Send Topic Print
Trail Braking (Read 302 times)
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: Trail Braking
Reply #15 - 06/03/17 at 16:22:22

Never too late to learn new skills , ride safe buddy. Used book is Twist of the Wrist ? Great book

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 06/03/17 at 16:39:16

Yeah, and the site I linked has tons of hints.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #17 - 06/03/17 at 17:39:31

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #18 - 06/03/17 at 17:57:56

Is it Really an Accident if you're Doing EVERYTHING possible to invite a crash?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yq4HVSblphw

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #19 - 06/03/17 at 18:02:35

After you're done reading "Twist of the Wrist" -which is the motorcycle bible - I suggest "Total Control" by Lee Parks. It's geared towards street riding.

Tell me Justin, what type of grip do you keep on the grips? Do you ride with a "death grip" or are your hands nice and lose/open? I ride with my throttle hand open; thumb and index finger working the throttle and my next two fingers laying across the top of the brake handle. Same for the clutch side. This grip relaxes your entire upper body.

Ruttly is 100% correct about looking down the road and not AT the road. Moving your head in the direction of the turn centers you body over the bike and helps to stabilize the bike through a turn. Don't sit ridged on the bike, move with it.

Enjoy the book(s).

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #20 - 06/03/17 at 22:43:12

My hands are loose, I'm fluid with my body, I'm comfortable, right up until I get skeert, then I look like Pinocchio. All stiff and wooden.
Next time I feel like that I'm gonna try to force myself to loosen up. I want to walk a couple of those turns and see if it's iron ore bleeding that color on the road or clay that's washed across.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #21 - 06/04/17 at 16:13:40

A Twist of the Wrist 2 is on YouTube if you want to watcha video as well as read the book. good for us visual learners.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #22 - 06/08/17 at 07:56:12

Well it is confirmed....I am a "Trail Breaker"!

Last night I rode the little Ninja to the once a month meeting of the "Scooter Trash" friends that I have, several of whom are either former or current road racers.  I asked one of them to look at the front tire of the Ninja and tell me why it is wearing out relatively quickly, and why it is wearing on the sides more than in the middle.

He looked at it and told me the tire shows that I "Trail Break" when I ride.  He told me he rides the same way and wears his tires identical to the way I do.  He showed me that the tread on the right side was worn a bit more than the tread on the left side - he said that is because on the right turns it is an inside corner and the radius is tighter than it is on the left hand turns (if you stay in your lane).....and you need to slow down more for the tighter curve radius.  When he and I go into a corner and lean over we are still on the front brake and it results in the side of the tread getting wear under breaking, and the tread blocks wear at an angle as the turning and breaking forces are pushing them crooked.

The Bridgestone Battlax BT45 tires have very small blocks on the sides, and that results in a somewhat flexible tread on the sides.  I bought a Pirelli Sport Demon to put on the front and that may be a better tire for my riding style (or lack of it).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #23 - 06/08/17 at 11:08:54

The fifteen year old tire is finally done with eight thousand miles. I don't know why it lasted so long. My 05 survived for five thousand miles, and so did the brakes. I replaced them with EBC yesterday.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 06/12/17 at 18:55:36

Got my book. Sure nuff, stiffening/freezing up is in the front of the book. And my idea about what to do instead, gentle throttle, relax, ride through it, no guarantee you won't crash, but your odds are better.
Lots to read. Thanks to whoever suggested this book. I'm a ways in, and not looking forward to having to stop reading.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #25 - 06/21/17 at 19:40:57

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 06/03/17 at 18:02:35:
After you're done reading "Twist of the Wrist" -which is the motorcycle bible - I suggest "Total Control" by Lee Parks. It's geared towards street riding.

Tell me Justin, what type of grip do you keep on the grips? Do you ride with a "death grip" or are your hands nice and lose/open? I ride with my throttle hand open; thumb and index finger working the throttle and my next two fingers laying across the top of the brake handle. Same for the clutch side. This grip relaxes your entire upper body.

Ruttly is 100% correct about looking down the road and not AT the road. Moving your head in the direction of the turn centers you body over the bike and helps to stabilize the bike through a turn. Don't sit ridged on the bike, move with it.

Enjoy the book(s).

Anyone who posts something to me and I act like I didn't see it, I didn't See IT!

Great , Total Control, check,, and thanks.

Twist talks about head, eyes, entering a turn.
Get body set ahead of the turn, pick where you will turn, get speed adjusted, look at where you want to be later Just before you actually turn.
I'm seeing the outside chikkinstrip titties are missing in places on the front.

Absolutely stuffed the left peg today. It wasn't that slow pressure and slight scraping sound, lurched the bike,

I measured 4.325" I'm sure the suspension traveled.
If that zilch looking area is from the dust wipers,then that's the travel.

http://www.ridinginthezone.com/the-power-of-the-quick-turn/

Been reading the choices..

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #26 - 08/21/18 at 16:25:04

I'm resurrecting this topic because it's always good to review good technique. In that regard I came across this video this evening and I thought Trail Braking was really explained well. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPE67XqGsV4

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #27 - 08/22/18 at 01:23:30

On the fourth pass through the book I got a new detail.
Pick your turn point
Just before you get there
Look up the road.
Man that's hard..
But I've seen exit speeds get more consistent.
Yeah, I'm running the throttle between thumb and forefinger in turns.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 08/22/18 at 10:11:08

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 08/21/18 at 16:25:04:
I'm resurrecting this topic because it's always good to review good technique. In that regard I came across this video this evening and I thought Trail Braking was really explained well. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPE67XqGsV4
---------------------------

Good video.   I'm really surprised that nobody talks about the increased traction you gain with trail braking.  It's not hard to figure out that you are increasing pressure on the front end which will create more downforce on the tire.  Overlooked is the increased friction being applied to the leading edge of the contact point on the front tire from the braking forces

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 08/22/18 at 19:01:49

This is a good thread.  I admire JOG for his honesty about his riding fears and I really liked Ruttly's comparisons with a horse running along and a rider keeping his attention on the road ahead, let the bike ride through it.  Just yesterday I found that I had purchased the book "Total Control" some time ago and left it on a shelf and never read it.  This thread has motivated me to read that book and I'll start tonight.  I do some trail braking with the front wheel but not always.
Like JOG my twistys are narrow county or township roads with lots of blind turns and anything can be around the corner such as a tree limb.  A couple weeks ago I hit what we call a Turkey Vulture as it flew into my path.  That was quite an impact and knocked my front wheel off course for a second but it corrected itself on it's own.  So I know what JOG is thinking when coming around those curves.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 04:27:14

General CategoryThe Cafe › Trail Braking

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.