Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
External Combustion Engine (Read 88 times)
Andy RN

Eugene, OR
External Combustion Engine
05/25/17 at 22:18:23

In my studies, I see the phrase "Internal Combustion Engine" often, which led to me Google "External Combustion"... an example being the Steam Engine... but the concept gets bigger... how about non-heat engines?

Wikipedia tells me that the basic definition of an engine is a machine that converts one form of energy into mechanical energy... our motorcycle engine is an internal combustion engine, and obviously there are external combustion engines, but they are connected by the property that they use heat to create force... so there are engines that don't use heat... like elastic engines in wind-up toys... and I suppose electric engines that use magnetic fields...(ahh, the interesting world of Tesla).

There's also non-Combustion heat engines too, like nuclear reactors... they are heat producing, but not via combustion, but rather radioactivity to create heat.

Wow. I love it. It's a big world.

« Last Edit: 05/26/17 at 01:16:19 by Andy RN »  

US Navy (99-03). Novice, self-taught mechanic. 2003 Savage with 44k miles. 2015 S-40 with 5k miles.
  IP Logged
Andy RN

Eugene, OR
Re: External Combustion Engine
Reply #1 - 05/26/17 at 00:17:08

Going further down the internet rabbit hole took me to concepts like intermittent combustion and continuous combustion, and rocket and jet engines...

Here's a guy who does slow-mo photography and builds transparent engines:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFH4dWqQQOYkyJZUGT4q5pg

US Navy (99-03). Novice, self-taught mechanic. 2003 Savage with 44k miles. 2015 S-40 with 5k miles.
  IP Logged
FL Savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Orlando/Eustis FL
Reply #2 - 05/26/17 at 00:42:58

Andy RN wrote on 05/25/17 at 22:18:23:
Wikipedia tells me that the basic definition of an engine is a machine that converts one form of energy into mechanical energy... apparently, our motorcycle engine is an internal combustion engine, and obviously there are external combustion engines, but they connected by the property that they use heat to create force... so there are engines that don't use heat... like elastic engines in wind-up toys... and I suppose electric engines that use magnetic fields...(ahh, the interesting world of Tesla).

It doesn't have to be heat into energy. Energy is static or kinetic. A waterwheel is driven by kinetic. A wind up toy uses static, same for a gas engine.
Electric engine?
There are motors and engines.
The S40 Savage has a 652cc gas Engine, it also has a starter (aka electric Motor).

IP Logged
Andy RN

Eugene, OR
Reply #3 - 05/26/17 at 01:12:03

Thanks, FL.

It seems like a common definition of engine is to "convert one form of energy into motion"... so by that broad def, it seems to me that "electric engine" seems a reasonable term, but I understand that obeying rules of popular parlance is worthwhile. Nonetheless, the categories and concepts fascinate me more, if only to highlight similarities and differences in the world of engines (and motors).

I began wondering how to classify a hot air ballon? I mean... it converts chemical energy into a force that's applied to body which ends with motion... like hot exhaust gasses in the cylinder of an engine pushing on a piston, there's hot air pushing on the skin of the balloon... although maybe the distinction between motion and lift/buoyancy are really significantly here. Still, the ways of creating the force are kinda related.

And then there's kites and sails... however, they don't convert energy - they merely use existing forces. Maybe a balloon could fall into that category too, in the sense that it doesn't convert energy, but rather takes advantage of force that's created from manipulating the environment.

That makes me wonder about horse drawn carriages too... or perhaps dog sleds... again forces are used to create motion, but there is no conversion of energy - merely a transference, so one could not call them "engines" I suppose.

Just hypothetical musing. Outstanding wastes of time Smiley

IP Logged
Andy RN

Eugene, OR
Reply #4 - 05/26/17 at 01:50:49

And now it's onto Jet engines... OMG, I wish I could live another 100 years. I would never get bored studying this... or better yet, building it!

There's a lot of people online who seem to be confusing "jet engines" with rocket engines... I mean, yes, they both use a jet, but "jets" (like the one that flew me to Hawaii, or the ones that fly for the Air Force) use turbines in their engine too... That's a big difference. Yes, rocket engines don't need air - that's freaking awesome... but that's not the only big difference (but it seems to be the most prominent comment I read about the differences between "jet" engines and rocket engines)... I mean you can't shut off a rocket engine, and there's no turbine in a rocket engine. That seems pretty significant to me. I think I like the phrase "turbojet" better. I feel so bad for turbines... they are so neglected.

Rocket and turbojet engines, another great example of internal combustion (IC) engines... but there are rocket engines that aren't in the IC category. Case in point:

I love how you can play games with these concepts. Mix and match them!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 05/26/17 at 02:40:09

And I suppose you could argue that it is all based on "solar energy", as all of the power to do anything has come from the sun if you chase the source back far enough  Our gasoline and diesel fuel comes from the plants that grew,died and decomposed very long ago.  Wind and water energy is using the movement of air and water that was driven by the sun.  The wood, coal, natural gas, oil being used to power the boiler to run the steam engine all came from the plant growth powered by the sun.

For a look at some really early engines - Google Sterling or Atmoshpheric engines.  Early pumping engines for mines used to spray steam into a cylinder, then add cold water, and the condensing steam would create a vacuum that moved a large piston.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newcomen_atmospheric_engine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stirling_engine

« Last Edit: 05/26/17 at 05:44:56 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 05/26/17 at 05:39:32

Needs more fishnet.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Andy RN

Eugene, OR
Reply #7 - 05/26/17 at 10:32:52

"Since Savery's patent had not yet run out, Newcomen was forced to come to an arrangement with Savery and operate under the latter's patent, as its term was much longer than any Newcomen could have easily obtained. During the latter years of its currency, the patent belonged to an unincorporated company, The Proprietors of the Invention for raising water by fire."... wiki entry for Newcomen Engine

Raising Water by Fire...Gotta love the poetic sense there.

The Newcomen engine isn't that far off from an IC engine, in that gas expansion happens in a cylinder to move a piston... And both Newcomen's engine and the S40 are reciprocating Smiley Interesting how the Newcomen decided to uses the force of a contracting gas (vacuum), rather than the expansion (the water boiling into steam).

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 05/26/17 at 11:29:47

I am a fan of big singles....internally combusted!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MLkbHkxk-g

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 05/26/17 at 11:53:36

Dave wrote on 05/26/17 at 11:29:47:

I think Jules Verne went to the moon with that... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Andy RN

Eugene, OR
Reply #10 - 05/26/17 at 12:54:33

Dave wrote on 05/26/17 at 11:29:47:

Ha! I like it at 160 RPM

Takes me to this recent fashion:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #11 - 05/26/17 at 17:59:12

Dave wrote on 05/26/17 at 02:40:09:
And I suppose you could argue that it is all based on "solar energy", as all of the power to do anything has come from the sun if you chase the source back far enough  Our gasoline and diesel fuel comes from the plants that grew,died and decomposed very long ago.  Wind and water energy is using the movement of air and water that was driven by the sun.  The wood, coal, natural gas, oil being used to power the boiler to run the steam engine all came from the plant growth powered by the sun.

For a look at some really early engines - Google Sterling or Atmoshpheric engines.  Early pumping engines for mines used to spray steam into a cylinder, then add cold water, and the condensing steam would create a vacuum that moved a large piston.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newcomen_atmospheric_engine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stirling_engine

I guess you could also add geothermal energy - gravitational forces compressing matter and producing heart ... then again: no Sun, no Earth to compress.

Carl Sagan summed it up well - if you wanna make an apple pie from scratch, you first need to create a universe!

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 07:03:02

General CategoryThe Cafe › External Combustion Engine

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.