Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Grooved brake shoes (Read 336 times)
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Re: Grooved brake shoes
Reply #15 - 05/24/17 at 06:13:20

You guys must use your rear brake waaaay more than me. Pretty much the only time I touch mine is if I'm at a stop light and I want to keep the brake light on while I take my right hand off of the controls.

Emergency stopping is the only time I use the rear brake to actually slow the bike. In most cases if you're really hard on the front brake the rear isn't doing too much anyway.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 05/24/17 at 06:53:49

BSTN:

The use of brakes is a personal thing - and is something that progresses through a few stages as your riding ability changes.

1)  Beginning riders use the rear brake almost exclusively, as it seldom creates any control issues at low speeds - and when used improperly the front brake can be scary!  As their ability improves the use of the front brake hopefully becomes less scary, and they can start to realize the improved stopping power the front brake can provide.  Still, a large number of falls occur when beginners use too much brake when the tire encounters some other slippery areas.  I have also come to the conclusion after watching a lot of scooter crashes on YouTube - that a large number of riders don't realize the application of the front brake needs to be progressive, and that the initial squeeze needs to be light, and that more brake can be added as the weight transfers forward onto the tire - you just can't instantly "grab a handful" of front brake.

2)  Intermediate riders understand how to apply the front and rear brake in unison - and the reward is better control and a shorter stopping distance.

3)  Advanced riders come to understand that the front brake can provide nearly 100% of the stopping power that is needed.  During very heavy braking there can be very little weight on the rear tire, and even a small amount of brake pedal during hard braking can result in locking up the rear wheel (which then leads to a problem with directional control when the rear of the bike tries to pass the front of the bike).  This level may never be reached (or required) by the majority of riders, as they will never put themselves in a situation that requires very aggressive braking on purpose.  I have avoided mentioning this "no rear brake" riding style on this forum, as I believe it is very much like a discussion on "counter steering" - you either understand it...or you don't.    

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #17 - 05/24/17 at 07:10:57

The shoes are twins! the groves on both are cut in the wrong direction !both will direct water, dust ,rust toward the back of the drum.,when it should be sent to the front where the drain slot is located.moving the shoes doesn't change the relationship of the groves to the rotation of the drum.If the top shoe sends crud to the rear ,so will the bottom!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 05/24/17 at 07:40:44

batman wrote on 05/24/17 at 07:10:57:
The shoes are twins! the groves on both are cut in the wrong direction !both will direct water, dust ,rust toward the back of the drum.,when it should be sent to the front where the drain slot is located.moving the shoes doesn't change the relationship of the groves to the rotation of the drum.If the top shoe sends crud to the rear ,so will the bottom!

Batman, when you flip the brake shoe over to the bottom....the grooves don't change direction - but the direction the brake drum moves across the grooves changes direction (the top is leading and the bottom is trailing).  The end result is the dirt is pushed the other way.....the photo shows the grooves are canted towards the inside with the direction the grooves are cut on the top - but when moved to the bottom the direction of the brake drum will push the dirt to the outside.

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #19 - 05/24/17 at 10:39:04

BSTON wrote on 05/24/17 at 06:13:20:
You guys must use your rear brake waaaay more than me. Pretty much the only time I touch mine is if I'm at a stop light and I want to keep the brake light on while I take my right hand off of the controls.

Emergency stopping is the only time I use the rear brake to actually slow the bike. In most cases if you're really hard on the front brake the rear isn't doing too much anyway.  

BSTN, many riders use the rear brake.  I use my brakes together when stopping (most of the time) and I use the rear to bleed off speed entering a curve at speed if I'm already downshifted to the gear I want.  You can also use a little rear brake in a curve if necessary.  Front braking in a curve is not a good idea.  When I go on mountain rides I tend to use a lot of front brake but if I'm "havin' a bit o' fun" I'll use more rear brake going into corners.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 05/24/17 at 11:25:24

I am stuck in the awkward stage between intermediate and advanced.  I do need to replace the rear pads on the disc brake bikes occasionally - but I likely will never wear out the shoes on the Savage.

Most of the time I do use a bit of rear brake - and when the rear wheel locks up I get reminded why you need to be really careful with the rear brake on hard stops...........as you increase the pressure on the front brake you need to be releasing the pressure on the rear simultaneously.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #21 - 05/24/17 at 12:36:50

Dave ,I really don't know what you are thinking! the rotation of the drum for the top shoe is from the end that is squared off to the end that has the rounded relief for the stud, But !!!! the rotation for the bottom is opposite! which still means crud is swept to the rear of the drum.I can't make it any clearer!picture what the bottom shoe looks like from underneath, and which way the drum is turning ,( opposite the way it passes across the top shoe)and you'll see that the slots still send crud to the rear of the drum!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #22 - 05/24/17 at 13:36:34

Batman - Yep...your right. I had to draw diagonal lines on a business card and then flip it over to see what was going on.  The direction of travel does reverse when you flip the brake shoe over - but so does the angle of the grooves.

Tocsik - I looked at the part number you provided, and the quad that these shoes grooved shoes are made for has a drum on the right wheel - but the backing plate is on the left side.....so the grooves are cut in the direction that will push the mud to the left side - which is on the opposite way you want the dirt/dust/water shoved on the Savage brake.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #23 - 05/24/17 at 13:55:09

Grab a bolt
Put a nut on it
Rotate the nut
Watch which way the nut moves
Flip the bolt
Spin the nut

Unless you screwed up, now that nut goes the other way.

I was right the first time.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #24 - 05/24/17 at 16:22:12

Jog ,your a hardcase! but your WRONG! Reread my last post and Dave's answer.the groves in the shoes pictured are bassackward for use on our bikes.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #25 - 05/24/17 at 17:46:06

Jog:

Go ahead and use your bolt threads if you want to....and use it to consider the brake shoe issue. No matter how you rotate or turn the bolt, the threads always look the same, and the nut will always move the same direction when you turn the nut on the bolt threads.

Hold the bolt so the hex head is nearest your body.....and the length is away from you.  Take your finger and move it away from you.....and notice the angle of the threads would push your finger to the right side....that is similar to the top of the brake drum moving forward as the bike travels.  Now take your finger and slide it to the bottom of the bolt and pull your finger toward you.....you will see that your finger would still want to go to the right side (same rotation change as the bottom of the brake drum mowing the opposite direction the top is)....the same change occurred when you moved your finger away/toward on the bolt. (The brake shoe threads are actually left hand in appearance - so the bolt example will push the finger in the opposite direction of the brake shoes pictured).

It took me a while to understand - but I get it now.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #26 - 05/24/17 at 17:57:39

Tocsik wrote on 05/24/17 at 10:39:04:
Front braking in a curve is not a good idea.  When I go on mountain rides I tend to use a lot of front brake but if I'm "havin' a bit o' fun" I'll use more rear brake going into corners

I didn't want to post in this thread, but this statement compels me to post only because a new rider may see it and actually believe it.

This is 100% wrong and goes against anything you would learn at a basic riding class like MSF or an advanced school like California Superbike.

Just because you don't like using the correct brake or use it properly, please don't make statements such as using the front brake in a turn is dangerous.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #27 - 05/24/17 at 18:20:48

Bolt
Nut
Head of bolt near body
Down on right side of nut
Flip bolt
Down on right side of nut
One way nut comes
Other way it goes

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #28 - 05/24/17 at 18:21:02

Quote:
please don't make statements such as using the front brake in a turn is dangerous.

Like a lot of things involved with riding motorcycles, using the front brake in a turn can be dangerous if you do it wrong. Which is why it's important to understand how, and why, to do it right.

https://www.n2td.org/trail-braking/

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #29 - 05/24/17 at 18:41:31

Good article. I agree with, and use the techniques described in that post.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 15:33:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Grooved brake shoes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!