Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
BIKE DIES WHEN I REACH ABOUT 60MPH (Read 533 times)
JennC
YaBB Newbies

Boonville, IN
BIKE DIES WHEN I REACH ABOUT 60MPH
05/19/17 at 07:51:01

I am ready to burn this thing to the ground!!!! 1987 Suzuki Savage. New timing chain, new petcock, cleaned the carb... bike runs great around town. Get it out on the highway and as soon as it reaches 55 or 65 it starts cutting out like it's not getting fuel.
I was told to try a mikuni mechanical carb. Anyone done this.
Help!! I'm at my wits end.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: BIKE DIES WHEN I REACH ABOUT 60MPH
Reply #1 - 05/19/17 at 08:01:28

Your bike is 30 years old - that certainly provides an opportunity for an occasional problem!

You need to provide us a bit more information - but it does sound like you have a fuel flow problem.

Does the bike shut off completely when you get to 55 /60 - or does it just run poorly?

If you accelerate at full throttle through the lower gears - does it run fine until the 55/60 speed is reached?  

When you cleaned the carb - did you remove and clean the filter that is on top of the seat for the float needle?

Did you install an inline fuel filter?  (If so - they can sometimes restrict flow - remove it and see if the bike runs better).

Try taking the fuel cap off and put it back on...and see if the problem occurs right away....or only after you ride a little while (This might indicate a problem with the fuel tank vent).  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 05/19/17 at 08:07:29

New petcock?
The details of that might help.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
JennC
YaBB Newbies

Boonville, IN
Reply #3 - 05/19/17 at 08:17:07

Sorry I left out a lot of info. First bike and limited mechanical knowledge, so try to be patient with me  Smiley In town at slow speeds it was running fine. It wasn't until I reached higher gears and higher speed. It starts running poorly.. and by poorly, I mean f-ing horrible. Suddenly my throttle does absolutely nothing... and then it dies. Acts exactly like it ran out of gas.

I didn't PERSONLLY clean the carb. The ex-husband did, and carbs are kind of his strong point, so I have faith in that, but will double check. I did not install anything in the line of fuel filter.

I ordered a new mikuni carb last night because everyone insists that will solve my problem. But I figured I would reach out and get the opinion of ppl who actually have these bikes

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 05/19/17 at 08:21:29

JennC wrote on 05/19/17 at 08:17:07:
I ordered a new mikuni carb last night because everyone insists that will solve my problem

Well...maybe.  Did you order a carb kit for the Savage....or just a Mikuni carb?  The Mikuni requires a different mount at the cylinder, a different throttle cable, and the connection to the stock airbox won't work without some modification and adapting.  And the jetting on the Mikuni may not be set up for the Savage.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #5 - 05/19/17 at 08:35:19

Was the carb cleaning an attempt to address this issue, or did the problem start after the carb was worked on ?

There is nothing wrong with the carburetors on these bikes when they are clean and working correctly. I'd hold off on installing the Mikuni till I was sure what was going on.

IP Logged
JennC
YaBB Newbies

Boonville, IN
Reply #6 - 05/19/17 at 08:45:51

So this is the petcock I got

SUZUKI LS650 SAVAGE 650 BOULEVARD S40 FUEL PETCOCK  VALVE  ASSEMBLY

Product Description
    This is a brand new aftermarket  Fuel  Valve Petcock Switch Assembly
THIS ITEM REPLACES OEM PART NUMBER:
 44300-24B00

And after someone talked me into purchasing the new carb, I saw all the modifications that had to take place for them to operate properly.. found them on this forum while internet searching. That's what brought me here. Definitely going to hold off on the carb. THANK YOU!!!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 05/19/17 at 08:54:06

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/19/17 at 08:07:29:
New petcock?
The details of that might help.

If it's a New Suzuki petcock it may be junk. If it's a Cheapo Raptor knockoff, it Is junk. The tubing is small.

Drain the carb bowl into a clear container.

Don't start throwing money at it.
Be patient.
This is not so rare of a problem.
You can fix this.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
JennC
YaBB Newbies

Boonville, IN
Reply #8 - 05/19/17 at 09:06:15

It was a junk knock off.

Get what you pay for I guess.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 05/19/17 at 09:09:11

It would help us to know where you got the petcock.

pictures would help too.

WWW   IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/19/17 at 09:10:26

A genuine Raptor petcock is well worth the price.  You can shut off fuel flow and you wont always be wondering if the cheap-o petcock is part of any future issues.

It can be installed in about 10 minutes, just have a Phillips screwdriver to remove/install the actual petcock and a hose-clamp to tie off the old vacuum hose.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 05/19/17 at 09:13:09

OK, then the first thing you'll want to do is go straight to a Yamaha dealer and get a petcock for a raptor. (Someone will post a part number here shortly I'm sure.)

Then your going to install that and plug the vacuum line on the right side of the carburetor.  You'll want to make sure you have the correct size fuel line as well.  Maybe just order a stock fuel line from Partzilla just to be sure.  (Actually you can order the Raptor from there too.)

If that solves your problem, great.  If not, someone on here will point you in the right direction from there.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #12 - 05/19/17 at 09:13:49

JennC wrote on 05/19/17 at 08:45:51:
So this is the petcock I got

SUZUKI LS650 SAVAGE 650 BOULEVARD S40 FUEL PETCOCK  VALVE  ASSEMBLY

Product Description
    This is a brand new aftermarket  Fuel  Valve Petcock Switch Assembly
THIS ITEM REPLACES OEM PART NUMBER:
 44300-24B00

This is just a replacement for the OEM petcock that is junk with one that may now be junk or will be in the future. The recommendation is to replace the Suzuki petcock with a unit from a Yamaha Raptor.

A question was asked above that is a very good one, was the carb cleaned and petcock replaced because the problem you are experiencing now? Or, is this a new problem?

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #13 - 05/19/17 at 09:15:22

Have you tried putting the petcock on pri. ? when you have the problem do you find any fuel in the vacuum line? when cleaning the carb did hubby remove the float valve seat and clean the screen underneath? Is the float level set at the proper height ? did he take the needle jet out of the slide? need more info!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
JennC
YaBB Newbies

Boonville, IN
Reply #14 - 05/19/17 at 09:17:43

Thanks everyone. After work I will get with the two people that have helped me with this and will provide more info. You guys are great. Thanks for the help.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 04:24:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › BIKE DIES WHEN I REACH ABOUT 60MPH

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.