Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14
Send Topic Print
Second Trip to Kickstand Lodge (Read 1861 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Second Trip to Kickstand Lodge
Reply #105 - 07/06/17 at 03:33:17

That's a beautiful place..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #106 - 07/06/17 at 11:14:07

We've had a number of very good gatherings at Blue Ridge Motorcycle campground, using Cabin #4 and an exception granted to our group that once we rented the cabin we could stack people inside it like cordwood if we wanted to -- ditto for the tents.

This loop hole has ended now and you are now charged a per head charge now (a per head charge which in the last year has shown up all over the place fairly uniformly).

The only place that is cheap any more is Santeetlah Lake but due to erratic weather over that lake area we are having a rough time scheduling anything (two major failures now due to weather).   Kickstand is preferred over Santeetlah for having a bunkhouse (instant overflow) and a meal that is served at night.   Blue Ridge is noted as more expensive than Kickstand as we have to pay full freight there now.

Kickstand and Blue Ridge are sorta similar, with the luxury edge going to Blue Ridge for the always open lounge area and free coffee in the mornings.

Dragon Lodge can go burn in Hell forever for twice having ripped off both Lancer and myself upon group exiting for $50-$60, using cute little "make a buck rules" that you "violated" when you were leaving.   Dragon Lodge isn't any sort of preferred location now unless you are after the endless circus of Crotch Rocket noise and Hurley mess.

We have rotated more towards the tent as our "easiest to plan for, cheapest to use" idea.   We find our best trips in the last 5 years have been to somebody's farm, where we tent and chatter and do stuff.

« Last Edit: 07/07/17 at 13:09:25 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #107 - 07/06/17 at 11:45:06

Example of "Cursed planning" or the weather flipping around somewhat drastically inside three weeks can be seen here.    

THE NEXT 2 WEEKENDS are near perfect, with the the 3rd (the trip weekend) picking up a little rain (nothing fatal yet, but it illustrates our point that increasing our flexibility is a good thing).

What we are really having issues with is 3-4 week requirement to schedule VACATION DAYS vs "a growing need to be spontaneous".

Next year Dave goes to semi-retired and I will be the only one stuck to a vacation schedule.  Knowing this, I will strive to lay out multiple weekends to the "group plan" intentionally seeking to be as flexible as possible.

Wink

Screenshot_at_2017-07-06_14-35-11_001.jpeg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #108 - 07/06/17 at 16:55:14

Our weather changed after the little hurricane. It's dropping a few, no wipers needed, showers.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #109 - 07/09/17 at 11:04:03

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/stecoah-township-nc/28771/month/2095926?mony...

One week out weather looks good (knock on wood).

What time are we shooting at for group arrival on Thursday the 20th?

Screenshot_at_2017-07-09_14-09-11.jpeg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #110 - 07/09/17 at 14:07:38

I have a City Council meeting on that Wednesday night - so as usual I will leave after the meeting, and likely arrive at Deals Gap around 2 AM Thursday morning.  I will sleep in the trailer, and be ready to go riding around 8 AM on Thursday.

I can ride out to meet MM at Tellico Plains if he is riding that way and leaving Thursday morning.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #111 - 07/09/17 at 21:16:50

Is anybody else coming?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #112 - 07/09/17 at 21:17:52

I'll try to set things up to leave Thursday morning .   Right now my brain don't have things planed that far out .   So much depends on the weather during  hay/bush-hogging season .

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #113 - 07/09/17 at 21:44:39

MM, did you guys buy a set of reloading dies for the 7.5x55 K31 Swiss ???    This is the cheapest I have seen in a long time for that particular gun --- ever since before the Obama gun madness started.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lee-Precision-Pacesetter-3-Die-Set-7-5mm-Schmidt-Rubi...

and here is another, a Better Set, even cheaper !!!

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/lee-reloading-dies-7-5x55-3-die-set-/112468896938?hash...

Tentatively, I will meet Dave at the Dragon 8:00 AM Thursday morning, July 20 and we will swing out to meet you where-ever, when-ever according to the plan of the day.

« Last Edit: 07/09/17 at 23:35:04 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #114 - 07/10/17 at 03:51:27

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 07/09/17 at 21:16:50:
Is anybody else coming?

The roll call as I know it is Dave, Oldfeller, MMRanch - and Stewmills is going to be arriving about midnight on Thursday.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #115 - 07/10/17 at 07:06:32

I'm still in for arriving late on Thursday the 20th.

Dave, are you setting up your Taj-Ma-tent at KSL like last time? Not obligating you, but if you are and I just need to bring a cot that's excellent and will minimize what I need to pack (tent stuff).

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #116 - 07/10/17 at 07:14:13

I will plan on bringing the big tent........I believe my wife's wrist is healing well enough that she can help me set up the big tent again when I get home.  (As nice as it is to have it and use it....it does requires an hour to two of work when I get home to set it up, clean it and dry it out).

Although I will be arriving early on Thursday - I haven't yet figured out a way to set it up alone and I will have to wait for some help to arrive.  Maybe I will put the ground cloth down to claim our space ......and see if there is anyone moving around at KSL that can help me for a few minutes.     

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #117 - 07/10/17 at 07:54:56

Dave,
I hear ya.  I have a large 4+ man tent that is doable for one person, but 2 makes a huge difference.  

If you have a smaller tent that is more convenient don't being the big tent just on my account, though I presume you are accommodating MM too?  I'm just sayin' that I can bring a small 2-3 person tent that I can throw up real quick when I get there late Thursday.  You know me by now...I'm content with anything. You do what is easiest for Dave and I will fit into the picture accordingly.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #118 - 07/10/17 at 08:04:44

There are just 4 of us coming that we know of.

I have a smaller tent that works well for 2 people and gear (although on one group outing 3 guys jammed themselves into it), and it sets up really quickly.  MM has a similar sized tent...if he is bringing his then we have everybody taken care of.....we will see what MM has to say once he gets done cutting hay!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #119 - 07/10/17 at 09:16:54

10-4.  Either way I will bring little my pop-up canopy that we can use for a "bike garage".

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 12:30:38

General CategoryThe Cafe › Second Trip to Kickstand Lodge

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.