Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
backfire when engine is shut down (Read 274 times)
madmikesmech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Olean ny
Re: backfire when engine is shut down
Reply #15 - 05/19/17 at 06:40:02

Dave wrote on 05/18/17 at 18:44:57:
The bang on shutdown is a result of you turning off the ignition......which causes the spark in the cylinder to stop - while the engine continues to turn and pull air through the carb....where it picks up fuel.....then the fuel/air mix gets pumped through the engine and into the exhaust.  The unburned fuel/air mix is now in the hot exhaust system....and within a few seconds after shutdown the fuel/air mix has become hot enough to ignite and create the explosion in the exhaust system.  If the fuel/air mix is a richer....the explosion is less violent and more of a rumble - if the mixture is a bit leaner the explosion is louder and more violent.

I believe you should be adjusting your carb for how it runs when the key is turned on and the engine is running - not for what it does when you turn the key off.  If your idle is high - it pumps more fuel/air into the exhaust when you turn the key off....so the  noise will be louder.  If you shut the bike off immediately after getting off the highway - the exhaust system will still be hot and more apt to ignite the mixture (allowing the engine to idle for half a minute might let the exhaust cool down enough to avoid the bang).  

I totally agree, the engine SHOULD be tuned for running not shutting down.
I suspect I could go a tad richer tho, as I once in the while, if I get on it sudden and hard it pops also, so richening it up should help thst too.

1999 Savage, basically stock, except drag bars, 4"risers,Jardine turn out muffler, Raptor petcock, Verslagen modified cam chain adjuster,4" forward controls
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #16 - 05/19/17 at 06:45:05

In case it wasn't already noted, here (see link below) is the air/mix screw location and how to remove the plug if it hasn't already been removed. BE CAREFUL AND SLOW about drilling the plug as you can go too deep and booger up the flathead tip of the brass air/mic screw. The plug is also soft brass and once the drill bit breaks through (which it will easily and quickly) you can push too hard and hit the screw. It is down there just a bit deeper (maybe 3mm) than the plug, but not too much.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1221818822

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 05/19/17 at 06:58:57

Tape on drill bit.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
madmikesmech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Olean ny
Reply #18 - 05/19/17 at 09:21:59

verslagen1 wrote on 05/18/17 at 15:16:58:
look up idle mixture plug in the index

THANK YOU

1999 Savage, basically stock, except drag bars, 4"risers,Jardine turn out muffler, Raptor petcock, Verslagen modified cam chain adjuster,4" forward controls
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #19 - 05/20/17 at 06:35:20

I pulled up to the Waffle House last night to get something to eat and when I shut mine off, it made a nice very loud bang. The security guard had just walked out the door and almost hit the dirt, looking everywhere for the shooter.

I just grinned and went on in.
Embrace the 'bang'.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #20 - 05/20/17 at 06:55:22

They have a security guard at the Waffle House? Must be in a rough neighborhood!
Do the waitresses still smoke while they take your order?

Ever heard of the Hattiesburg, Miss. Waffle House fire?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxaNUp6-O5k

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverend_Billy_C._Wirtz

« Last Edit: 05/20/17 at 08:33:12 by badwolf »  
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #21 - 05/20/17 at 07:47:52

They have them on weekend nights around here.  Seems like just about everything that gets robbed is on the weekends at night...so.

They can't.  County ordinance...no smoking in restaurants.  They have to go outside now.

This is probably the quietest area in town but they still have some problems.  Most of the time the guards end up rousting drunks that get to roudy, drug users that come in and occupy the bathrooms, etc. But we are no 5 on the list of most violent places in the country.  Here's a link.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/worst-neighborhoods-violent-crime-us/story?id=...

Have not heard of the fire.  I will read the article.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #22 - 05/20/17 at 09:05:51

Hey BadWolf,

That guy's crazy.  I listened to several of his songs.  
I'll remember the Waffle House fire next time I go.  Grin

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #23 - 05/20/17 at 10:07:15

Ah yes, with Rev. Billy or Rodney Carrington you WILL BE ENTERTAINED!

IP Logged
madmikesmech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Olean ny
Reply #24 - 05/24/17 at 17:36:02

Well I finally got out and looked closely and the anti tamper cap HAD BEEN removed. I cleaned the road grime debris out with PB Blaster and let her sit over night. Put the correct size flatblade in the slot and attempted to turn ccountercockwise... no luck, then tried to turn clockwise...again no luck.
The slot was not real deep to begin with, wonder if when cap was drilled it got "milled" by a careless drill operator!!? As previously stated Sad now I'm screwed, IF I can get the mixture screw out, I may have to change it, unless I can think how to repair the slot to accept a screwdriver.
Any & all tips on adjustment or removal would be GREATLY APPRECIATED
Thanks,
Mike

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #25 - 05/24/17 at 17:39:00

Unfortunately.....those little threads can be corroded, and it locks the adjusting screw in there pretty tight sometimes.  Even if you drill the old one out - you can't get the new screw to go in until you clean out the threads.  I have the proper tap to clean up the threads if you get that far along, and I can loan it to you.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
madmikesmech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Olean ny
Reply #26 - 05/24/17 at 19:06:54

Well Dave, thank you VERY much for that most generous offer! I have some left handed drill bits IF it comes to that. I would presume the carb SHOULD be off for this type of proceedure correct.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #27 - 05/24/17 at 21:07:12

Build a tool to clean the thread.
Mix 50/50 trans fluid and  acetone.
Carb on bench, get penetrating oil in on the threads, give it some time, keep it wet, carefully start working on the carp in the threads.
Piano wire from the hobby shop, bent, tip shaped on grinder.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 13:36:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › backfire when engine is shut down

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.