Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Electrical Meter Product Recommendations (Read 99 times)
Andy RN

Eugene, OR
Electrical Meter Product Recommendations
05/13/17 at 20:29:10

Do you have recommendations for whether I should get a voltmeter, or a multimeter

Any specific brands or features that I should seek out... like backlit display, big digits screen, autoranging, input fuse rating for equipment and personal protection?

Is it important to be able to have a unit that can switch test leads to an alligator clip to be able to clamp the lead to a wire I'm testing, giving me a hand free to push the ignition switch, for example? Or is that a fancy extra feature that I can do without?

Thanks for your wisdom! Andy

US Navy (99-03). Novice, self-taught mechanic. 2003 Savage with 44k miles. 2015 S-40 with 5k miles.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Electrical Meter Product Recommendations
Reply #1 - 05/14/17 at 04:38:50

Get a multi-meter for the versatility.

Fluke is the industry standard, but good meters can be found for less money. Mine is whatever brand they sell at Lowes. I bought it this year after my Radio Shack unit failed following 30 years of service.

Having several types of leads is helpful, and they can be purchased separately from the meter. Don't choose a meter based on the accessories it comes with. I have clips and sharp probes that can be inserted into connectors.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #2 - 05/14/17 at 05:45:43

I have a Craftsman $20 multimeter and it does great for all my basic home, auto, and motorcycle needs.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Andy RN

Eugene, OR
Reply #3 - 05/14/17 at 10:25:34

Thanks for your input, guys. I realize that I'm probably over-complicating things in my head, but the amount of information in what should probably be a simple issue is overwhelming to a beginner like me...

For example, this multimeter (model 82141) says it "tests batteries":
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-multimeter-digital-with-8-functions-and-20/p-0...

But shouldn't they all be able to test batteries?

This multimeter (model 82334) doesn't say it "tests batteries", but it has fewer settings for the dial in the middle, making it seem less complicated... and it is auto-raging... so easier to use? That sounds appealing:
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-digital-multimeter-with-auto-ranging-11-functi...

But then the 82141 model has a 10amp fuse protection, and the 82334 doesn't... fuse protection sounds kind of important, to protect me and my equipment, especially since I don't really know what I'm doing and figuring this out as I go along...

So you see how fast this gets complicating/overwhelming to a beginner? Huh
Thanks again for your help!

US Navy (99-03). Novice, self-taught mechanic. 2003 Savage with 44k miles. 2015 S-40 with 5k miles.
  IP Logged
Andy RN

Eugene, OR
Reply #4 - 05/14/17 at 11:03:31

Okay... to make matters more complicated... I think both models have fuses... the product description for one explicitly mentions the fuse feature, while the other does not... however, after zooming in on pictures of both units, it appears that both have printed text saying they have fuses. So the root of the confusion here appears to be the product descriptions.

With as complicated as things are in this world, it amazes me that anything gets done at all.

I'm going to interpret this experience as part of the learning curve. It's going to get easier and make more sense!

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #5 - 05/14/17 at 12:02:09

I have many multimeteres but my favorite is the fieldpiece 600, when testing the battery it gives you the exact 11 . Something as my fluke would show only 11 or only 12..
Same goes with resistance readings, fieldpiece gives a more exact reading

IP Logged
Andy RN

Eugene, OR
Reply #6 - 05/14/17 at 12:29:47

Thanks for the recommendation. Can you please explain what you mean by "11"? I'm not sure I understand.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 05/17/17 at 07:54:13

Harbor Freight sells a low buck unit. I've had several. They are good enough, but the leads die. They get the crap work. The Micronta I've had for twenty five years I'm pretty careful with.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #8 - 05/17/17 at 08:23:55

I am pretty sure that I have model 82141. Actually bought two...one for the shop and one for the truck I carry with me.  Has the settings I need to test motorcycle/automotive stuff as well as home electrical circuits. Unless you are working on electronics for a living and need the best of the best, this meter should treat you well for your needs while keeping it simple and not confusing you with a lot of features you'll never need/use anyway.

Even if you did buy another one in a year or two, for $13 you can't go wrong.

Personally I'd stay away from the cheap Harbor Freight one.  Yeah, it works, but you get what you pay for with that one. It is nowhere near as durable as the Craftsman.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #9 - 05/17/17 at 08:28:06

Andy RN wrote on 05/14/17 at 12:29:47:
Thanks for the recommendation. Can you please explain what you mean by "11"? I'm not sure I understand.

I am assuming he means that instead of a 4 digit reading like 12.45V, some meters would only show "12V".  You definitely want one that also reads the two decimal places, which the model 82141 does if that's the price range you are shoppig in.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 05/17/17 at 08:48:37

Some meters have a scale setting.
If you select 20, the meter will read 12.34
If you select 200, the meter will read 12

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 05/17/17 at 09:30:55

I bought my meters a long time ago - and they have needles as digital displays were not common or affordable 40 years ago (I have one in my big tool box and a smaller one in my small toolbox I can carry when I travel).  They have worked fine - the only problem is that there is a very long time that passes between uses, and they have an AA battery in them.  It is far too easy to let years go by and forget to take the old battery out and replace it.....before it starts leaking battery goo all over the inside of the meter.

A couple years ago I did inherit a nice digital meter.....it sure is nicer than anything I would have bought for myself!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Papa Bear

Canada ... near the Motor City
Reply #12 - 05/17/17 at 14:16:39

You should be able to get a good multimeter for ~$20.00

An auto ranging meter is a great feature
https://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3320-Auto-Ranging-Digital-Multimeter/dp/B000EVY...

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #13 - 05/17/17 at 15:15:33

Papa Bear wrote on 05/17/17 at 14:16:39:
You should be able to get a good multimeter for ~$20.00

An auto ranging meter is a great feature
https://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3320-Auto-Ranging-Digital-Multimeter/dp/B000EVY...

oooooo!  That's a nice one!  Large display.  Auto range.  Clips for the probes.  Might have to pick it up.  And have 3 meters.Smiley
If it only had a backlit display with all these other nice features.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 02:28:44

General CategoryThe Cafe › Electrical Meter Product Recommendations

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.