Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Best Lubricant for Idle Adjust Screw (Read 126 times)
Andy RN

Eugene, OR
Best Lubricant for Idle Adjust Screw
05/30/17 at 18:05:43

Forgive me if this is a silly question, but what is the appropriate substance to use if I want to lubricate the idle adjust on the carb?

I have WD40 and PB Blaster on hand, would either of those do, or should I use something else?

Thanks!

US Navy (99-03). Novice, self-taught mechanic. 2003 Savage with 44k miles. 2015 S-40 with 5k miles.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Best Lubricant for Idle Adjust Screw
Reply #1 - 05/30/17 at 18:11:24

Clean with carb cleaner. Lube with a shot of white lithium grease.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 05/30/17 at 19:10:55

WD evaporates
Look for a Zoom Spout oil container.
Mine are OOLD,, they refill and last years.
Your lubricant shelf isn't properly fleshed out yet.
You need Antisieze, too.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Andy RN

Eugene, OR
Reply #3 - 05/31/17 at 10:40:26

Thanks, guys.

Yeah... I think the root of the question is what are the different kinds of lubricants, how do they work, and when are they appropriate and not appropriate?

I found this article here which I'm enjoying:
http://hackaday.com/2016/05/17/beyond-wd-40-lubes-for-the-home-shop/

Interesting excerpt:
"In 2012, a group of engineering students from Drexel University studied alternatives to commercial penetrating oils, which are often expensive or hard to come by in developing countries. In a controlled series of experiments, they determined that a simple mixture of vegetable oil and acetone was far superior to WD-40 in reducing the breakout torque of nuts rusted onto bolts. Similar comparisons show that a 50-50 mix of automatic transmission fluid (ATF) and acetone beats the commercial penetrating oils at a fraction of the cost."

US Navy (99-03). Novice, self-taught mechanic. 2003 Savage with 44k miles. 2015 S-40 with 5k miles.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #4 - 05/31/17 at 11:20:47

Wow, it took college students to confirm in 2012 what most old timers have known for decades (I'm now an old timer). A 50:50 mixture of ATF:Acetone is a great penetrating oil. BTW, WD-40, being mostly Naphtha, isn't a penetrate, it's a cleaner.

IP Logged
Andy RN

Eugene, OR
Reply #5 - 05/31/17 at 11:21:36

Hey Justin, I searched for "antisieze" on the forum, and boy did your name come up a lot  Grin

Alright... So it also seems like antisieze is the stuff to use when two dissimilar metals are in contact with one another... And now all I have to do is become a master at judging dissimilar metals. I guess color/appearance is the way to start.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #6 - 05/31/17 at 11:26:04

Andy RN wrote on 05/31/17 at 11:21:36:
Alright... So it also seems like antisieze is the stuff to use when two dissimilar metals are in contact with one another... And now all I have to do is become a master at judging dissimilar metals. I guess color/appearance is the way to start.

Color is actually a good guide. Also, any bolt that you want to reuse that has the finish worn off the shank should also get anti-seize (I typically use anti-seize on axle bolts and swing arm bolts). Don't use anti-seize on bolts that should NEVER come off like the brake caliper or sprocket bolts. Usually these types of bolts will get Locktite.

IP Logged
Andy RN

Eugene, OR
Reply #7 - 05/31/17 at 11:32:21

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 05/31/17 at 11:20:47:
Wow, it took college students to confirm in 2012 what most old timers have known for decades (I'm now an old timer). A 50:50 mixture of ATF:Acetone is a great penetrating oil. BTW, WD-40, being mostly Naphtha, isn't a penetrate, it's a cleaner.

Hahaha... yeah Gary. That's academia for you - common sense is often scrutinized Smiley

But I do like the fact they did controlled experiments. I'm a fan of the scientific method.

Thanks for mentioning WD40 as cleaner... I'm reading that a lot. The website for WD40 actually mentions that.

Here's an interesting page from WD40 about myths and legends... that some people claim it helps them catch fish, or helps their arthritis! Smiley
https://wd40.com/cool-stuff/myths-legends-fun-facts

IP Logged
Andy RN

Eugene, OR
Reply #8 - 05/31/17 at 11:36:02

Loctite... another topic I will be researching soon. Thanks again, Gary!

Right now I'm a little stuck on trying to differentiate when to use lithium grease and when to use antisieze.... Got any recommendations?

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #9 - 05/31/17 at 12:39:34

One additional note...when using carb cleaner it is NOT a good idea to let it sit in the carb or expose it excessively to plastic, rubber, or the carb diaphragm.  Carb cleaner is good for cleaning the gummy, grimey, varnish type crud from the carb and blowing out the little orifices but it isn't nice to plastics and rubber over time. When I clean a carb, regardless of whether or not there are plastic or rubber parts in there, I always follow up the carb cleaner with WD40 to help wash out the carb cleaner and lubricate anything that the carb cleaner 'dried out'.

I'm not a chemist or a professional mechanic, just my opinion after having worked on this bike as well as having cleaned and rebuilt carbs on a multitude of mowers, weed eaters, chainsaws, and several other toys around the house and this cleaning technique hasn't failed me yet.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #10 - 05/31/17 at 12:46:51

Andy RN wrote on 05/31/17 at 11:36:02:
Loctite... another topic I will be researching soon. Thanks again, Gary!

Right now I'm a little stuck on trying to differentiate when to use lithium grease and when to use antisieze.... Got any recommendations?

Use grease on things that are supposed to move/turn. Use anti-seize on things that should remain fixed, and therefore corrosion can occur.

IP Logged
Andy RN

Eugene, OR
Reply #11 - 05/31/17 at 14:07:54

It's making more sense now. Thanks, Gary. Thanks, Stew!

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #12 - 06/01/17 at 15:18:11

Andy RN wrote on 05/30/17 at 18:05:43:
Forgive me if this is a silly question, but what is the appropriate substance to use if I want to lubricate the idle adjust on the carb?

I have WD40 and PB Blaster on hand, would either of those do, or should I use something else?

Thanks!

Just a word:  WD40 does NOT lubricate.  Check the marketing and labeling on the can:  no mention of lubrication.  It has none!

When I was a purchasing agent for a huge Rubbermaid mfg. plant, WD40 was not allowed in the building because it actually washes off any residue lubricant!  I like for a spray to use LPS #1 or #2.  #3 is for rust prevention.

For what you want, I think the best is Marvel Mystery Oil in a flexible spout squirt can.  Works great.

By the way, WD40 IS great for water displacement on electrical components, and for things that already have dried grease in them like door hinges.  It softens the grease and allows it to re-flow back into the wear areas.

I have also heard that WD40 is great for sore muscles and joints. !!!!  Don't drink it, just put it on topically like a linament.  That's what some say.  I've never done it!

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 06/01/17 at 15:35:01

Water Displacement 40..
Failed 39 times,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Andy RN

Eugene, OR
Reply #14 - 06/01/17 at 17:58:28

Piedmont - awesome description, thanks

Justin - Bwahahahaha!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 11:26:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Best Lubricant for Idle Adjust Screw

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.