Swing arm tolerances (Read 459 times)
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Swing arm tolerances
Reply #30 - 05/19/17 at 12:50:02

Well a hate to give away all my secrets, but here goes ,buy two locking washers and put one on the drive shaft then install the pulley and the second washer and the nut.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #31 - 05/19/17 at 14:18:45

Batman,
Does that mean that your swing arm marks are lined up?

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 05/20/17 at 04:49:06

I think Batman is saying that he used a washer to move the front pulley out to allow the belt to ride the center of both pulleys.  

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #33 - 05/20/17 at 07:28:36

Ohiomoto ,would be correct! Norm ,forget the lines! If you adjust to the lines,and there is 1/16 of gap between the arms of swingarm,what happens when you torque the axle to 64 ft/lbs ? which arm moved?You pull the wheel out of alignment! Do you really think that Suzuki took the time to make sure those lines where perfectly spaced on each and every swingarm? hell no! they're just a guide to get you in the ball park.Align the belt!!!! You will never be able to perfectly align the wheel .Tires come and go,but my drive belt is starting it's 22nd year.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 05/20/17 at 20:05:48

Norm, the lines are good enough, my belt is 21 years old and looks like new!   Wink Grin

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #35 - 05/21/17 at 02:23:54

It takes a bit of fiddly work - but measure the distance from the front edge of the rear pulley to a wheel spoke - they do the same at the rear of the pulley.  If you find the distance at the front is noticeably less than the distance at the rear - that shows the belt tension is pulling the rear pulley forward, and as a result the belt will slide to the outside of the pulleys.......and the squealing can begin.

This "misalignment" is caused by the bearing in the pulley hub getting worn and allowing too much movement - and the rubber floor mat shims can help to correct the problem. A more permanent repair is a new pulley hub bearing.....and a bushing installed on the inside of the pulley hub - for some reason Suzuki machined the area too loose!

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1480506578

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #36 - 05/21/17 at 05:48:04

Dave is correct (as usual Smiley ).  I think what often gets overlooked is the fact that the inside of the pulley rides on a bunch of rubber.  There is some play at the rear pulley.  The rear wheel rides on 2 bearings and a solid axle.  There shouldn't be any lateral movement.  That's why I'm not 100% sold on trying to center the belt at the expense of wheel alignment.  

I'm not saying that the lines are perfect or that you can't fudge things a little bit.  But to take that to any extreme would be foolish in my opinion.  If you have to do anything drastic to get your belt to run quiet, you have bigger issues and you might want to look at solutions like the ones Batman and Dave mentioned.

Has anyone every run a laser down the outside of the rear pulley to the outside of the front pulley?  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #37 - 05/21/17 at 06:07:19

String, under the belt on the front pulley, spin to front, pulled tight and brought to the face of the rear edge of the rear pulley will show you everything you are trying to see.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #38 - 05/22/17 at 12:49:02

Did cheat a little on my bike. I put a 1/16" washer inside the swing arm to take up the space left by Suzuki. That reduced the offset by that amount, not much but some.

I found that to get the pulleys perfect, belt centered, the marks were way off. :'( The belt rides on the outside of the rear pulley with the marks lined up- A la Suzuki. No belt noise.

Incidentally, I have my belt a little tighter than recommended here. I can get 90* twist but it takes a LOT of effort. Eyeballing the belt set up as recommended looked very slack to me.
What happens if a person uses the Suzuki gage? It is very tight.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #39 - 05/22/17 at 12:50:03

By the way, I used Norman torque on the axle. Smiley

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #40 - 05/22/17 at 13:01:35

norm92de wrote on 05/22/17 at 12:49:02:
I found that to get the pulleys perfect, belt centered, the marks were way off. :'( The belt rides on the outside of the rear pulley with the marks lined up- A la Suzuki. No belt noise.

Incidentally, I have my belt a little tighter than recommended here. I can get 90* twist but it takes a LOT of effort. Eyeballing the belt set up as recommended looked very slack to me.

Loosen the adjusters a bit and let the axle move forward....then snug up the axle and see you you can wiggle the rear pulley when grasping the front and rear - this will tell you if the pulley hub bearing is bad and is allowing too much movement.  This is what likely is making your belt move to the outside of the pulley - especially if your belt is too tight.

I believe a belt that is a bit loose is better than one that is a bit too tight.  (Just like underwear) Wink

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #41 - 05/22/17 at 20:54:54

Norm ,I keep my Suzuki belt gauge on a shelf right next to my stock petcock.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #42 - 05/22/17 at 20:59:54

Does the sewing machine sound I get when decelerating have any thing to do with belt tension or alignment?

Kenny G   Undecided

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #43 - 05/22/17 at 21:50:37

Not squeaking is the goal.
The belt is engaging pulleys.
Won't be silent.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #44 - 05/23/17 at 12:02:29

Dave,
Just checked my bike. Belt loose, axle tight. Maybe a sixteenth of an inch play fore and aft when grasping the pulley. I would think that is reasonable for a rubber mounted pulley. The belt tension must be pretty high at 60 mph especially up hill or when accelerating.

I'm going to try centering the belt to see how far off the swing arm marks are.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 19:29:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Swing arm tolerances

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.