Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Uneven wear on front tire (Read 103 times)
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Uneven wear on front tire
05/21/17 at 01:33:51

I did a maintenance check on the bike today and noticed the tread on the front tire is wearing substantially more on the right side (from rider's perspective) than the left side.

I haven't checked the tire pressure in a while so I'll do that at work tomorrow. My riding is generally commuting to work, and long highway runs, with occasional rides through the twisties.

The PO told me the bike had been dropped on it's left side once, while stationary. The handlebars (tall risers) had a slight twist and the left foot peg was bent. Switching to low risers, and new handlebars, sorted out the steering, and a hammer fixed the peg.

I'd like to sort it out myself if possible but I'm not sure where to start with diagnosing it, and workflow. Does the wheel balance need checked? Are the forks a bit twisted?

BTW, we ride on the left side of the road in this part of the world.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated  Smiley

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Uneven wear on front tire
Reply #1 - 05/21/17 at 05:31:09

If you ride on the left, and the road crowns to the left, then you should see more wear on the right side of the tire.  That's if you ride in a straight line all day long!  I think the PO failed to mention that he dropped the bike AFTER he ran into the side of his barn.    Smiley

Take a really good look at the front wheel alignment.  If it looks cocked, loosen the lower  triple clamp pinch bolts to free up the fork tubes.  Then twist the bars back and forth a few times while holding the wheel against something solid.  Then center the wheel on the triple clamps and tighten the clamps.  If the wheel won't center, then look for bent fork tube.  

If the wheel centers and the bars are off then do a similar routine on the bars.  You may have to rotate or replace the rubber clamp mounts.

You should probably inspect the rear wheel alignment while you're at it.  Make sure it's adjusted evenly on both sides.  The lines on the swingarm are close enough.  If you are a full line or more off, you could be dog walking down the road.  

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #2 - 05/21/17 at 12:19:02

ohiomoto wrote on 05/21/17 at 05:31:09:
...I think the PO failed to mention that he dropped the bike AFTER he ran into the side of his barn.    Smiley

I had wondered about his definition of "dropped it while stationary."

I've previously checked the back wheel while adjusting the belt tension, so all good there.

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a go  Smiley

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #3 - 05/23/17 at 02:33:54

My front tyres wear that way, I don't worry about it.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 05/23/17 at 03:25:04

Where you ride can also affect tire wear.  The Public Works departments where I work wear the outside edge of the right front tire must faster than the other tires - as the tires does a lot of scrubbing when they turn around in the cul de sac streets.

The same thing can happen if you have a lot of interstate ramps that curve in one direction.  I understand that the sport bike guys that live in flat areas have to go to the interstate cloverleaf if they want to find any curves nearby, and they only learn how to make right turns and wear out their tires on that side.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 05/23/17 at 06:21:34

I understand that the sport bike guys that live in flat areas have to go to the interstate cloverleaf if they want to find any curves nearby, and they only learn how to make right

Living in Odessa Texas, hunting curves was what riders did. Even a easy going rider gets bored.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 05/23/17 at 08:00:30

flatlanders!  Roll Eyes

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 05/23/17 at 08:37:50

I moved... and the back country roads I've found are a fun ride. I don't pass a store/gas station, nothing, for about 35 miles. Ohh, coupla restaurants out there..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 05:25:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Uneven wear on front tire

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.