Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Left Foot Peg Bolt snapped off in socket! (Read 178 times)
MexicanHorrorStory
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Left Foot Peg Bolt snapped off in socket!
06/01/17 at 18:28:25

Hello everyone! I'm brand new to this forum as well as being a Motorcycle owner in general. (Just got my endorsement back in January.) Well, I went with a 2001 Suzuki Savage and man I've been loving every moment of it. The problem I got now is my left foot peg (the kickstand side) started being wobbly, then suddenly fell right off! I thought, ok I'll just put it back on, but nope. The bolt holding it onto the bracket has snapped off into the socket. I'm wondering what you guys would suggest I do, seeing as I have literally 0 mechanical skills. Mind you, I've got decent skills with firearms maintenance and I used to be an embalmer for 8 years, so I can sure do that ok! lol sorry, off topic. Anyway, attached are the best pictures I could take of the damage. My local bike shop seems to be giving me the run around about whether or not they can remove the bolt. So any advice you guys have would mean wonders to me! Thanks so much and sorry for the long winded description!

image1_002.JPG
  IP Logged
MexicanHorrorStory
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Left Foot Peg Bolt snapped off in socket!
Reply #1 - 06/01/17 at 18:30:12

Here is another picture since I could figure how to add more than 1 to a post, sorry about that!

image2.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 06/01/17 at 18:45:49

Those bolts go all the way through.  Go to the other side and turn it.

Note
The bolts hold your sidestand on. I'm not sure about it staying perfectly in place with a bolt out.
Probably a good plan to support the bike balanced and not on it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MexicanHorrorStory
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/01/17 at 19:21:01

Thanks for the quick reply! I guess now after having gone out and looked at it, I can't for the life of me see where this "other side" is. It seems like the kickstand is at an entirely different angle from where the bolt goes in. Also, you wouldn't happen to know what type of bolt it is, would you? In the event I do figure it out and have to run out and get a replacement. Thanks again!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 06/01/17 at 19:31:46

Sorry,, I should have been more specific.
The bolts go all the way across, and hold the other peg too.
They are responsible for clamping the engine cases together across the bottom and keeping it from imitating Harleys.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MexicanHorrorStory
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/01/17 at 19:40:29

Maybe I'm not being specific enough here myself. The small allen headed bolt holding the left foot peg to the whole mounting bracket has broken. See, the whole thing is fine EXCEPT that bolt. I'm familiar with the one you're speaking of and that isn't it. Here is another picture. Thanks again and sorry for the confusion. Or am I still not making sense? Undecided

image3.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 06/01/17 at 19:43:19

The kindle is kinda small.. I'm not sure about what I'm seeing. Someone will come along with a better answer. Sorry to not have the answer you're needing.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #7 - 06/02/17 at 05:07:21

Referring to this:
http://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/suz/50d32fbcf8700232d0b3d938/footrest

He broke off #8 inside of #2.

I don't know if you can get to the backside of #2 when you take it off the bike or not.. (I think you can).

Does #2 get discarded when a Ryca rebuild is done?  Looks like it.
If you can't get the bolt out, see if someone has the parts available in the Market place.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #8 - 06/02/17 at 07:12:16

I have tools and mechanical skills, and if it were me I would put some penetrating oil on it overnight and then try to drill it out with a standard drill bit or try an easy-out that some folks here have used. Seeing that this might be a tight space, not sure if the easy-out can get down in there whereas a long drill bit can?

Worst case you drill the entire things out and have to put an old fashioned bolt and nut all the way through since you would have drilled out your threads too.

Worst case go to out marketplace and see if anyone is selling a complete left foot peg assembly, or post a wanted ad for one. You never know who has stuff laying around for a few bucks and shipping.

2LKN9_AS01.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
MexicanHorrorStory
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/02/17 at 09:32:52

Thanks so much for the info guys. And yes, it seems that #8 is the bolt that broke into #2. So I'm wondering at this point if I should just replace #2, which I have indeed seen quite often. If so, how difficult of a job would it be? I'm mostly nervous to be dealing with anything that might involve the messing with the clutch lever or anything like that, because again, I don't wanna screw things up further! But basically, I'm thinking of just getting something like this picture:

BRACKET.jpeg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 06/02/17 at 09:57:27

It requires removing 2 long bolts that got clear though the engine to the footpeg on the other side, a shorter bolt, the shifter, the side stand and the sidestand safety switch.  If you don't have any tools....it is impossible.  If you do have some tools it is not too hard of a job.

Where do you live?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MexicanHorrorStory
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 06/02/17 at 11:35:27

Hey thanks again! That narrows it down quite a bit. I couldn't find that info ANYWHERE. I have very minimal tools, meaning whatever is in the tool box of the bike itself, maybe a few other miscellaneous tools from around the house, and two torque wrenches I bought when I first got the bike because I had heard they're important. Oh, and a small breaker bar. I'm in Seattle, by the way.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #12 - 06/02/17 at 11:54:28

Looks like the closest somewhat active forum member to you (according to those that have submitted their location for our map) is KimChris1.  Haven't seen posts from him/her recently though?

Maybe someone will pop up that lives near Settle that can offer a hand.  If you want to solicit a hand from Savages on our forum, maybe post a "I need help in Seattle" post in the Cafe.  

Also, if you can navigate the control panel and find it, put your location in your profile so folks see it and know where you are at a glance, as they may see that and offer a hand.

Good luck!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 06/02/17 at 19:09:03

Buying tools costs less than paying someone.

IP Logged
MexicanHorrorStory
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 06/02/17 at 20:16:04

Yeah, thanks guys for so much useful advice. I went ahead and ordered the part replacement in the last photo I uploaded, plus the supposed bolt to go in. So wish me luck!! I might be back asking a ton more questions nd expect to hear either good news or the bike exploded and leveled the building I live in!! Tongue

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 02:21:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Left Foot Peg Bolt snapped off in socket!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.