Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Exhaust pipe and tuning (Read 405 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Exhaust pipe and tuning
Reply #15 - 05/26/17 at 06:14:22

VortecCPI wrote on 05/26/17 at 05:54:25:
If the idle mixture screw has no impact you may have way too much throttle position and be pulling off the main.  If you bottom it out and the bike still idles it is obviously getting plenty of fuel elsewhere.  A leaking cutoff/enrichener circuit might also cause such an issue.

The pilot circuit has 2 outlets into the carb throat....one is a bypass that allows fuel to flow before the mixture screw, and the other one passes through the adjustment screw.  So the screw doesn't control all the fuel at idle.....it controls how much is being added - so a Pilot Jet that is too big can allow enough fuel to flow with the mixture screw being turned all the way in.  (If the idle speed is set too high when making the adjustment, it is also possible the fuel is coming from the jet needle and adjustment of the pilot screw will have no noticeable effect).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Old Guy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Granada Hills, Kalifornia
Reply #16 - 05/29/17 at 20:43:33

That’s a neat diagram and description for the stock carb. I think I will stick to the old round slide carbs as I understand them better.

It’s done!  I made up a throttle cable, mounted the carb and started it up. As expected the “stock” jetting from the VM36 was not correct. However the throttle response was much better than with the stock carb.  Changed the needle, needle jet, main jet and pilot jet and it started to come in.  Did a Goldilocks switchout  of pilot jets (too lean, too rich, just right) and  we’re set.  These round slide carbs are so easy to tune….

Quick trip around the block shows good response at all throttle settings. I was able to get it up to speed and it was still pulling hard in 4th   gear till the wind got under my visor and started to pull my open faced dirt bike helmet off.

Will try again tomorrow with a full coverage helmet and get some plug readings. I don’t think the ox sensor will be needed, especially as I would have to remove the muffler to fit the exhaust clamp.

Total cost for the carb conversion including K & N filter, carb adapter, DIY throttle cable, lots of jets, new VM36 carb was about $220. I would suggest anybody wanting to do the carb conversion to get the whole setup from Lancer. He has a turnkey solution. I had to do a lot of fabrication on the throttle cable and lucked out on the carb jets. If you aren’t adept at shade tree mechanics, soldering, etc., and don’t have lots of experience with carb tuning it could be a frustrating experience.

I don’t mind spending the time and effort but then I’m retired and have lots of patience with mechanical things. People, not so much.

Quitting while I am ahead. Now I am ready to sell the bike and start on a new project. I’m too old to go out and play in Southern California traffic on a motorcycle. Anybody want a Tracker Savage? Current registration and insurance.

John in Kalifornia

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #17 - 05/29/17 at 21:15:12

Old Guy, Index your throttle housing to 0 , 1/4 , 1/2 , 3/4 , WOT then go ride it start down at idle and watch your throttle while riding , make mental notes of where it's lacking and what it's doing. Your in LA area sea level ? Let me find my note book and I will get you some jetting specs or get a hold of Lancer he's the wizard either way we will get you real close and you can dial it in.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Old Guy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 05/30/17 at 10:10:14

Hi All,

Had to order another K & N filter. The RU-1710 fit the stock carb but is too small for the VM36. I will continue with tuning with new filter.. Don't know how much itr will affect carb jetting. I'm close to sea level in the SF Valley.

Might have to find a "less urban" area to do the jetting. Too much traffic here for much steady state running and tuning, unless I do it at night.

John in Kalifornia

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #19 - 05/30/17 at 20:04:05

Slide 2.5
Needle clip on middle grove
Pilot 20
Main 190

Mine as it was delivered from Lancer
Spot On just set mixture & idle

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Old Guy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 05/31/17 at 23:20:40

Ruttly,

Those numbers sound about right to me, same as what I came up with on the PJ, slide and needle clip. Haven’t set the main jet yet. Waiting for the new filter to come in the mail.

I took the top off the stock carb and found some blue RTV repair of the diaphragm. I think I did that way back when I first got the bike. It seemed to be OK but I dunno. I feel a lot better now about going to the VM36 and not wasting time with the stock carb.

I tried the air fuel meter today with the sensor stuck up the tailpipe. Too loud even at idle for me.  It did not work, just read 22.4. I think there is just not enough consistent gas flow to get a good reading with the tailpipe mounted clamp.  Of course, an ox sensor closer to the exhaust port would be better but I'm not going to weld a bung on my expensive pipe.  A “test pipe” would not have the same back pressure as the one I have so readings would be relatively useless, except for a ballpark setup. I think I’m pretty close as it is.

Will have to settle for plug reading with a throttle chop. I did some rewiring so that I can kill the motor with the right hand while pulling the clutch with the left. Let you know what I find.

John in Kalifornia

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #21 - 06/01/17 at 10:15:27

I'm at 86 ft elevation so those specs should be good depending on your exhaust. But definitely in the ball park range. Let us know your final specs !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 09:37:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Exhaust pipe and tuning

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.