Send Topic Print
Keep it in Balance (Read 141 times)
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Keep it in Balance
05/20/17 at 17:52:20

I've complained about my bike being an "ass hammer" a few times. The bike shakes so violently that it regularly sheds parts. Last week I was out riding and someone pointed out to me that my license plate was about to fall off. I removed the plate and continued my ride - and I have to admit that I was a little pissed off about parts always getting lose on my bike. Being a little angry I got on the throttle kind of hard. As I was shifting through 2nd, 3rd and 4th I was noting how smooth the bike felt. Cruising in 5th at 60 mph the bike was shaking like a paint shaker. And that's when it hit me, my rear tire was way out of balance.

I didn't have a wheel lacing/balance stand until just a few months ago. When I originally built the bike two years ago I dropped the wheel off to be balanced at a shop near work (not the shop I usually use near home) after I spooned the tires on. I just assumed they did a good job.

Well today I pulled the rear wheel and put it on my stand. The wheel wasn't anywhere close to being in balance. The 5g weight wasn't even installed in light area, it was off by 90 degrees. So I removed the weight and started to properly balance the wheel. It took 35g about 160 degrees from the stem to get the wheel correctly balanced. In fact, I think it could take another 5g but I ran out of weights.

With everything back together I took it out for a test ride. It wasn't the night and day difference I was hoping for, but it's much smoother then before. I'm quite certain that my bike is done shedding parts.

35-40g seems like a lot of weight, but that's what it needed. I need to get some more weights and check the front wheel. If the same tech did the balancing I'm sure that there's room for improvement on that wheel too.

« Last Edit: 05/22/17 at 07:21:08 by Gary_in_NJ »  

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Keep it in Balance
Reply #1 - 05/20/17 at 18:51:52

Gary:

When you have more time to work on it......take the wheel off, let the air out of the tire, mark the rim and the tire at the heavy spot, and break the bead and rotate the tire 180 degrees and see if if takes less weight.  Compare the mark on the rim and the tire to see if the new heavy spot matches the old mark on the rim or tire - see if the new spot is controlled by the tire....or the rim.  If the rim is out of round - it could be pushing the tire farther out at the larger diameter and making the wheel assembly heaviest at that location.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 05/20/17 at 18:55:00

I'd go back and have a chat with the shop supr.
They need to know.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 05/20/17 at 19:09:09

Before you fix it.. show the manager

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #4 - 05/20/17 at 20:25:02

I am a firm believer in ceramic balancing beads. Get it as close as you can then add 2.5 oz. of beads in the rear and 1.5 oz. in the front and they will smooth things out. I get more even tire wear with them also.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #5 - 05/21/17 at 06:25:31

Dave wrote on 05/20/17 at 18:51:52:
......take the wheel off, let the air out of the tire, mark the rim and the tire at the heavy spot, and break the bead and rotate the tire 180 degrees and see if if takes less weight.

I was thinking of this, even before I balanced the tire. Removing the tire takes just a minute or two, so it's not a big deal to do this. What sucks is the long EMGO reverse cone extends past the axle nut, so the pipe has to be removed to remove the axle bolt. And before someone mentions that I should simply flip the axle, if I do that I can't get a torque wrench on the nut.

Anyway, my exhaust has developed a rattle and I'm gonna replace it. Looking at the EMGO short reverse cone with the RYCA quiet insert or maybe the unit that Lancer won - depending on how loud it is.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 05/21/17 at 07:17:36

The MAC exhaust is a little on the loud side but not objectionally so.

IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #7 - 05/21/17 at 08:50:29

I have never used a torque wrench on a axle nut.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 05/21/17 at 13:21:31

hotrod wrote on 05/21/17 at 08:50:29:
I have never used a torque wrench on a axle nut.  

Me neither.....think of how small that wrench is that the put in the tool kit - even with the little extension they provide it isn't much of a wrench.  In the garage I use a large wrench and give it a firm one handed tug!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 05/21/17 at 17:54:00

Why not jack the bike up after unbolting the shocks,that  lets the swingarm drop lower than the muffler.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #10 - 05/21/17 at 18:17:47

OCD on my part. If the manufacturer provides a torque spec, then I must tighten to said spec. Otherwise I can't sleep 😃

Truthfully, in my younger days I just tightened everything to the feel good range. I dealt with a lot of nuts and bolts that were difficult to remove. A good friend's dad that was a mechanic, who always helped me removed over-tightened nuts, told me to always use a torque wrench. He was right because I never have to deal with a difficult to remove fastener.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #11 - 05/21/17 at 18:20:24

batman wrote on 05/21/17 at 17:54:00:
Why not jack the bike up after unbolting the shocks,that  lets the swingarm drop lower than the muffler.

Easier to remove the muffler. Besides, I think my chain would prevent the swingarm from dropping that far (about 4 inches)

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 01:48:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Keep it in Balance

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!