Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
To B or not to B... That is the question. (Read 185 times)
catfishunter99
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WI
To B or not to B... That is the question.
05/25/17 at 18:02:42

Backrest that is!  So I got a boat load of take off parts delivered to the house today I bought from BSTON.  Great all around guy and fellow forum member.  Anyway the parts are from a 2003 and my bike is a 2006.  As you know, the seats are one of the few changes between the two and I'm having a tough time deciding which to choose.  I also like the look of the backrest that came with the parts but the wife claims she will not ride with me so I really don't need it  Sad.  
My options are below and BTW I also have both rear fenders so that is not an issue.  I know it comes down to personal preference but I am looking for some of you experienced riders input on the best choice.

1. Leave as is stock 06 seat with no backrest
2. Add 03 backrest to rear of 06 seat
3. Use 03 seat without backrest
4. Use 03 seat and backrest

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: To B or not to B... That is the question.
Reply #1 - 05/25/17 at 18:25:13

Ok, I'll chime in:

I think the one piece seat is better looking than the older two piece. Iv'e never sat on the older style so I don't have any idea which is more comfortable.

I'm not crazy about the looks of backrests, but, even if you don't ride two up, a short backrest or sissy bar is really handy if you  ever want to strap anything on the back of the seat.

Yeah, I know, probably not much help Smiley

IP Logged
catfishunter99
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WI
Reply #2 - 05/25/17 at 18:31:20

Thanks​ for the input!  I am definitely looking for opinions on looks, comfort, and functionality so keep them coming!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #3 - 05/25/17 at 20:45:53

To me those are all personal preferences ! Use the one that makes your butt happy , looks-it's your bike make it how YOU like it , not much for the backrest , however they are great for tieing stuff to bed roll , 12 pack , dead deer , etc.

Enjoy Catfish

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
TheNaughtyLemur

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #4 - 05/26/17 at 00:16:46

I have the 2003 backrest on a 2006 seat. Shorter bolts were needed to install. It's a great way to hold my helmet to the bike while it's not on. And a great way to secure the helmet to the bike (with a cable lock running through the visor and through the backrest).

My girlfriend doesn't like riding pillion either, but I like the way it looks and it's been practical.

06 Suzuki S40 - 140/90-15 Rear Tyre - Raptor Petcock - MAC 2" Header and Exhaust Kit
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 05/26/17 at 04:55:08

Yes, it is very important to have a seat that is comfortable for your "female of choice".
I changed the seat and added a backrest on my sporty 1200 for my wife.  
I like riding with her but she was not comfortable nor did she feel secure with the old seat.   The bike does not look as sleek as before BUT i prefer riding with with her, and she really appreciates that I was willing to do that FOR HER.

IP Logged
Papa Bear

Canada ... near the Motor City
Reply #6 - 05/26/17 at 05:28:40

I ride 99% of the time one up but I like the kit bag secured to the backrest screws to hold water/phone etc.

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 05/26/17 at 05:36:15

I had a one piece seat and I have a two piece seat. It's a ton more comfortable.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #8 - 05/26/17 at 06:26:56

My bike came with the backrest.  While I  like and appreciate (and am often amazed by) the customizations many have created with their Savage, my bike is my commuter vehicle in decent-to-good weather so I still need functionality.  Problem was I wasn't too fond of the look with the backrest so I took it off and added saddlebags.  But the backrest is very handy for strapping things to it.  Like you said, personal choice.  

But if I had the parts on hand like you do, I would convert to a single seat using just the front part of the 2-piece seat and cover the back of the fender with a bib to hide the holes.  That would be my personal preference.  Let us know which direction you go.

I know there's a lot of pics for you to browse and I haven't done a whole lot to my bike, but here's how it looked stock and how I ride it now.  I think I need to clean up the back end; Suzuki gave us a pretty ugly license plate mount.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 05/26/17 at 06:35:14

The Big Ugly on it is that chrome trash can they call a muffler.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
catfishunter99
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WI
Reply #10 - 05/26/17 at 06:38:29

Thanks for the advice so far guys!  I am thinking I will go with the backrest as I can always take it off if I get sick of it.  The seat is a little tougher decision.  I may see about using the 03 rear fender and add a hole for the rear bolt to mount the 1 piece seat so I can switch back and forth.  I just have to get out to the garage to see if the u shaped bracket welded to the 03 fender for the tab that the rear 2 piece seat slides under will be in the way if switching to the 1 piece seat.  I will check back and let you know.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #11 - 05/26/17 at 06:51:10

Personally I like mu backrest. Didn't have it when I bough the bike but have been very happy with it. I rarely if ever ride 2 up, but it is a great place to strap things to and act as a helmet holder when needed. I think it is just personal preference when it comes to the aesthetics, but to me it makes the bike look a little beefier having that little backrest there.

IMG_20160511_080621small_002.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
catfishunter99
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WI
Reply #12 - 05/26/17 at 10:29:55

Well I played around a little today with the various combinations and I think I landed on option 2.  2006 1 piece seat with 2003 backrest.  I took both seats for a test ride and didn't care for the feel of the gap between the front and rear seats from the 2003 on my rear end. Also realized if I use the 2003 rear fender I would need to remove the u shaped bracket to use the I piece seat.  Please continue to chime in with ideas.

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #13 - 05/26/17 at 11:20:34

Sounds like you got it sorted out.  Ride it like that for a while and re-think.  You have enough parts to change it up every once in a while to keep it fresh for you.
Maybe switch to quick release hardware for your seat and change as needed.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
catfishunter99
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WI
Reply #14 - 05/26/17 at 15:54:56

Thanks, I will do just that!  Learned something else today as well
 The u shaped bracket on the 03 fender clears the 1piece seat so I installed a threaded insert in the fender​and plan to use it so I can change seats anytime.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 03:29:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › To B or not to B... That is the question.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.