Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Trouble idling after warmup (Read 217 times)
B-Will

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

East Texas
Re: Trouble idling after warmup
Reply #15 - 06/07/17 at 08:27:42

batman wrote on 06/07/17 at 07:06:23:
B-will when I repair a wire I first solder ,tape,and use a product called liquid tape ,it can be found in outlets like lowes  or Home depot,it's liquid rubber you paint over the tape which completely seals it from water etc. In 22yrs I've never had a problem ,even in hard rain storms at highway speeds. It can also be used to fill the back sides of connectors to prevent corrosion .

Cool I'll check it out.  The splices that were used previously on the bike are pretty suspect.  The one I've already repaired was severely corroded.

IP Logged
B-Will

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

East Texas
Reply #16 - 06/07/17 at 19:11:34

Today was a good day.  I re-soldiered the suspect connection, used some heat shrink as well as some liquid tape I picked up from Lowe's today during my lunch break (thanks Batman!).  Crisis averted--electrical problem fixed.

Next step, I rolled the bike out onto the driveway and fired her up, showing my 8 yr old daughter how to adjust the air mix screw.  To be honest, I'm not sure where I landed, but it's somewhere between 2.5 turns out and maximum "outness".  I'm pretty sure I need to step up the idle jet at some point.

...However...

The bike ran great.  I took it for a spin around my neighborhood to warm it up and returned to my driveway.  After being warmed up, it tried to sputter and die (and not because I had the petcock in the wrong position like a dumb a$$), so I increases the idle speed screw ever slow slightly.  She was purring like a kitten.

So off I went.  She ran great.  I finally got to take my first bike ride (I just passed my motorcycle safety course) and it was awesome!  I never got over 35 mph, but that's ok.  Baby steps  Grin

Thanks Batman, Justin and others who gave some truly sage advice!

Barrett

IP Logged
B-Will

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

East Texas
Reply #17 - 06/23/17 at 11:27:00

Wanted to give an update on how things are going with the bike.  After adjusting the idle air/fuel mix screw, as well as the idle itself, the bike is operational like I mentioned in my last post.

Since then, I've ridden on a couple 40 mile rides and have noticed a few things:

• Sudden deceleration causes afterfires
  • The bike has to be at half-choke for a while to warm up.  Once warmed up the choke can be removed.
  • Before the bike warms up, there is some hesitation on acceleration

So, the next things I'm going to do are to increase the idle jet to a 55, do the spacer mod on the needle jet, and up the main jet to a 150.

I'll post back here with in update on how it's going.

Thanks again for all the help!

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #18 - 06/23/17 at 11:50:14

B-Will wrote on 06/23/17 at 11:27:00:
Since then, I've ridden on a couple 40 mile rides and have noticed a few things:

• Sudden deceleration causes afterfires
  • The bike has to be at half-choke for a while to warm up.  Once warmed up the choke can be removed.
  • Before the bike warms up, there is some hesitation on acceleration

So, the next things I'm going to do are to increase the idle jet to a 55, do the spacer mod on the needle jet, and up the main jet to a 150.

Before you go tearing into the carb, try adjusting the mixture screw a little richer.  Just make sure the screw isn't out more than a total of three turns from bottom, at which point, you'll need to go up a size on the pilot.

IP Logged
B-Will

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

East Texas
Reply #19 - 06/23/17 at 12:57:23

Will do SALB.  I can't remember where I finally left it, but I'll double check.

If you turn more than 3 times, does it fall out or something?

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #20 - 06/23/17 at 13:29:11

Yes, there is a danger of losing the screw more than three turns out.  Be careful that you very lightly bottom it out when you screw it in so you don't damage it.  More info can be found in the tech section.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 08:29:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Trouble idling after warmup

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.