Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
CCT Destruction! (Read 241 times)
Andy RN

Eugene, OR
CCT Destruction!
05/23/17 at 12:51:27

>18mm?

The opening to the adjuster housing got a good thrashing...

And this is the face you make when you can't cry (like when your GF is taking pictures)...

Put me down for 43,838 miles!

The spring came out of the housing, but it appeared to be in good shape - no bends or anything, which leads me to believe it sat in the bottom of the clutch cover (rather than swim around). So I can hope.

So now that I know... where else should I check for damage?

Thanks!

US Navy (99-03). Novice, self-taught mechanic. 2003 Savage with 44k miles. 2015 S-40 with 5k miles.
  IP Logged
Andy RN

Eugene, OR
Re: CCT Destruction!
Reply #1 - 05/23/17 at 13:17:13

Wait... there's a spring lodged inside the plunger...

So can anyone tell me about the spring that did fall out when I removed the clutch cover? Show here beside an 8mm socket for scale:

Thanks!

US Navy (99-03). Novice, self-taught mechanic. 2003 Savage with 44k miles. 2015 S-40 with 5k miles.
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #2 - 05/23/17 at 13:27:43

My guess is the spring broke and a few coils are what is lodged inside the plunger.  The rest is what was inside the cover.

Bummer man.  Hope it all turns out OK.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #3 - 05/23/17 at 14:02:21

Mr. Verslagen is where you need to go.

If there are no other bits floating around you may have dodged a bullet.
Metal in the engine is your worst enemy.

Andy, I hope it all turns out well looks like you may get away with it.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #4 - 05/23/17 at 14:10:28

Andy,
How long did it run like that? Must have made a hell of a racket. :'(

Are the gears ok? They look good.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #5 - 05/23/17 at 14:14:13

There are some places you can stick a magnetic pickup tool through to the other side of the lower end of the motor.  If you have one of these, it would be good to fish around and see what comes up.
Down where I have the paper towels stuffed in the pic.

magnet.jpg

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #6 - 05/23/17 at 14:31:34

Andy,

Find out if anybody knows  how many coils are on the stock tensioner spring.
It may be possible to prove that the remaining spring pieces are all there is.
The aluminum that is missing in action may be your worst problem.
I've got my fingers crossed for you.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 05/23/17 at 14:36:11

I'd have both sides off, light wire, small rags, diesel,, compressed air would be great.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Andy RN

Eugene, OR
Reply #8 - 05/24/17 at 15:42:13

Thanks, guys.

Norm - Life's got me busy, but I will remove the spring and count the coils ASAIK. It did make noise, but it wasn't as bad as I would have thought. I didn't have a place to work on the bike, and it was my only transportation, so I put near 300 miles on it after the noise started.

Justin - What would I use the light wire for? What would I be checking on the other side?

Everybody - Do you think I need to remove the engine? I mean, I was thinking that I would probably have to measure the cam chain (the 21-pin thing) to make sure it's in spec - and I would have to remove the engine for that, right?

Also, I have read that these kinds of failures can cause timing problems, and that the valves can hit the piston and so forth... like here:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1172586621/56#56

So I would have to take out the engine to check all that, right? Or is there another way to proceed?

Many thanks, again!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 05/24/17 at 16:15:54

Sorry,,

I'd be flushing it with diesel and looking for any tiny specs to mop up with the little rag tied to my wife..
I'd be gutting the oil filter and looking for signs of metal in it, any metal, aluminium,
I would consider trying to back flush the oil galley, if there is much sign the engine ran a bit pumping carp in the oil.
Maybe, its a thought,,
That's a bit much, see what the others say.
I get really anxious about chunks of ground up metal running around, oil pumps can be hurt, rotten mess,, good luck with it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Andy RN

Eugene, OR
Reply #10 - 05/24/17 at 17:55:26

Oh, don't be sorry. I'm a novice mechanic, so I have to ask questions that are pretty basic. For example, you mentioned flushing the oil galley, and I don't know what or where that is  Tongue

When flushing, what tools would I need? Specifically, would I need power tools or an air compressor (I think someone mentioned that earlier). All I have now are hand tools - hence I ask.

I'm pretty sure the oil filter had fine grains of metal in it, but I will take a pic and post it just to be sure.

I'm going to read up on the forum and Clymer's before I move forward. As I have a day job, this process might take several weeks before I have a game plan and gather all the tools/instruments I need. So please accept my apologies if I periodically shoot out emails and beginner questions over the next few weeks. Thanks in advance for your patience!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 05/24/17 at 18:17:10

I doubt that you got anything in an oil galley.....it would first have to get past the screen on the bottom of the oil pump, then get through the pump, and then through the filter - there won't be anything large enough to cause any damage coming out of the filter.....it's job is to stop that kind of stuff.

There could be something laying in the bottom of the sump, and it wouldn't hurt anything to try and flush that out the drain hole with a diesel fuel or kerosene wash.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 05/25/17 at 06:09:31

Take Dave's post . I'm clearly not firing on all three cylinders.

IP Logged
Andy RN

Eugene, OR
Reply #13 - 05/25/17 at 10:26:01

Thanks, Dave. I will put diesel sump flush on my list of things to do.

If this happened to your bike, would you do anything else?

Additional info: I'm over 43K miles and I think I have the "dreaded head plug leak".

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 05/25/17 at 10:56:14

If this happened to your bike, would you do anything else?

Yes. You should do your best imitation of the winner of the big prize on the Price is Right.

Usually they are D.O.A. when the tensioner pukes the spring.

You made 45,000 miles? I wonder if anyone has ever been in there...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 11:25:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › CCT Destruction!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.