Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Electrical Problem - The whole system cut off (Read 264 times)
alisonsup

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Electrical Problem - The whole system cut off
05/22/17 at 12:43:44

So I recently bought a raptor petcock to replace my failing stock petcock. When I attempted to start the bike to see how it would run i heard a click sound then everything shut off like no battery power was getting through the system to start the bike. I heard that click and power off the moment I pressed the starter button. All the lights went out, including the neutral light, and everything I have hooked up to battery wouldn't turn on. So I took my keys out and put them back in to try to start it again. Same thing happened. I figured the battery might be dead so I plugged it in for the day and tried again 2 days later. This time I pulled out the choke and it actually started and ran for about 30 seconds. After the 30secs the whole system cut off again. I tried to start it again and there was just no life at all in the bike. Is there something wrong with my starter? Do I have a short or a blown fuse?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Electrical Problem - The whole system cut off
Reply #1 - 05/22/17 at 13:00:33

You swapped out the petcock.
Suddenly the bike just isn't right.
Did you remove the tank?
Have you messed with electrical connections? If you have, gotta go check them out.
If you haven't,
You're gonna be ahead to be certain that All the connections are good,the battery is good, and just because it's been charged for two days doesn't mean it's good. It Started, but died..
Need details.
It ran. How many miles on it?Your miles?
Details about what you have done.

Everybody,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
alisonsup

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/22/17 at 16:08:14

It did this a few times before I replaced the petcock but it always started after I took the key out and put it back in. The battery is new. It's got about 250 miles on it. I just replaced it recently. I did not take the tank off. I pulled the petcock without taking it off. The only time I looked at the electricals is when my bike was vandalized back in November but I made sure everything was reconnected correctly. I used the manual to make sure of that. I know I didnt plug anything in wrong or not in all the way. I was thorough. Plus I have checked​ the wires since then and they're still in correctly.

IP Logged
alisonsup

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/22/17 at 16:12:06

It just started doing this this month. This hasn't been happening for a while.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #4 - 05/22/17 at 16:25:00

Quote:
 always started after I took the key out and put it back in.

Since this has happened before, the fact that the problem reoccurred just after swapping petcocks is  most likely just coincidence.  Based on what you've said I think the most logical suspect is the ignition switch itself.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 05/22/17 at 17:52:14

Check the battery connections, make sure their tight.  Check the ground strap and see that it is tight down at the engine case, near the oil window.  Turn the key ON....then start wiggling wires and see which one makes something happen.  I would look at the electrical connector under the left side of the tank - just above the cylinder head.  That one takes all the power up to the controls on the handlebars.  If the tail light doesn't come on if you switch to the "park" position (opposite the OFF position.....then it is either the switch, or the battery connections....or a fuse.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 05/24/17 at 17:08:02

You may have a bad connection at the starter coil,or it could be stuck.or it could be the starter button itself.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 05/24/17 at 19:32:51

The easiest way to start troubleshooting is inspect, clean, tighten the nut electrical connections.
Look at the stuff you can get at without pulling the tank.
No joy?
Tank time.
Have a place to set it down before you pull it
The speedometer cable requires that you set the tank on something up a foot or so.
Don't lose the oring.

You should get a multimeter.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
alisonsup

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 06/01/17 at 11:37:47

I took a look at the wiring and all the connectors but nothing has changed. The bike is still not starting. I took a video of me trying to start my bike: https://youtu.be/rcu85uQtV_E

This time the power didn't cut off like before but it still wouldn't start.

IP Logged
alisonsup

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/01/17 at 11:53:55

You can't tell but as I was trying to start the bike in the video the lights were flickering including the neutral light.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #10 - 06/01/17 at 11:58:16

Your battery doesn't have enough current to start the bike. Charge the battery and it should be good to go.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
SoC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #11 - 06/01/17 at 12:26:50

I'd be inclined to agree with Gary, but add, just because battery is relatively new doesn't mean it is good. If you have access to a battery load tester I would definitely have it checked. You do have to completely charge it first though. Extreme low voltage can make things behave in unusual ways. Bad lead acid batteries can have an acceptable voltage at rest, but as soon as a load is placed on it, drop through the floor. That's basically why you load test them.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #12 - 06/01/17 at 12:30:18

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 06/01/17 at 11:58:16:
Your battery doesn't have enough current to start the bike. Charge the battery and it should be good to go.

+1.  Sounds just like not enough juice in the battery to both turn the starter and ignite the spark plug.

If you need a new battery, go with AGM.  This is one that several of us have purchased with good results. http://www.batterymart.com/p-Big-Crank-ETX15L-Battery.html. The posts are slightly different than stock so you will need to bend the terminals a little to fit these style posts. Easy with a small pair of pliers.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 06/01/17 at 14:29:24

Batteries have warranties because even New ones crap out.
Leaving one parked, that's a start toward the junk heap.

IP Logged
alisonsup

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 06/02/17 at 11:44:55

Thanks for the replies. I charged it last night and it's started right up this morning. Ill probably be replacing​ it soon. Thanks​ again.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/23/24 at 02:03:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Electrical Problem - The whole system cut off

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.