Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 
Send Topic Print
Second Trip to Kickstand Lodge (Read 1861 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Second Trip to Kickstand Lodge
Reply #165 - 07/18/17 at 15:59:06

Mo knows Billy Idol

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #166 - 07/18/17 at 18:13:55

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/18/17 at 15:59:06:
Mo knows Billy Idol

In the midnight hour, he cried Mo, Mo, Mo!  Grin Grin Grin

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #167 - 07/18/17 at 20:08:11

Did Oldfeller say they could do him like Dolly Parton?   Cheesy

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #168 - 07/19/17 at 02:49:22

Yes, he said that when he was fully medicated it was possible, except for the reoccuring axe dreams he is prone to  have when he is fully medicated.   He fights large groups of ogres and werewolves a lot when he is doped up good.   Really graphic and messy, those dreams.

Odd thing, he seems to be wearing a wig while swinging the axe -- the Norse influence I guess.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #169 - 07/19/17 at 04:45:25

I am definitely sleeping in my trailer....and it "will" be locked from the inside!  Wink

Somehow I think I got everything packed up late last night/early this morning.  I had a Council meeting last night that lasted until almost 9, and my meeting tonight starts at 6:30 PM.  I have already let the Mayor know that as soon as my report is over.....I am jumping in the car and headed south.  If I can get on the road by 7:30 I should be pulling into Deals Gap around 1 AM.

The weather forecast is A#1, First Class, Love you long time Charlie OK!

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/stecoah-township-nc/28771/month/2095926?mony...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #170 - 07/19/17 at 19:30:26

OK Dave , I'm leaving the tent at home ...

But  ...

If GIMLI show up , I may need to sleep on top of your trailer !  Grin

Gimli_With_Axe.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #171 - 07/20/17 at 06:41:08

That looks like me before I have my coffee!  Don't get in my way in the mornings  Grin

I have my big tent all packed up so we have shelters on the way.  I'll check in later this afternoon as I get on the road from Atlanta and have a reasonable ETA to KSL.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #172 - 07/20/17 at 09:46:14

I arrived at Deals Gap at 12:59 AM.  Oldfeller and I had a festive non-stop nobody in front of us ride on the Cherohala - and we are at Katz waiting for MM.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #173 - 07/20/17 at 09:49:58

Good to hear!  
I'm headed out momentarily for Atlanta to the eye doctor.  Ride safe and don't take up all of the good riding before I get there Cool Cool Cool

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #174 - 07/20/17 at 14:47:07

Done in Atlanta. Headed out for NC. Getting there around 9:30pm-ish.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #175 - 07/22/17 at 19:22:43

Could we be the first ones up at the Dragon this morning?

IMG_20170722_073727.jpg

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #176 - 07/22/17 at 19:24:42

...and the last ones out tonight?

IMG_20170722_211904.jpg

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #177 - 07/23/17 at 04:09:38

As Stew has shown........we have been putting in a lot of miles.  Yesterday we did over 300 miles, and the afternoon was spend dodging rain.  We never did get rained on - but the we did end up on 40 miles of wet roads in north GA as a very big storm had rolled through....there was no way to avoid it.

We found  great loop in GA near Suches that included road called Wolf Pen Gap that is similar to the Dragon - but with tighter curves spaced closer together.  The road was wet so only rode up a mile to check it out, it was a bit scary in the wet as it was a steep road with very tight curves.  We might need to schedule a weekend in the area yet this summer!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #178 - 07/23/17 at 06:44:02

I arrived Weds, rode around some, slept the night in the Bunkhouse, met Dave on Thurs AM for breakfast, then we fast rode the Cherohala with ZERO traffic on it at all in the early weekday AM, met MM for lunch and rode back the other way fast on the Cherohala again for the flip side run.   That was a good day's ride.   MM and Dave then went on up to ride the Dragon up and down some x times and I went to check out Santeetlah lake area much more completely.

Checked out Santeetlah lake area roads thoroughly, and I found one campground called Horse Cove on the far south side of the lake that is only $10 a night that DOES take the America the Beautiful discount card which makes it only $5 a night per site.   Has bathrooms but no bath house (ride around to the other side to take your shower).   Very tall pine tree forest, very neatly laid out campsites on nice flat terraces off of well graded and non-steep gravel roads that covers both sides of the creek.   Because of the remote location, this campground is deserted when the other ones are full up.

Camping, getting up from an air mattresses, setting up tents --- I realize my body isn't liking this idea so much any more.    I give up on the idea, actually.  Mo's bunkhouse is plenty good at $22 a night.

NEW Bike report:

Suzuki Intruder 800cc Barcalounger was a limited success, it did the interstate miles effortlessly without so much body damage inflicted on me as a Savage does, but my still my legs have deteriorated to the point it is painful getting on and off of it because it is a larger taller bike.  

It has a lot more power and it was a success at the Cherohala sweeper type and the less twisty country road types of riding.   Dave didn't try the hundred mile an hour top end stuff on the straight aways for much and MM didn't have enough acceleration out of the turns with his Hurley to keep up so the big black Intruder Barcalounger was tough to beat on the Cherohala.   

Hey, I was a lot fresher at that point in time, too.

Barcalounger was and is will always be a total flop on Dragon style tight twisty turns, it drags the heavy steel center cross member so badly it is in constant danger of low siding (pivoting the rear tire up into the air).   This is not a bike to take on the Dragon.

Body report:

My progressive leg decline has gotten to the point I can't ride at the normal group pace for much more than a day on country roads before my leg and hip and back pain exceeds what the normal drugs can handle.   Before I get to that point I think I tend to become somewhat poor company because of grumpiness due to the pain.    

I am reminding me more and more of Big Zuk .....  and I understand why he quit riding with us.

In this case, midway through my 3rd day in the mountains I hit the wall and abandoned the group to ride back slowly to Kickstand by myself for some pain free time spent sleeping drugged out with major drugs in the Bunkhouse.   I got up (relatively pain free) and showered and by then found that the guys had arrived back at the campsite, so I spent some time yakking with them at the eating area listening to them recount the good ride that they had after I abandoned them.   I got up the next morning and left for home as the other 3 left to go galavanting all over the place again.    

It took me all day to get home with having to stop all the time to get off the bike and walk around some ..... and I was hurting pretty bad by the time I got there.

Most of the folks who are regulars at Mo's Kickstand are way past riding fast and they count themselves lucky to be able to ride down there and back to where they live -- and this is with with them taking DAYS to make the trip one way, never riding more than about 5-6 hours per day.   About half of the riders are on HUGE super stable bikes and trikes because they simply can't ride anything else.   About half are married couples, so that was refreshing to see.

So I saw my Kickstand Lodge predicted future, and it isn't very pretty.

« Last Edit: 07/23/17 at 14:49:36 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #179 - 07/23/17 at 17:15:41

Got home about 5pm central by way of North Al.  , tried to go around the rain but that might have been "Going from NC to TN by way of FL. !  Grin

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 08:38:35

General CategoryThe Cafe › Second Trip to Kickstand Lodge

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.