Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cam chain tensioner revisited yet again (Read 63 times)
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Cam chain tensioner revisited yet again
05/26/17 at 15:08:07

In the wayback ,when I first joined SS.com ,I posted that in  June of 2014, I'd taken a trip from my home in N.Y to TN totaling 2100 miles in three days. Prier to the trip I'd performed a "Versy" type extension of my cam tensioner(19,000 miles) ,with the only difference being no slot or pin and no small spring under the paw to allow it to engage and hold the piston locked in place. thus turning it into a shock absorber using only the main spring to regulate pressure on the chain. I' am fast approaching 28 ,000 miles, so......I broke down ,got a gasket ,oil and filter and jumped in! when I took the cover off a was surprised to find that my cam chain tensioner to be extended only about 1 mm in 9,000 miles .I buttoned back up ,took a high speed ride! top speed 92 not bad for a stock motor 22 years old.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Re: Cam chain tensioner revisited yet again
Reply #1 - 05/26/17 at 16:32:55

I'm with you batman.

With my limited experience with this engine I am convinced that the pawl causes a lot of unnecessary stress on the cam chain because the expansion of the engine is more than the mechanism can accommodate.

My bike has only about 5500 miles on it but when I decide to go into the cam tensioner I will definitely remove the pawl. I will however fudge a bit by putting a pin inside the tensioner plunger to prevent back movement, initially at least.

My estimate of the increase in cylinder height with expansion is at least .025". which is far more than the pawl and plunger can accommodate.

We shall see. Smiley

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Re: Cam chain tensioner revisited yet again
Reply #2 - 05/26/17 at 17:54:27

thanks batman. that's brilliant! good on you for doing the experiment.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 21:33:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam chain tensioner revisited yet again

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.