Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How fast do you set your idle to be when warm? (Read 64 times)
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
How fast do you set your idle to be when warm?
05/15/17 at 02:06:06

This thread was prompted by a recent post from Garry in NJ, ...

That's too low of an rpm. High idle should be around 2,000 and warm idle should be 1,400 to 1,500 rpm. Any lower and the oil pressure isn't high enough to provide adequate flow and to the cams.

It was in answer (I think?) to a post of mine where I mentioned ...

No choke needed here in QLD from 60F to 100F, idle starts at 950 rises to 1200 after engine warms up.

I should clarify, I am aware that idle needs to be at least 1000 for enough oil pressure. I usually set idle for what I want it to be when the engine is warm because it warms up pretty quickly in QLD, and I'll hold the throttle open a bit while warming up so it's at around 1200 anyway. That seems to be within Suzuki specs but I am a bit perplexed at the 2000 when warm thing and I was wondering what other people like their warm engine to idle at.

Maybe I should increase the idle when warm to 1500? I guess it doesn't make that much difference unless one is sitting for a long time in stationary traffic on a hot day.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Re: How fast do you set your idle to be when warm?
Reply #1 - 05/15/17 at 02:19:48

My idle sits around 1400. Any lower and it'll almost cut out ifI I come to a sudden stop - dropping hard off the throttle.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #2 - 05/15/17 at 05:58:12

The "choke" circuit on our carbs is actually and enrichment circuit. If you don't get a bump in rpm when the enrichment circuit is engaged it's an indication that the circuit isn't functioning properly.

I'm sitting at work and don't have access to my bike, but I'm quite sure that the enrichment circuit provides a 500 to 700 rpm boost. If you set your warm idle between 1,400 and 1,500, you will see 2,000 to 2,500 when the enrichment circuit is engaged.

BTW, the Clymer manual suggests setting warm idle between 1,000 and 1,200 rpm, but from information on these forums it has been determined that this rpm range may not provide adequate lubrication to the cams.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 05/15/17 at 06:08:08

The amount or rpm increase when you pull out the enrichment (choke) knob is very temperature dependent - both for the air temp and the engine temp.  When the air and engine are warm or hot, the mixture can become too rich with a full or partial pull on the knob  - and that will cause the engine to run rough and a drop in RPM at idle speeds will occur if you leave the choke on too long.

But as Gary suggests.......the first notch can be used to keep the idle speed up as the engine warms up - don't forget to push it in as the engine gets up to operating temp.

I believe my idle is set somewhere between 1,100 - 1,200.  When I ride I roll the throttle on/off, and I avoid "chopping" the throttle and letting it close quickly.......as that is a condition that makes the fuel mixture very lean and it can cause the bike to stall (The TEV is supposed to help avoid that but it doesn't prevent it completely).  If somebody pulls out in front of me or something happens fast and I chop the throttle and pull in the clutch while I grab the brakes......it is very likely the engine will stall.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #4 - 05/15/17 at 06:38:23

Now that I have a tach (if it is set correctly) my bike does best warming up around 1800-2000 or so and when warm seems happy around 1600.  Seemed a little high at first, but at that idle speed it seems to prevent any potential engine stall if I do have to shop the throttle to idle real fast.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 05/15/17 at 09:36:50

My idle speed is set at 1100 rpm (warm) and I can close my throttle fully at any time without fear of stalling,and even between gears when sifting. If your idle speed is higher it 's because your slide is not closing fully ,your wasting fuel at idle,your gas mileage is lower. You should change to a larger idle jet ,that would allow you to drop to a lower idle speed and allow you to close the throttle any time without fear of stalling.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 20:55:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How fast do you set your idle to be when warm?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.