Ethanol blows....... (Read 58 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Ethanol blows.......
05/27/17 at 10:25:51

Took the boat out yesterday after work.....
First time since last year.
I stabilized 20 gallons of fuel in her tank.
Ran it into the carbs (3).
Fired it up after her winter sleep on the muffs.
Thought it was good to go, both main, 2 stroke, and kicker, 4 stroke ran good on the trailer,'.
Put her in the water.
Fired right up.
Pulled away from the dock and eased her back to life.
Was running GREAT...
Then a minute or so she starts to slow down with no throttle movement, crap.
I then get some lean sneezing, darn.
I shut her off.
Fool with fuel mixture but know I am way too rich, and suspect heavily it's clogged jets.
Raise her out of the water and start the little motor up to get me back to the dock.
Running until about half way back, she craps out.
WTF, now I break out the paddle, darn.

A guy comes by and pulls me the half mile back, thank you.

Get her home, pull the carbs, and they have lots of amber crystals in the bowl.....
F'n ethanol, seperated and clung to the walls of the carbs.
Cleaned them up, reassemble, put her back in the water and she runs great.....
But what a major pain the the azz!

Why can't we get rid of that stuff now?
Wasn't it introduced as a way to make fuel stock go further during times of shortage?

It's junk, just glad I know how to work on things or I would be out prolly 5 bills!

End o' rant....
You all have a good weekend  Angry

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Ethanol blows.......
Reply #1 - 05/27/17 at 11:43:00

Do you have any chance of finding Avgas 100LL out there?

It is my storage fuel of choice.  Airplanes get stored a lot, and you can't have them plugging up the carb parts...it doesn't gum anything up, and it won't corrode anything, and it evaporates and just leaves behind a small amount of blue dye.

I am not suggesting you run your boat on it all the time - just when you are ready to put it in storage (and run the carb dry before you put anything away).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #2 - 05/27/17 at 12:58:05

Dave wrote on 05/27/17 at 11:43:00:
Do you have any chance of finding Avgas 100LL out there?

It is my storage fuel of choice.  Airplanes get stored a lot, and you can't have them plugging up the carb parts...it doesn't gum anything up, and it won't corrode anything, and it evaporates and just leaves behind a small amount of blue dye.

I am not suggesting you run your boat on it all the time - just when you are ready to put it in storage (and run the carb dry before you put anything away).

No Dave, no airplane fuel around....
Guess I could scoot up to Whidbey Naval Air Station (Top Gun) and drain a few gallons under the darkness of night on the wing tank test ports  Grin

However, I do have one station with corn crap free juice available....
My wife even remarked, when I showed her one of the carb bowls, after she pinched her nose from the fumes.....

"Why didn't you buy the ethanol free gas.......idiot"

This fall I will prolly fight the line and tank up.
I'm thinking if I run the fuel out enough during boating seasons, it shouldn't be an issue, right Dave?  

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 05/27/17 at 15:18:07

I sometimes buy gas and haul barrels in the truck. If I'm not gonna use it right away I don't put more than thirty gallons in. I built a small bung with an air fitting, and ran a 1" hose through the other one and down to the bottom. Regulate the pressure down to about nothing,and it'll Move that gas out.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #4 - 05/27/17 at 17:26:27

I started using SeaFoam instead of  staybil , 5 years now ... 😉.   It makes me happy .☺
If it can desolve the debree left behind from old gas , then it can keep that same degree  in check before it forms.  
Works for me.
Good luck with it !

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 08:31:41

General CategoryThe Cafe › Ethanol blows.......

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.