Send Topic Print
Grooved brake shoes (Read 336 times)
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Grooved brake shoes
05/22/17 at 14:55:01

I might be on to something here but wanted to know if anyone had tried these.  Our bike takes EBC 606 shoes for the rear and EBC makes a 606g they call "water grooved".  They appear to have a much better chamfer on the leading edge plus the angled grooves which are good for dust removal and noise reduction per several users here on this forum.

Both show they are 160 X 30 mm in one pic but the product dimensions are a little different in another description; 6.7X6X1.4 inches for the 606's and 6.8X6X1.5 for the 606G's.  I have a message out to the EBC USA folks and will follow-up if they respond.

606g_pic.JPG

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Re: Grooved brake shoes
Reply #1 - 05/22/17 at 15:13:52

you gonna put them on the rear?

It ain't gonna matter much.  But I'd like to know how it turns out.

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 05/22/17 at 15:15:38

What problem are you fixing?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - 05/22/17 at 15:22:04

Rear brakes have a lot of squeal which is actually worse if I blow it out with compressed air.  Last time I had the rear wheel off I did some sanding to remove glaze but it didn't really help.  Also have locked up the rear wheel a few times and I've read the grooves help with that, too.

I need to shim my rear pulley and wanted to hold off until I have new brake shoes in hand because I don't know if they are the stock shoes or if a PO replaced with EBC's (didn't note that when I had the wheel off).  If I knew they were already EBC I would just chamfer and groove them myself when I took the wheel off for the pulley shim.  But if they are stock shoes, I want to replace with EBC as long as the rear wheel is off.

Wast of time?  Go ahead and groove and chamfer the shoes no matter if they are stock or EBC?  Bike has about 16k miles so probably plenty of pad left I reckon.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 05/22/17 at 15:23:33

It's been done to the stock shoes with a 4" grinder by someone here .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #5 - 05/22/17 at 15:26:59

batman wrote on 05/22/17 at 15:23:33:
It's been done to the stock shoes with a 4" grinder by someone here .

Yeah, that was my plan but wanted new shoes in hand when I pulled the rear wheel in case what's in there is cooked.  I hate takin' that sucker off!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 05/22/17 at 15:37:42

I don't think anyone has Ever NEEDED to replace them.

The 02 is stock, brake works much better than the 05 did. I made huge progress with a grinder. I should have removed more surface area. The squeal was gone after chamfering, and I could feel the pressure of the pedal feedback and the tire wasn't sliding. But it was a bit sensitive, I had grooved and chamfered at least 1/4 of the surface area away. More grooves would have been better.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #7 - 05/22/17 at 16:29:34

The slots in the shoes above will move water and dust to the rear of the drum ,not toward the outside plate where the drain slot is located at the bottom.Bad design or wrong shoes for our bike.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 05/22/17 at 17:19:14

I disagree, Bat.
Flip them over.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 05/22/17 at 19:56:30

JOG, look again,you can flip them all day it's still wrong.flipping them doesn't change the orientation of the slots.think about how they fit in the brake plate, like in the pic above ,if the top shoe was laying flat like the other. the drum covering them would be turning ccw. flipping them over would change nothing, they are the same ,the only way the slots would work is if your sixth gear was reverse.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 05/22/17 at 20:00:43

Grooves across the face, envision a bolt.
Flip the bolt. Run the nut up, down, flip, run it up, down.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 05/23/17 at 03:14:22

I don't know if that is a "generic" photo of the brakes shoes - but the rounded end won't fit the Savage.  The end should have a concave end that fits over the post on the brake backing plate.

The way I interpret the grooves.....they are both cut the same direction, and this will result in the top one pushing the water/dust inward - while the bottom one will push the water/dust outward.

To get them both to push the dirt outward....the grooves needed to be cut in opposite directions, and you would have to mount the shoe on the proper side to make it push outward.

Most often the squeal comes from shoes that have been subject to a very rusty drum - and the rust was removed by riding the bike and using the rear brake, and wearing the rust off.  This embeds the rust into the brake shoe lining and contaminates the material.  If a bit of sanding won't eliminate the squeal - then it is time for new shoes!

« Last Edit: 05/23/17 at 06:13:25 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #12 - 05/23/17 at 06:05:05

Ah yeah.  Good catch Dave.
Could be a generic pic; found another that looks more like ours.  The grooved shoes seem to be for ATV's but hey, the Raptor fits our bike.
And thanks for kicking this idea around everyone.

EBC-Grooved-Rear-Brake-Shoe-2002-2007-Suzuki-LT-A400.jpg

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #13 - 05/23/17 at 12:49:23

From EBC:  Both these versions are actually made from the same tool in the factory, rest assure, they are the same size

Regarding the direction of the grooves, isn't it still better to have shoes with the grooves already cut rather than flat surfaces?  As long as the brake dust is getting pushed off to one side it should still be an improvement I would think.

And I won't keep wasting everyone's time with this but I still think the grooves would push the dust outward and away from the drum once installed in the hub.

EBC_606G_orientation.jpg

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 05/23/17 at 14:12:29

Dave wrote on 05/23/17 at 03:14:22:
I don't know if that is a "generic" photo of the brakes shoes - but the rounded end won't fit the Savage.  The end should have a concave end that fits over the post on the brake backing plate.

The way I interpret the grooves.....they are both cut the same direction, and this will result in the top one pushing the water/dust inward - while the bottom one will push the water/dust outward.

To get them both to push the dirt outward....the grooves needed to be cut in opposite directions, and you would have to mount the shoe on the proper side to make it push outward.

Most often the squeal comes from shoes that have been subject to a very rusty drum - and the rust was removed by riding the bike and using the rear brake, and wearing the rust off.  This embeds the rust into the brake shoe lining and contaminates the material.  If a bit of sanding won't eliminate the squeal - then it is time for new shoes!

Okay, so, water is wiped in on top
Out on bottom
Wherever the thing drains best. In or out, top ,bottom, your choice.
Either way wiping is happening.

en the squeal comes from shoes that have been subject to a very rusty drum - and the rust was removed by riding the bike and using the rear brake, and wearing the rust off.  This embeds the rust into the brake shoe lining and contaminates the material.  If a bit of sanding won't eliminate the squeal - then it is time for new s

I never thought about that. I can see how that could happen. The 05, along with the
Instalock rear brake, it squealed. The radical shoe shaping tamed it. I don't remember what the drum looked like, but if it was strange I would probably remember. Maybe,,

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 13:27:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Grooved brake shoes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.