Twelve Years Later! (Read 129 times)
twistytwist
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Coastal Georgia
Twelve Years Later!
06/04/17 at 19:51:18

Its been a long time, folks!  In 2005 or so, I put on the VM, dropped in the performance cam, took off for the test ride and man did it pull!  Then the cam chain tensioner failed.  It felt like it still had life when the motor was apart, but jumped out, and the brand new cam and my ticker arms ate each other.  Destroyed.  I found an old motor from an 80s model, and did nothing with until now.  So now I'm running a four speed, still need to modify the chain tensioner (or better, rebuild the old motor with a stage two cam and resleeve it to take something like a 100mm piston. Think the case would need boring?) but I have more trouble.  The bike won't go over 50mph.  Clutch slipping maybe?  It isn't really revving either, but it does slip when you start off, then seems okay until about 40mph, then gets reaaalllly slow until 50-55, then nothing.  I digress.  Hello again, was the point of this!  I'll get some pictures up soon.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Twelve Years Later!
Reply #1 - 06/04/17 at 20:06:00

You cannot use a 100mm piston...already tried.
I talked it over with Bill at Bore Tech some years ago to get his professional opinion.
Boring to that size will only leave less than 1mm down at the bottom of the cylinder sleeve.   It is fun to think about such things though.
You might get by with a 98mm if you can find one that has ALL of the correct deminsions needed.  I would call a tech person at Wiseco Pistons to confirm that if I were you.
Currently the 95/96/97mm sizes are what we have to work with.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #2 - 06/04/17 at 20:22:02

TT

Sounds like you got the timing chain one tooth off .   I've had the same problem when I took apart my first bike to "See-how-it-worked" .  

Check it to see , and if it ain't the timing chain off a tooth or two then , I'll buy ya a Dragon Humbugger or similar item at one of our outing !  Wink

I'll go further than that , Your timing chain is on the slow side  at least one tooth  Smiley.

Did I understand you haven't put a Versey on your bike ????   Sad

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 06/04/17 at 20:48:56

That's what I think too.
when the chain is stretched, the cam won't line up with the head, the forward side will be high.

WWW   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #4 - 06/04/17 at 21:03:33

the forward side will be high  

Yea , and then add in the whole tooth from setting it one off and now its 1.5 tooth slow .   The result will be exactly what you described ... No Joke ...

With out the Versey your chain life is +- 15,000 miles ... The Versey will easily double that and with a milder spring in the tensioner , it should be good for close to 45,000 miles.   Mine has almost 40,000 on the original chain and still runs great.   Keep the idle 1,000 or more !   Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 06/04/17 at 21:05:15

Arlen has a sneaky
How to
Set up the used chain so the cam is real close to timed as If the chain were new.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
twistytwist
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Coastal Georgia
Reply #6 - 06/04/17 at 21:22:50

Is Versey a term that's appeared in the last decade?  I'm lost!  I haven't opened this motor up, no clue on the mileage.  I'm pretty sure I welded an extension on the tensioner from the last motor when I blew it, I'll check around for it, and I even have a new cam chain to pop on if it's stretched.  Well, NOS anyway.  Thanks for the responses, all!  Lancer, I think you're the last person I talked to on here a decade ago, just after getting the cam and carb from you.  Will the, ah, eaten up cam work as a core?  Probably not good to do a second weld and grind...  Now I don't think I can resist popping over to the politics section and making enemies of everybody.  All in good fun!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 06/04/17 at 21:59:00

follow the link to the right.

WWW   IP Logged
ls650v

97 savage

Clinton Twp, MI
Reply #8 - 06/05/17 at 03:03:37

Can't use a stock 4-speed engine with a 5-speed CDI box.  Maybe one of the forum experts can elaborate.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 06/05/17 at 03:24:53

ls650v wrote on 06/05/17 at 03:03:37:
Can't use a stock 4-speed engine with a 5-speed CDI box.  Maybe one of the forum experts can elaborate.

Yep.....that is a real possibility as the cause of the sluggish performance.  Did you bolt your 5 speed left side cover and  stator assembly onto the 4 speed engine cases?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 06/05/17 at 07:00:41

5spds are timed different than 4spds.  And the secret is to swap the rotor.
Use can use the cdi from a 5spd if you keep the rotor from the 5spd.

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 06/07/17 at 20:55:42

twistytwist wrote on 06/04/17 at 21:22:50:
Is Versey a term that's appeared in the last decade?  I'm lost!  I haven't opened this motor up, no clue on the mileage.  I'm pretty sure I welded an extension on the tensioner from the last motor when I blew it, I'll check around for it, and I even have a new cam chain to pop on if it's stretched.  Well, NOS anyway.  Thanks for the responses, all!  Lancer, I think you're the last person I talked to on here a decade ago, just after getting the cam and carb from you.  Will the, ah, eaten up cam work as a core?  Probably not good to do a second weld and grind...  Now I don't think I can resist popping over to the politics section and making enemies of everybody.  All in good fun!

If the bearing surfaces are good, the lobes can likely be rewelded again IF they are not just totally eaten up.  A good quality close up photo would be helpful here.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/17/24 at 17:43:41

General CategoryThe Cafe › Twelve Years Later!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.