Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
BIKE DIES WHEN I REACH ABOUT 60MPH (Read 533 times)
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Re: BIKE DIES WHEN I REACH ABOUT 60MPH
Reply #30 - 05/21/17 at 15:15:06

I went looking for 7mm fuel line here in Aus. My fuel line isn't bad but has seen better days so I wanted to preempt a problem. Everyone around here sells 6mm or 8mm.

Out of interest, I asked at the Suzuki dealership about the price for an OEM piece of fuel line ... $56!!! I thought he must be quoting me for a roll of the stuff.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
George Palickar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reply #31 - 05/21/17 at 16:46:23

Just my 2 cents, make sure the gas cap has good airflow.  Clean out the keyway.  Could be that when you are really pulling fuel, like highway speed, the air intake from the cap can't keep up and sets up negative pressure in the tank.

2008 S40
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #32 - 05/21/17 at 17:17:39

JennC it would help to know your location ,are you in the USA?

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #33 - 05/21/17 at 17:32:35

You Know you have a crap petcock.
Fix that.
Problem solved?
Good.
Not solved?
Keep going.
Tank full, minimum air gap, low pressure develops quicker than when the tank is low.
Either way, a run for sixty won't cause your tank to starve the carb..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
JennC
YaBB Newbies

Boonville, IN
Reply #34 - 05/31/17 at 11:44:27

Tried new petcock, 5/16 fuel line. No go.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #35 - 05/31/17 at 12:18:38

Details about the peacock
Details about what the bike is doing

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #36 - 05/31/17 at 13:06:38

Jenn c ,we still don't know where you are located ! It's an old bike ,what are you using for an air cleaner and exhaustpipe/muffler what size jets are you running in the carb? How many miles are on the bike ? all these are important questions ,info we need to help you! telling us it wont break 60 ,really does tell us anything.

IP Logged
JennC
YaBB Newbies

Boonville, IN
Reply #37 - 06/07/17 at 10:17:42

Sorry for the recent post that told you all nothing. I was feeling defeated. Lol. But guess who is riding?!! When I put the rapture petcock on it fired right up, then things went south...very south. At the time I last posted I didn't  know what the cause was, but, All the sudden, it wouldn't start. Cam chain tensioner came apart. It  wasn't damaged, didn't see any damaged  on plates or teeth (thank goodness). I had a buddy of mine weld a washer to the tensioner. This poor girl can't afford the one they sell. When he said he'd have me riding by morning, I thought I was home free. What that really meant was I was going to spend the next 12 hours (maybe it was more) with him walking me through doing everything myself.  So guess who learned to adjust a cam chain! Nightmare. Learned to check my jets (one was clogged), The sun was almost up, I was hungry, frustrated almost to the point of tears (hey I am still a girl. Lol), and something amazing happened.... I finally got to ride my Savage! All smiles!!!
It's and old bike, and I know it's going to require constant upkeep, but I'll get through it again.
I just wanted to say this is an awesome group of people! I searched this site and learned sooooo much from you all putting things in plain English. I went here first, Clymer second. Lol.

IP Logged
JennC
YaBB Newbies

Boonville, IN
Reply #38 - 06/07/17 at 10:56:06

Let me clarify... When I said adjust can... I no there is no technical adjustment for it. I manually worked the chain over three teeth. Which may not be the right way but it worked.

Any suggestions about a muffler? Or any way to make this thing not sound like a hopped-up four wheeler  Grin

IP Logged
JennC
YaBB Newbies

Boonville, IN
Reply #39 - 06/07/17 at 10:56:36

Let me clarify... When I said adjust can... I no there is no technical adjustment for it. I manually worked the chain over three teeth. Which may not be the right way but it worked.

Any suggestions about a muffler? Or any way to make this thing not sound like a hopped-up four wheeler  Grin

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #40 - 06/07/17 at 12:31:15

The best way and cheapest is to find a H-D Dyna muffler ,but you'll also have to change to at least a larger main jet, maybe a larger pilot .What size we would advise you to install would depend on your LOCATION OR ELEVATION, which you have been remiss in telling us.You should be able to find a Dyna for about $30 to $60 dollars either on line or locally ,(a new stock muffler from Suzuki costs over $300 dollars) jets are less than $10 each. The Dyna muffler is just slightly louder than stock,10 lbs lighter,and has a bit less back pressure (performs better) but that is why you need to rejet.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #41 - 06/07/17 at 14:26:18

Avoid the ones that don't mount with a rail and the ones with a crossover. I've heard that the Catalytic ones work okay.

IP Logged
JennC
YaBB Newbies

Boonville, IN
Reply #42 - 06/07/17 at 20:37:32

Sorry. So many questions, some I forgot to answer. I am in Southern Indiana. Boonville actually. It's as small and backwoods as it sounds  Smiley

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #43 - 06/07/17 at 22:05:32

Jenn C,If it makes you feel any better,the nearest town to me( 25 miles )is Boonville N.Y. and is about 1/4 the size of your town.I did search and found your elevation to avg .about 500ft above sea level ,the rest of your state (north ) to be between that and 1000 ft. I run a Dyna muffler,with a stock motor using the stock 52.5 pilot ,3 #4steel machine washers for the spacer mod,(to raise the jet needle,which I highly recommend) and a 150 main jet . I lived in central and western N.Y. at about 450 ft and found these settings to work very well with a Dyna.the bike will run smoother ,and a bit more powerful ,I'm sure it will put a smile on your face.many owners have been amazed at the difference lifting the needle jet a few thousands can do. You need to be careful the screws in the carb are J.I.S. -Japanese Industrial Standard ,and phillipshead screw drivers are too pointed to fit fully down into the slots,so tend to strip the screws X shaped slots,and the small screws down inside the slide to do the spacer mod are soft brass.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #44 - 06/09/17 at 18:49:50

Jenn c., sorry I may have given you some bad info ,I forgot you have an 87, the older bikes ran  different carbs and jets ,stock pilot was a 47.5 and main jet 155 , so I'd advise just doing the spacer mod to start. Then doing a spark plug check to determine if you need to change jets maybe a 50 0r 52.5 pilot.

« Last Edit: 06/09/17 at 20:53:43 by batman »  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 06:22:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › BIKE DIES WHEN I REACH ABOUT 60MPH

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.