Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14
Send Topic Print
Second Trip to Kickstand Lodge (Read 1861 times)
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Re: Probably Rained Out -- Trip to Kickstand Lodge
Reply #75 - 06/15/17 at 17:46:44

OK, it's 8:30 pm and I am sitting in the common area with 15 new friends at the KSL! Got here about 3 this afternoon just before a small shower blew thru. About 8 or 9 other bikes here and the weather ain't really too bad. Went to Ceasers Head, and Mt Mitchell on the way here from Greenville and hit about 3 miles of light rain coming past Ashville, but my pantlegs were dry in 10 miles.
Going to Wheels Thru Time tomorrow, and try the Mexican restaurant in Robbinsville.
A week of clear weather in the mountains of NC in the summer is just too much to ask, best just to set a loose schedule and ride toward the blue skys.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #76 - 06/15/17 at 19:05:29

Badwolf:

Glad you arrived and the weather is somewhat agreeable.  I did see that the forecast last week showed widespread storms - but when I looked at the radar the storms were spread out and it was not raining everywhere.  I guess in a forecast they have to show that the rain is likely to hit everywhere - even though it won't be raining on everything all the time.

I kept watching the weather today and wondering if I could just go home and get a bike and come down to play.......but I just couldn't talk myself into it for a couple of potentially wet days.

It turns out that it was best I stay home - work got really crazy this week and I did need to be here as it turns out.  Next year I will be semi-retire and only working 20 hour weeks, and I will be able to play a lot more!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #77 - 06/16/17 at 09:07:15

So...are we going to start another "Rescheduled KSL Trip" thread and try to set-up another tentative weekend for those of us that can sneak away with a couple of day's notice when it looks like we have a break in the weather?

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #78 - 06/16/17 at 14:37:36

Well,,,,, I don't want to rub it in,,,,,BUT, the sun has been out all day and I haven't seen a drop of rain anywhere today! A GREAT day to ride in the mountains!
Went to the museum today till my feet got tired, too much cool stuff to see there. It's a great place to go if we get caught down here on a wet day.
Mo is cooking tonight, those of you that were here last year know what that means!
The bunkhouse is great, for $2 more than pitching a tent it is a great deal! You don't even need a sleeping bag, she supplys sheets, pillow and case, and a blanket!!!
Even if it rains all day tomorrow I will consider the trip a success!

Hey Stew, I took a picture of my bike in the parking lot from the observation deck on Mt Mitchell, about 600 feet above, would that count as 3 stories for the scavenger hunt?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #79 - 06/17/17 at 03:14:20

Yep....the weather folks got this one wrong....and so did I.  I kept looking at the weather radar the last few days and although I could see some rain here and there - most of the area down there was dry.

I need to check a few things before I can recommend some potential dates for July - but I suggest the 4th of July weekend should not be an option.

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #80 - 06/17/17 at 17:40:17

Well guys, another beautiful day in the mountains. Mo fried chicken tonight, was great! Then she broke out a squirt gun, that turned into a impromptu wet T-shirt contest/ice bucket challenge!
If you have never been here before, you can guess this is NOT your normal stuck-up campground!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #81 - 06/19/17 at 12:22:28

In an attempt to reschedule a KSL "group" ride for sometime in the near future:

I can't go this weekend (June 22nd - 25th), and the following weekend is the beginning of the July 4th "megaweekend", and it is likely not a good weekend to be riding down there unless you like lots of traffic and slow moving motorhomes to negotiate.

I could go the 6th - 9th, or the 20th - 23, or the 27th - 30th.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #82 - 06/19/17 at 12:54:54

Ditto.  I am off at a family event this weekend and suggest avoiding July 4th weekend. Other than those two, I am flexible.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #83 - 06/19/17 at 18:22:51

The weekend of the 6th-9th could be filled with folks who took their vacation after the 4th.  Let's make an attempt to go on the 20th-23rd, and if the weather forecast is bad try again the next weekend on the 27th - 30th.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #84 - 06/20/17 at 22:04:25

I'm with you fellers !  Cool  

unless the wife says otherwise.  

She wants me to tile the front and side porch's this week or next ...  Roll Eyes

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #85 - 06/22/17 at 18:40:45

Bump to the top again.

Let's just say I am now thrice bitten and twice burned right now and I am fairly cautious now about "predicting" weather in that area.

I am refining my risk level at 30-40% chance of occasional showers being my max risk level -- more than that (or perhaps a lot more hours duration at somewhat lower risk) shows that something system-wise is coming in or going out and the entire thing is then seen by me as "dubious".

Weather forecasts more than 3 days out are a mere crapshoot, and the stuff 1-2 weeks out gets redone (and totally changes its tune) just about daily.   Not really worth talking about.

Key takeaway is we just used to EXPECT to get rained on at least 1-2 times.   That was good enough for the pre-cell phone era, but our current attempts to cherry pick the weather have been LESS THAN SUCCESSFUL because what is currently available on the internet really isn't very accurate.

I will put in vacation for the 19th-23nd and see what sort of response I get.

=======================================

Badwolf isn't coming this time so we don't need the bunkhouse.   Dave isn't bringing his big tent because his wife has a broken wrist.  

We are likely going to wind up paying for several little tents, so let's at least consider trying MM's Cheoah Point half price campground near Robbinsville.  

Kickstand wants $20 for the tent and $5 for each additional person in the tent so that is $30 per night per tent full.   MM's magic card cuts that price in half (or less) at Cheoah Point Campground.   It has showers and toilets and is only six miles away from Robbinsville for entertainment and eating.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #86 - 06/23/17 at 02:56:53

My wife's wrist may be OK by then and I may be able to bring the big tent.  Even if it isn't we likely will only need 1 normal size tent for us until Stewmills arrives.  Then it will be 2 tents...the cost difference just isn't worth worrying about to me......4 people in 1 tent is $35.....4 people in 2 tents is $50 - the difference is only $ 3.75 each per day.  You and MM can go check out the alternate camping if you like - but I am going to the KSL and staying there the entire time....I like the place, free WIFI, free towels, nice clean bathrooms, covered bike parking, nice covered shelter with plenty of tables and chairs, etc.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #87 - 06/23/17 at 11:53:16

Kickstand is "moderately mid-price" sort of not very expensive place (but Dave feels the service given is well worth the price).   Kickstand cost for 4 people in 1 tent is $35 a night .....4 people in 2 tents is $50 a night.  

Meatball that at roughly $10 a person per night plus meals and you got all your trip planning all done give or take a bit that is.

$7.50 for a Cheoah night or $35 for a Kickstand night is four times more expensive  (if the Cheoah numbers using MM's card are real, which still has to be seen to be believed).   Power to your camp site can be had for an additional $5 at Cheoah Point which gets you up to only half as expensive compared to Kickstand.

While I am working, these sorts of numbers are sorta meaningless to me too.   When I am retired, the full penny pincher mode has to kick in, big time I am afraid.

On the 19th I could go to Cheoah Point for a night and reality talk to the folks about the $7.50 to $10 campground powered, shower equipped spots using Mike's card.   And I will also cruise the entire place looking at some of the larger FREE primitive spots for 60 foot RVs on the north shore of the lake (well away from roads and car noise).  

For example, could a multi-tent motorcycle group take up just one of these larger free RV spots ??? (the one right next to to the toilet facility for example).    Wink

You don't know until you ask.    We would need the space as we haul bike trailers, etc.

A small generator exists somewhere in our group, and running it for a few hours in the evening can get all those various devices charged back up for those who lack a 12 volt plug socket on their bike.  

We do need to verify we got Cell Tower support up at the lake .....

We don't necessarily need to do this on this particular trip as I can do it on a half way stop on the trip to MM's  Farm in August.

« Last Edit: 06/23/17 at 19:13:08 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Second Trip to Kickstand Lodge
Reply #88 - 06/23/17 at 19:19:33

THESE EVENTS ARE IN PLANNING AND DISCUSSION RIGHT UP TO THE GO DAY -- THE CONCRETE HAS NOT SET COMPLETELY YET UNTIL IT IS OVER.     I am still plugging in names as people show interest, this gives us a tool for seeing who is really going plus the folks who are going can start the refinement process on dates and activities.

So far we got the following items left in the rough order of doing them.  

Kickstand Lodge   July 20-23    Dave,  Oldfeller,  MM,  Stewmills,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZGNOB5m5Ro&t=166s
http://kickstandlodge.com/rates.html
From here it is a short hop up to the Dragon, and to all the really neat surrounding roads we love to ride.    For East Coast beginners, this is one of the closest (and the BEST) Southeastern trip possible.   Some have argued the area is the BEST BIKING IN AMERICA and I might have to agree with them.  

Indian Paintbrush Campground in Ty Denver  Late July  NEED FIRM DATES   Verslagen,  Springman,  old.indian, Thumperclone

MM's farm     Sept 8, 9 & 10    MM,  Dave,  Lancer,  StewMills,  Verslagen1,  Hammer, Springman,  Oldfeller,  JOG

And here is a tool to use in locating some no cost camping when travelling to get to the rides:

https://freecampsites.net

===========================================

HERE IS YOUR LONG TERM WEATHER GUESSTIMATE FOR THE KICKSTAND AREA

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/stecoah-township-nc/28771/month/2095926?mony...

« Last Edit: 06/27/17 at 15:53:36 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Second Trip to Kickstand Lodge
Reply #89 - 06/23/17 at 21:14:20

Magic card is for: pass holder and occupants of a single,private non-commercial vehicle OR one motorcycle OR pass holder and three persons (16 and older) where per person fees are charged.

strait off the back of the card ... The fine print ...  Embarrassed

-------------------------------------------------    

I'm  "Ok"  with any place .    I like the Dragon camp ground too.  

Its only for a few days anyway , so the cost is not enough to fret much about.

I feel safe leaving my camp around any bunch of Bikers !  Smiley   the shanteea lake area is kind of isolated .  

Shanteea lake fees

0517171238b1.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 12:25:34

General CategoryThe Cafe › Second Trip to Kickstand Lodge

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.