Send Topic Print
Tachometer (Read 144 times)
TheNaughtyLemur

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carlsbad, CA
Tachometer
05/20/17 at 17:50:05

Any leads on a tachometer for the savage? Do the "Tiny Tachs" work? Or these?
http://m.ebay.com/itm/111605977898?_trksid=p2385738.m2548.l4275&_mwBanner=1

06 Suzuki S40 - 140/90-15 Rear Tyre - Raptor Petcock - MAC 2" Header and Exhaust Kit
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Tachometer
Reply #1 - 05/20/17 at 18:53:13

You should try to use the "search" function....or just scan through the old threads.  There are lots and lots of thread about tachs.

Yes the TinyTachs work - but the batteries die and they are not lit.  They are OK for setting idle speed...not sure how functional they are when riding down the road.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #2 - 05/20/17 at 19:58:32

The 'mini-tach' by Ryca is excellent and the ratio matches our bikes. It's an electronic tach with an analog dial. It has a chrome casing and the face looks similar in style to the stock speedometer. The dial displays up to 8000 rpm which is more than you will need, unless you mod the engine significantly, however this is better than many tachs that read up to 12,000 rpm or so, in which case you would only generally be using about a third of the dial.

Connecting it is relatively easy. However, you do need to lift the tank to access the coil. The wires from the tach can be pushed into existing connectors on the bike - so no cutting or splicing.

Ryca also sell a handlebar mount for it although it's expensive for what it is. and I think it would position the tach too high - if you have the tall risers.

There are a couple of threads in the forum about homemade mounts for the Ryca tach. I gave it a go and was very happy with the results.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
JLC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Black Forest, Colorado
Reply #3 - 05/20/17 at 20:18:39

I mounted that Ryca mini tachometer with their handlebar clamp to my S40.  With the drag bar, you cannot mount the tach straight in the middle, you have to mount it on one side or the other. That did not bother me as I have a GPS straight in front. I did not think that paying $10 extra for the mount was excessive. Works great.

I originally pushed the wires  into the existing connectors, as suggested by IslandRoad, but one of the wires from the tach came loose. I since fitted connectors to all the tach wires. I have had no problems since.

I don't even look at the speedo on the tank any more. I know my speed from the tach readings.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #4 - 05/21/17 at 01:10:44

JLC wrote on 05/20/17 at 20:18:39:
I mounted that Ryca mini tachometer with their handlebar clamp to my S40.  With the drag bar, you cannot mount the tach straight in the middle, you have to mount it on one side or the other. That did not bother me as I have a GPS straight in front. I did not think that paying $10 extra for the mount was excessive. Works great.

I originally pushed the wires  into the existing connectors, as suggested by IslandRoad, but one of the wires from the tach came loose. I since fitted connectors to all the tach wires. I have had no problems since.

I don't even look at the speedo on the tank any more. I know my speed from the tach readings.

hmmm, I didn't realise the bracket was only ten bucks more. I must have seen it as a separate item.

One of my wires came loose also and it made the tach do some really weird things. I just revisited the connections and made sure they were a bit more stable.

I know what you mean about reading the tach instead of the speedo. I got used to it too. I've since taken the tach off because I changed my handlebar setup and the old mounting setup no longer fits. I've actually gotten used to the feel of the bike now. I don't know if I'll bother to remount the tach. I might keep it though, in case I need a readout for diagnostic/tuning purposes in the future.

Besides, I don't like to part with cool stuff  Cool

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #5 - 05/21/17 at 01:40:13

Shop Ebay for the tachs, I brought mine from Catalyst Cycles, in Virginia I think, it was a generic Taiwanese thing the same, or very similar to the Ryca Type. I would be inclined to get a white face black dial one as it will show better at night.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #6 - 05/21/17 at 20:59:07

I have one sorta like the one in your link. I cut off the side mounting tabs and stuck it to my "dash" with velcro. It is sealed and waterproof and I have no idea how long the internal battery will last, but if it lasts me a couple of years it was $15 well spent!

IMG_20170426_174220.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
George Palickar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reply #7 - 05/22/17 at 11:27:29

I thought this one looked cool.  Backlit, powered by the bike or battery, battery voltmeter, and a clock

https://www.amazon.com/Multifunction-Tachometer-Voltmeter-Motocross-Motorcycl...

2008 S40
  IP Logged
TheNaughtyLemur

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #8 - 05/22/17 at 12:32:27

I ended up buying one like Stewmills for less than $10. I don't really have any more space on my bars for anything but the Velcro idea sounds amazing. I appreciate the responses.

06 Suzuki S40 - 140/90-15 Rear Tyre - Raptor Petcock - MAC 2" Header and Exhaust Kit
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #9 - 05/22/17 at 13:52:42

TheNaughtyLemur wrote on 05/22/17 at 12:32:27:
I ended up buying one like Stewmills for less than $10. I don't really have any more space on my bars for anything but the Velcro idea sounds amazing. I appreciate the responses.

For my install, I first temporarily mounted it to the handlebars where you see it in the picture. I then gave the line a few cm of slack and then wrapped a loop around the brake line where it goes into the reservoir and permanently electrical taped it there to give it something to 'hold' against when I pulled the rest of the slack out as I fed it down under the tank to the plug wire. I have other wire loom there for other stuff and I fed the wire into an existing wire loom for protection though it isn't required. I left several inches of 'extra' wire in a small taped bundle under the tank just in case I needed to re-position it in the future, and then wrapped around the plug wire 4 times and electrical taped it down.

Anyhow, when I mounted it to the bike as seen, I first carefully clipped off the side tabs and then sanded it smooth on the grinder. When cutting, start far out and nibble your way in as the plastic will "crack" off and not really cut smooth and you can then finish up with a light touch on a grinder or sand paper.

Lastly, I put the "rough" side of the velcro on the tach, and the "soft" side of the velcro on the handlebar and upper rear side of the brake fluid reservoir. Attach and you're all set.  Should you need to access your brake fluid reservoir, just use a razor to make a cut where the cap needs to separate from the reservoir and it'll lift right off and go right back on.  

As JOG would say, "I made a science project" out of something that should be very simple  Tongue

Have fun!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 05/22/17 at 15:35:06

I worked for a guy who would tell me to do something but Don't make a science project
Out of it.

Yeah, but it can't break, either..

We make projects out of things that we want tidy and dependable.
Some things are never going to be either, certainly not both.
I think my wife has given up hope.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 03:20:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tachometer

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.