Crockett
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Manitoba Canada
Buzzing foot pegs
05/15/17 at 22:01:08

Hi to everyone here at SuzukiSavage.com
I'm new to riding and new to a Black 2008 S40 4570 kilo's on the clock. Everything seems to be in order mechanically as I had the bike Government safety checked and it passed.

The question I have is about buzzing foot pegs at 100k highway speeds or 60mph U.S Do these bikes naturally buzz the pegs at that speed? Increasing to 115 or so seem to calm it down some.

Otherwise I don't know why I waited until 50yrs old to get riding lol. darn that's fun stuff. Grin

Thanks for any replies.

Crockett

Sash.jpg

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window. ~Author Unknown
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Buzzing foot pegs
Reply #1 - 05/16/17 at 03:38:30

Well.....it does vibrate a bit.  Make sure the footpeg bolts are tight, and also the engine mounts.  A few members have had the top engine mount come loose, and that can allow the engine to vibrate when it does.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #2 - 05/16/17 at 05:17:40

Crockett wrote on 05/15/17 at 22:01:08:
Everything seems to be in order mechanically as I had the bike Government safety checked and it passed.

Well if the government says it's safe....

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #3 - 05/16/17 at 07:08:23

Nice bike!  I have the exact bike, 2008 black.

...And what you think might be a footpeg buzzing may not be just that. Sound can radiate and trick you (these bikes are good at that), especially with the windscreen there to bounce against. As Dave noted, check the obvious engine mounts as well as the lower bolts on the footpegs that runs through the engine and to the other footpeg on the opposite side.  And while you're at it, check everything obviously visible to make sure it is snug such as the heat shield by your right footpeg.

These bikes also have a tendency to rattle in the following areas that you may need to listen for:
a) filler cap (mine does sometimes, very few others have posted this rattle)
b) headlight bucket (see tech section for this "fix")
c) Speedometer (see tech section for this "fix")

I doubt it is this, but you could check your header bolts as well.  NOTE that the header nuts should NOT be superman tight, just snugged up. If you over tighten the header nuts you can make them so tight that you either can't get it back off or even worse break the bolt off in the engine trying to get a stuck one loose. Should you take the header nuts loose go ahead and put some anti-sieze on them before putting them back on. It'll make things easier to remove in the future if ever needed.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 05/16/17 at 13:57:45

The bolt s that hold the peg brackets and the motor are through bolts,you'll need to have a wrench/socket on each end to tighten them.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Crockett
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Manitoba Canada
Reply #5 - 05/19/17 at 21:03:36

Thanks for all the great replies. I never thought to check the bolts for loose ones so that's my project this weekend, check them all. Otherwise man this bike is fun to ride, not that I have a lot of comparisons but I look forward to many miles of riding. Then look at the tech section for the cam chain guide upgrade, and the petcock lol. Hmmm Gov checked lol I see what ya mean, they might as well have said it even has good round tires that roll forward.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window. ~Author Unknown
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #6 - 05/22/17 at 06:23:52

If you are riding with your feet on the pegs, it seems strange there would be a buzzing.  Try lifting each foot separately and then both at the same time (be somewhere safe when doing this, please!) and also pressing harder on the pegs with your feet.  If there's no change in the sound, it may not be the pegs.  I was also going to suggest it could be the heat shield or the muffler.  Maybe even the chrome trim on the top of the cylinder.  
Buzzes/rattles can be hard to track down, for sure.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Crockett
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Manitoba Canada
Reply #7 - 06/26/17 at 20:51:58

Well after putting on 600+ km's (Highway and small town), I think the foot peg buzzing is just the single cylinder thumping away. Thanks for all the replies and yep riding this bike is pretty darn fun!

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #8 - 06/26/17 at 21:31:58

Briefly put your hand on the speedo at buzz speed and see if it goes away.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Crockett
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Manitoba Canada
Reply #9 - 06/26/17 at 21:44:06

Hey JC thanks for the reply.

I'll do that tomorrow after work. Taking the misses to a doc appt and I don't have a full license yet to ride two up so Silverado it is in the morning.

btw would you know whats the best stuff to use to remove small speckles of brown stuff from the exhaust chrome. Not sure if its rust but certainly looks like it.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #10 - 06/27/17 at 06:35:02

For chrome cleaning you will get a whole host of suggestions.  Anything from aluminum foil, Blue Job (for pipe discoloration), easy off (for getting stuck plastic off), Bar Keeper's Friend (for stubborn stains), Never Dull (polish) and other commercial products.  If you google something like 'motorcycle exhaust chrome cleaner' you will get a laundry list of commercial products and home remedies.  

Just depends on what your "stuff" is as to what the best solution might be.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 06/27/17 at 07:10:09

One of the easiest ways to clean rust off chrome without using steel wool or harsh abrasives that can leave scratches......is to use vinegar and aluminum foil.  Just dip the aluminum foil in the vinegar and lightly rub it on the area you want to clean - it is pretty amazing how well it works.

Then rinse with water and you can use a chrome polish to make it shine.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 06/27/17 at 08:02:28

Dave wrote on 06/27/17 at 07:10:09:
One of the easiest ways to clean rust off chrome without using steel wool or harsh abrasives that can leave scratches......is to use vinegar and aluminum foil.  Just dip the aluminum foil in the vinegar and lightly rub it on the area you want to clean - it is pretty amazing how well it works.

Then rinse with water and you can use a chrome polish to make it shine.

This absolutely works.  I have a few 1960's era Cadillacs and man did they like chrome on those cars.  Some old guy told me about using vinegar and sure enough it cleans better than I thought.

Another product is Noxon, which I use for stopping oxidation on high-carbon metal (Japanese swords) and I've never had any rust return on a blade.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 16:26:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Buzzing foot pegs

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.