Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Repairing engine clutch cable adjuster (Read 100 times)
catfishunter99
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WI
Repairing engine clutch cable adjuster
05/31/17 at 18:56:36

So the PO owner of my bike took it upon themselves to break half of the female threaded hole where the clutch cable threads into the engine clean off.  I don't have an exact picture of my bike handy right now but the piece in question is below the two nuts (#5) shown below from the owners manual.  What I am left with is half of the threaded hole and all that is holding the cable housing from sliding out are zip ties.  Anyone have experience with a fix that may work for this?  

IP Logged
catfishunter99
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WI
Re: Repairing engine clutch cable adjuster
Reply #1 - 05/31/17 at 18:57:53

Here's the picture

Screenshot_20170531-204553_crop_433x432.png
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 05/31/17 at 19:41:11

The hole is not threaded... it's just a thru hole.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 05/31/17 at 20:24:23

Well if it were me.......I'd try to measure the gap under the speedometer nut and use a piece of flat bar to form a plate to fit the top of the boss ,with one hole for the clutch cable and the second to fit over the threaded part the speedo cable screws to  ,even if it meant grinding /filing the speedo end to fit under the nut it should be strong enough.You have to take care to make sure the nut tightens down far enough to compress the O-ring seal on the speedo cable to avoid an oil leak and holds the end of the plate down. Once you have it formed right ,you could heat it with a torch and oil clench it to harden giving it more strength. All the force is downward when you squeeze in the clutch handle ,there is no force on the plate upward ,that's why no nuts are shown underneath in the picture. this fix should work,or it's time you made friends with a good welder....just had another thought if you need the nut on the speedo cable to stand off the base you might use athin washer sandwiched in between two O-rings under the speedo cable nut,or get longer bolts for the starter motor and make an L shaped bracket to reach around  to the clutch cable.

« Last Edit: 06/01/17 at 14:56:29 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #4 - 06/01/17 at 04:14:33

Build it up with some JB. File the surface back to flat, redrill the hole.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #5 - 06/01/17 at 06:47:26

Is it possible to get a small hose clamp around that piece (what is left of it)?  In a pinch that may help stop it from bouncing out, but not sure if I would trust that to not vibrate off eventually.

I can't tell from this photo (bike is at home) but it looks like you can get all the way around with a clamp?

JB weld is a good tool as well, just have to make sure you degrease things so you get a good bond.

Capture_005.PNG

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 06/01/17 at 06:48:33

Metal chips/ flakes in an epoxy make it stronger.
Build a "form " with plastic and tape, use JB Weld, and follow the recommendation above.

A machine shop that has worked aluminium can give you some filler material.

There's no instruction manual for such a repair. It's a Skills test. I hope you win this..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
catfishunter99
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WI
Reply #7 - 06/03/17 at 16:59:46

batman wrote on 05/31/17 at 20:24:23:
Well if it were me.......I'd try to measure the gap under the speedometer nut and use a piece of flat bar to form a plate to fit the top of the boss ,with one hole for the clutch cable and the second to fit over the threaded part the speedo cable screws to  ,even if it meant grinding /filing the speedo end to fit under the nut it should be strong enough.You have to take care to make sure the nut tightens down far enough to compress the O-ring seal on the speedo cable to avoid an oil leak and holds the end of the plate down. Once you have it formed right ,you could heat it with a torch and oil clench it to harden giving it more strength. All the force is downward when you squeeze in the clutch handle ,there is no force on the plate upward ,that's why no nuts are shown underneath in the picture. this fix should work,or it's time you made friends with a good welder....just had another thought if you need the nut on the speedo cable to stand off the base you might use athin washer sandwiched in between two O-rings under the speedo cable nut,or get longer bolts for the starter motor and make an L shaped bracket to reach around  to the clutch cable.

Batman, Thanks for the great idea!  I was able to make a plate like the one you described out of 1/8" aluminum.  Drilled a 5/8" hole for the speedo and a 5/16" hole for the cable painted it black added 1 o ring between the plate and the speedo nut to secure the plate.  Problem solved!!! No more having to reply on zip ties.  I am one happy biker😀.  Thanks again for the advice!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 06/03/17 at 21:41:57

Just thinking outside the box,glad it worked!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 20:20:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Repairing engine clutch cable adjuster

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.