Send Topic Print
Highway pegs question (Read 164 times)
Janak
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Highway pegs question
06/03/17 at 21:02:26

Is there a way to fit highway pegs to the bike without engine guard?

I like to go on long rides. I am fine on standard pegs up to say 80 kmph. Above that and over 100 kmph on highway, my legs feel a bit spread out and the angle of my legs feel tiring and uncomfortable.

I have been looking at highway pegs and all seem to be made to fit on engine guard.

I have a 2015 S40, I am 5'6" and still find the riding position a bit cramped and feel that highway pegs should help a lot.

I am 61 years, have added a backrest (as I get backache) and have after market exhaust, and love my S40.

If fitting highway pegs on engine guard is the only option, then that is what I will have to do.

Another question: can floorboard be fitted without mods to replace the front pegs? I hope they will not interfere with the highway pegs.

(I am not interested in forward controls)

Any feedback, suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks    

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Highway pegs question
Reply #1 - 06/03/17 at 21:56:31

You can get them with a bar or frame mounts.

look for mini floorboards

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 06/03/17 at 22:12:27

I don't really like highway pegs ,I think raising your feet higher to place them on the pegs puts even more weight on your tail bone and spine.small running boards as Verslagen suggests or a better seat may be money better spent.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #3 - 06/04/17 at 00:33:02

Hi Janak, I'm 5'8" (and my backside is closer to the ground than most people my height) and I tried a lot of things to get comfortable in the conditions you described. I modified my seat and experimented with my feet position.

However, the thing that made the biggest difference, by far, was when I lowered my handlebars (I switched to wider drag bars and lower risers). My weight distribution changed completely and everything else became more comfortable.

I know it's not what you were asking about specifically, but maybe it could be something else to consider.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #4 - 06/04/17 at 06:36:35

I posted about small footboards I made, you might be interested--

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1493331156/0#0

They help me alot and stop my feet from getting tired. You can also put your ankle on top of them and let your legs stretch out, if the road is open.

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #5 - 06/05/17 at 07:46:52

Janak,
I found that lowering the bars helped to take some of the pressure off my tailbone. I have the drag bars and 3" risers, works quite well.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 06/05/17 at 09:19:22

I've also ran drag bars in the past and really liked them. They have the advantages of shifting weight off your spine, and if their wide enough you have better steering control,(more so at parking lot speeds) with less input ,and because your upper body is leaning forward they can be more comfortable at highway speeds if not running a windshield. the weight of your upper body leaning slightly forward over the tank also makes the bike less likely to experience high speed wobble.Mirror placement can be the only problem ,the bars being lower ,the mirrors need to be moved a bit wider to see around your body (I bent the stems,to be lower and a bit wider).

IP Logged
Janak
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 06/17/17 at 06:12:18

Many thanks for all your suggestions and am grateful for that.
So, I am planning to go for the floorboards. Agree that highway pegs are likely to result in more pressure on the tailbone.

I am not a DIY guy, so contacted some local motorcycle customiser.
He showed me an option of footpegs with heel support and it looks like it will do a good job. The heel support angle is adjustable.

Anyone has used this or any views on this?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 06/17/17 at 09:28:33

e showed me an option of footpegs with heel support and it looks like it will do a good job. The heel support angle is adjustable.

Never heard of such but would be interested in seeing it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Janak
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/18/17 at 19:23:39

The correct term for this is:
KURYAKYN ISO STIRRUP FOOTPEG HEEL REST FOR HARLEY
Photo attached

Any opinion on this?

IMG_3839.JPG
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 06/18/17 at 19:34:48

I wear boots with heels, and when shifting my foot never leaves the peg but pivots around it. I don't see how these would work for me,as the heel support doesn't move ,which means your heel can stay in place but you have to lift the entire front of your foot off the peg when shifting to a higher gear.I don't know how hard you ride your bike but I've ground about 1/4 " off the bottom of my stock pegs and it looks like these hang out even farther,they may be OK for the superslab but I won't like them on a twisty back road.H/D has different size mounting bolts.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:15:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Highway pegs question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.