on here. lol

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 06/15/17 at 11:41:14

NOW it's longer..
Before, it was almost nonexistent..

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 16:18:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fork seals leaking.... UNDERSTATEMENT!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.