Send Topic Print
Unfamiliar Roads (Read 76 times)
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Unfamiliar Roads
06/03/17 at 23:06:02

Todays ride included a unfamiliar road , something that resembles a road  started out a nice two lane up the hill then a line on each side and no defined lanes up and over the summit. Some super tight turns,off camber, poor road repairs,wash boards that almost made my helmet spin around and bicyclists. Your basic unmaintenced county road. Approaching the summit I slowed to check out the view,awsome view into the Central Valley overlooking grassy hills & wind farms.Glad I slowed at the summit hard right then steep rough road. My Tracker would eat this road up but I'm on the sporty and it's the other way around,I'm gettin a work out. Here's the weird part I get down the other side thru cattle country and come up to flashing lights near a power substation 12 PG&E trucks,3 County Sheriffs,a long flatbed truck and a small dozer/backhoe from the ranch I guess , flatbed loaded with 9 or 10 DEAD cows and trying to get another one on with the dozer. A bizarre sight that's for sure. Anyway that road was so nasty I just had to turn around and do it again. I was exhausted by the time I got home , just over 70 mile loop , what fun !!!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Unfamiliar Roads
Reply #1 - 06/04/17 at 06:18:54

Exploring is fun. Alone just means you can't get in a spot that you can't get out of alone, which heightens the experience a bit. After the videos of dresser Harleys upside down I understand why they travel in groups so often.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #2 - 06/04/17 at 07:46:11

Yeah it takes 2 to stand one up , 3 or 4 to flip one over.  I don't even know  if I could right my sportster if it was laying flat on the road , keeps me from doing anything too dumb. That was a nasty road I was on yesterday, what a workout , miss the tracker! One hellaofa view from the summit !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 06/04/17 at 08:09:11

Did you see the video of the Harleys that fell to the inside of the corner? Sometimes the gas is better than brakes.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #4 - 06/04/17 at 08:54:52

Almost comical,when I feel my bike(s) are pulling too far into a turn I just turn up the volume till it feels right again. Rookie H/D pilot+uphill hairpin+Bad spot in the road=off road excursion, hope no one got hurt ! Sounds screwy but I prefer to ride alone , like you said it makes for a intense experience , exploring back roads is so much fun only thing I worry about is fuel !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #5 - 06/04/17 at 12:53:14

Quote:
PG&E trucks,3 County Sheriffs,a long flatbed truck and a small dozer/backhoe from the ranch I guess , flatbed loaded with 9 or 10 DEAD cows and trying to get another one on with the dozer. A bizarre sight that's for sure.

I'm pretty sure I saw that movie.When you come around a corner and they're shovelin' dead people onto a flatbed with a backhoe, then it's time to turn the h*'' around. And hope the bike isn't already on reserve.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 06/04/17 at 14:05:05

I got on Gargle Maps and found back roads that get me from home to the doctor and lake. I'm working on getting it right going home. I still get where I want to be,it's just not as direct..

Roughnecking out south of Sierra Blanca Texas gave me the opportunity to explore out in the west Texas desert. Found some neat stuff out there. The major obstacles were long stretches of deep sand and herds of cattle that would stand in the ding dang Road,, and no, I Never honked the horn.
I reported the things I found to my coworkers. John had a Suburban, and three of us went to sight see. More than an hour off of asphalt was a place with a grill about fifteen feet long,the seats at the card tables were toilets on casters with cushy seats, and an RV park...
What all Really happened there I never knew.
We drilled through Indian Hot Springs. When we were tripping pipe in the winter the pipe kept us from just freezing. We sent scientific thermometers down, wrapped in burlap. Some broke, some reported well over two hundred degrees. One week it never got above freezing, and hit negative ten one night. Work outside in THAT for 84 hours in seven days..

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #7 - 06/04/17 at 15:35:50

No Tanx , I'll stick with truck loads of dead cattle. That area is kinda weird cows , wind farms , power stations and Laurence Livermore Labs on both sides on the hill. Some people says there is a tunnel connecting the 2 labs thru the mountain. Gov R & D secret stuff , poison ground water and who knows what else !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #8 - 06/04/17 at 19:16:18

Cattle experiments !? Oldnslow was right it might make a good Moive !
Yeah thought that sheriff rubbing sun block on his bald head looked a little ALIEN ! Very well disguised ! Who would think twice !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 16:21:57

General CategoryThe Cafe › Unfamiliar Roads

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.