Send Topic Print
Trail Braking (Read 302 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Trail Braking
05/30/17 at 19:32:28

I read the Stuff linked. I'm Really glad I did. I'm seeing a much better edit speed.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Trail Braking
Reply #1 - 05/31/17 at 02:41:05

Jog: Rather that worry about your "edit" speed -  maybe improved accuracy in your editing would be a better goal. Wink

Here is the article that JOG is referring to:

https://www.n2td.org/trail-braking/

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #2 - 05/31/17 at 02:45:08

Edit, stage left...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #3 - 05/31/17 at 05:32:03

Trail braking provides the rider with control throughout the turn. Grabbing the brakes in a panic mid-turn will 1) stand the bike up, 2) cause the bike to run wide, or 3) if you grab too much brake too fast, you will lose traction and low-side crash.

This is a very easy technique to learn and master. After "normal" braking prior to turn entry, leave some brake engaged from turn entry to the turn apex. You'll want to progressively reduce pressure on the brake lever from turn entry to the apex. Doing this without making any other changes will give you confidence that keeping some of the front brake engaged will not do "bad" things. You'll also notice that you'll be going  s l o w  by the time you get to the turn apex. You can add corner speed little by little until you get to the turn apex at the speed prior to trying the trail braking technique.

The advantage of trail braking is this: with the brake engaged and the weight of the bike already transferred forward, if you have to apply more brake mid-turn, you will not overwhelm the suspension, you will not stand the bike up, and you will not run wide through the turn. The probability of a low-side crash is dramatically reduced.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 05/31/17 at 05:55:23

I've been in the habit of braking in a similar fashion on pavement for a long time.  I brake appropriately going into a turn (if needed) and then maintain just a slight pressure on the front brake with one finger as I adjust the throttle as needed (up or down) as I negotiate the turn.
It works well for me.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #5 - 05/31/17 at 07:04:13

I do it,  but I use the rear brake.
Just works better for me.   The throttle and front brake are on the same hand, and my fingers don't work so good.  Arthur-itus don't ya know..

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/31/17 at 07:04:15

This is technique used in off road riding as well.  Maintains a bigger contact patch on the tire through the turn.  Especially helpful in off camber situations.  Sometimes you will even drag the front brake while applying throttle to keep the front end planted on a flat off camber turn.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #7 - 05/31/17 at 10:11:43

I've been using that technique for thirty years on and off road.

But in thirty years have never shared it with my buddies , gives me a bit of an edge as some of them are faster riders than I am.

But I think I use it much more off road than on.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 06/03/17 at 09:57:03

I've been having a problem.. I'm freezing up , rigid, scared, and dang near had a bad get off last Sunday.. Those back roads, pleasant as they are, have blind corners. I've discovered crud in the road in two places, dirt, little gravel, and I was going under twenty, both times, but seeing the road littered with traction destroying crap scares me. I Think I need to get Less rigid, instead of going full on mannequin on a motorcycle..

I'm Trying to figure out how to change my initial reaction and/or learn to combat it, like Knowing not to look at the ditch unless you want to be IN the ditch and forcing the eyes toward where you want to go..

I'm hunting for riding tips, and the trail braking helped a lot, but, there is More,,  
http://www.ridinginthezone.com/the-power-of-the-quick-turn/

Watching motorcycle races will never be the same.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #9 - 06/03/17 at 10:20:56

https://www.amazon.com/Twist-Wrist-Vol-High-Performance-Motorcycle/dp/0965045...

Best motorcycle riding instruction book ever written IMO. Aimed at road racers, but the techniques are just as applicable to the street.

Quote:

'm Trying to figure out how to change my initial reaction and/or learn to combat it, like Knowing not to look at the ditch unless you want to be IN the ditch and forcing the eyes toward where you want to go..

Exactly the kind of stuff the book focuses on. Some of the things we do instinctively and involuntarily, like chopping the throttle and grabbing a handful of brake when we get scared, are exactly the opposite of what the motorcycle needs to stay upright. The author calls them 'survival reactions" and explains why a lot of times they do the opposite of helping us survive. There's a pretty long list.  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 06/03/17 at 11:09:17

Thankfully I don't Chop, but Boy I hafta stop myself.. And I do ever so slightly let off the gas,  

And I done Lernt the Brakes on crappy surfaces lesson on gravel. One finger, barely Touched it, and I slid to a halt with feet still on the pegs. Man that gravity stuff works Quick!

Thanks for the link.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #11 - 06/03/17 at 11:13:10

A horse has four legs but a horse moving at speed is amazing , looking ahead noting where objects are not to be stepped on , but the horse is still looking ahead never seeing where he is stepping and not stepping on what his eyes/brain have seen a few yards back.
If you spend you time waiting for you front tire to go over a patch of gravel then you are not looking ahead.If you waiting for that patch to come up you are preparing to slide you are not relaxed you are on the edge of panic. The tire will pass over the gravel and regain its grip all on its own , if it had the horses brain it wouldn't even notice cause it's looking ahead. If your rigid and in a state of panic you are not one with your bike you are actually fighting the bike. It's simple relax , if you focus on a object it's much more likely you will hit it , term is "Target Fixation".
See it , don't focus on it , it you can miss it you will , if the direction/speed of the bike is going to hit the patch , relaxe , don't fight the bike , tires will do their job.
I know your smarter than a horse , so relaxe , keep looking ahead. I don't like gravel on entry of a turn but anywhere after the apex I will purposely ride thru it if possible, fun gettin a drift before a straight.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #12 - 06/03/17 at 11:22:48

Trail braking is a advanced technique. Like any technique there are times you use it and most of the time you don't. Be careful it can be a bad thing if used at the wrong time or place or to aggressively !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #13 - 06/03/17 at 12:03:06

Day off  time for a quick ride 70 mile loop , time to renew the soul.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 06/03/17 at 15:11:24

Used book ordered.. I have invested countless hours studying the state of affairs,, and for what?  It's allowed me and my family to understand somewhat beyond what They tell us and to know when people I meet are people who I might be able to enjoy.

So, it's well past time to work on riding skills..instead of the crap I can't change.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 04:37:04

General CategoryThe Cafe › Trail Braking

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.