Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 14
Send Topic Print
Second Trip to Kickstand Lodge (Read 1861 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: ROLL CALL -- Trip to Kickstand Lodge
Reply #15 - 06/01/17 at 13:24:22

We need to stop here for a burger if we go through Cherokee at lunch time:
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.4881289,-83.3151463,3a,54.6y,37.68h,86.94t/da...

It's abandoned in this pic, but it is now a little burger joint that we stopped at when I was there a few weeks ago. Good roadside burgers and a good place for a break and fuel stop.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #16 - 06/01/17 at 18:37:25

Losing our geese is always a bad thing, and it has happened on every trip to some degree.   Here is a proposed geese herding aid that will allow you to know where your geese are (if you are inside tower service that is).  

It is a phone app called Life360      https://www.life360.com/    the premise is that one person downloads it, cranks up a group and invites the other riders to join in the group.   Once a group code is assigned, all the players download the app and plug in the code to join -- wammo, they all show up in the app map located spatially relative to each other.  

Everybody gets the location display that includes the whole group.  Everybody can see, including the lost goose.   This would be the cat's meow if somebody had a breakdown or, heaven forbid, somebody actually went off into the bushes in a non-obvious fashion.    Or parked on the wrong side of the knife store and got everything turned around accordingly.

It can do group messaging and similar teenager techi stuff, but the fact is that it will always have a named dot for each of your ride participants and as ride leader you can herd your group of errant geese a lot easier by using it when you come up short a head -- you can see where they are easy peasy.

Then when the trip is done, everybody deletes the app.   Neat and clean, that.

Funny thing, we lose more people at pit stops and in the towns than we do out in the boonies.   More traffic lights and turns available, I guess.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #17 - 06/02/17 at 07:07:51

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 06/01/17 at 18:37:25:
It is a phone app called Life360      https://www.life360.com/

Won't work for me. I'm using a Blackberry and this app, along with most others, isn't available.

I have a separate app that lets anyone text me a secret 'code word' and it responds to them with my GPS location and a map of where I am. I got it so my wife can ping me when I am out riding locally so she knows where I am, or if I am alone and hurt she can at least tell someone where to try and find me.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #18 - 06/02/17 at 08:42:42

I just looked at my calendar .

I've got to cut hay next week so I can go ridding the next week !  Shocked

kind of snuck up on me ...  Embarrassed

Lancer , if your reading ,    I've got to cut hay Monday (if no rain) and maybe  Tuesday (a little)

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #19 - 06/02/17 at 09:07:29

I will leave S.Fl Wed morning and ride to Greenville, S.C. Thurs I will go to Ceasers Head, and Mt. Mitchell and get to KSL late afternoon or early evening. See ya' all there!

http://www.southcarolinaparks.com/caesarshead/introduction.aspx

https://www.ncparks.gov/mount-mitchell-state-park

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #20 - 06/02/17 at 12:38:52

If its hot in the area , then a trip to Mitchell might feel GOOD !  Wink

Long as the weather stays sunny from 5th to the 9th, I should be able to leave the 12th.  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #21 - 06/02/17 at 17:24:29

OK MM, according to this last post we are both leaving on Monday the 12th in the morning for a ~ 6-7 ~ hour ride (with stops taken into account).    You are going to lose an hour rolling out of Tennessee, but you got that all covered in your thinking as you like to get started early anyway.

I propose meeting at Robbinsville, at the HUB for a late lunch.   It is a concrete known meet up place that has cell phone coverage so we can call each other as needed.

Now, if I am not getting this right, please do tell me.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #22 - 06/02/17 at 19:09:50

MMRanch wrote on 06/02/17 at 08:42:42:
I just looked at my calendar .

I've got to cut hay next week so I can go ridding the next week !  Shocked

kind of snuck up on me ...  Embarrassed

Lancer , if your reading ,    I've got to cut hay Monday (if no rain) and maybe  Tuesday (a little)

Smiley    

« Last Edit: 06/03/17 at 03:46:26 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #23 - 06/02/17 at 22:28:27

The Plan

Get everything done the week of the 5th - 10th so I can leave Monday the 12th.  Smiley

Yes .  Cool

The weather forecast has less % for rain now so I might cut Saturday the 3rd and Monday the 5th , then tet , rake , bale all week !

justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #24 - 06/03/17 at 07:18:28

Or, you Could get a gallon o gas and a match,,,, and just Look at the work you could dodge...

Hominy acres? You doing round bales?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #25 - 06/03/17 at 09:38:40

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/03/17 at 07:18:28:
Or, you Could get a gallon o gas and a match,,,, and just Look at the work you could dodge...

Hominy acres? You doing round bales?

The gas and match option will probably need a follow on barbecue option.
I'll bring my knife and fork to assist.
Hold the hominy.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #26 - 06/05/17 at 06:03:09

Well the weather forecast has added the words "Thunderstorm Possible" into the daily forecast - unfortunately that is always a possibility in the area just about every day in June.  The heat and humidity always makes for the potential for afternoon rain events - so far the forecast is still as cheery as June can allow.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/stecoah-township-nc/28771/month/2095926?mony...

I went on a 100 mile ride yesterday to check out the Savage and make sure it is ready....and changed the oil when I got home.  It seems up to the trip, and I plan on doing some riding over the next week so I can get my buns ready for all day rides!

I also ordered a new front tire of the Ninja just in case the weather forecast turns bad and I bring it for wet weather riding.  For some reason I wore the edges of the Bridgestone BT45 tire out on the little Ninja far faster than the back tire (weird).....I ordered a Pirelli Sport Demon and I will see how it wears (there aren't many tires tire choices for the small Ninja).  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #27 - 06/05/17 at 18:40:41

I can't bring the big tent - my wife has a broken wrist and she won't be able to help me set it up and get it dry and clean when I return home.  (Our little puppy Lily is no longer little - and the 70 pound dog ran into Deb on the concrete porch and knocked her down - she broke her wrist when she landed).

I will bring the smaller tent as I can set it up and tear it down alone, and it will sleep 2 comfortably.  If MM brings his 2 man tent we got it covered.....and I can bring a backpack tent that sleeps 2 (if they snuggle) - but it is really only good for 1 and I can sleep in the trailer.  For 2 tents and 4 people it is $50 a night, which is #12.50 each....the big tent would only be $35 a night or $8.50 a night - the difference is only $4 each.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #28 - 06/05/17 at 21:43:05

Sounds like a plan, Dave.   I think we are swinging more and more towards flexibility as we get further along.   I will pack my 2 man tent also, just in case of ......

.......  any sweet little surprises that come popping up.

Dave, I am sorry your Lilly puppy caused your wife to take a spill on the concrete.   I can certainly sympathize as it was my 50+ pounder puppy jumping up on the bed and landing on my knee instead that got my right knee messed up as it is currently (it is healing slowly).   They don't mean to do it, and as we get older having big pets might make for an issue for us occasionally.

MM, how is that hay bailing going?   Be careful my friend .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #29 - 06/05/17 at 22:45:56

Thanks for the well wishes guys.   yes Round Bales is the only way I can do it.   Those little square bales days are long gone.   So , I cut about 10 acres Saturday , so it would rain for the next two days ...  Roll Eyes

Will cut the other 30 acres tomorrow , Tet all of it Wednesday and roll it Friday , and should be headed east to NC   Monday !  Grin

YeeeHaa !!!  Smiley

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 14
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 08:33:27

General CategoryThe Cafe › Second Trip to Kickstand Lodge

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.