Gearbox grinding (Read 84 times)
Danero
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sydney Australia
Gearbox grinding
05/11/17 at 03:28:08

Hi everyone, my bike 2016 with 3000km on the clock has a slight problem with gearbox. When warmed up the shift from 1st to 2nd is not clean. I can feel a slight grinding feeling on my foot when making the change. Also I can hear a slight thud when changing from 2nd to 3rd.
Apart from these two things the gearbox shifts well up and down. The clutch is adjusted with proper free play (have varied this to try) and using silkolene semi synthetic oil 10w40. Is this something to be worried about or just a characteristic of the gearbox. thanks in advance for any replies.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: Gearbox grinding
Reply #1 - 05/11/17 at 07:00:42

Mostly a characteristic of this bike. I was terrified when I got mine and it did this.  Although we preach not to let your idle be too low, a very high idle can make this issue worse as the engine RPM can't slow down enough for a smooth shift transition. You may need to practice shifting at different times and at different RPMs to see what your bike likes best. I notice that if I am riding hard and revving the engine high from 1st to 2nd it catches more than if I give it just a second to let the RPMs slow down a bit and then shift.

Regarding the oil, make sure you are using an approved oil for these bikes. That is an entirely separate discussion. Details on recommended oils (and those NOT recommended) can be found in the tech section.

See here: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1344471565

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 05/11/17 at 07:19:54

Not having any knowledge of silkolene products here in the states,I'd say if your clutch isn't slipping your OK, BUT,semi synthetic oil really isn't any better than regular oil,just more pricey,you should use regular oil to save money, or full synthetic for it's benefits.     The ruff shifting could be from the dogs on the gears not being worn in a bit (you have very few miles on the bike) or the clutch not fully disengaging during the shift,(recheck the cable adjustment ), you might try a bit higher /lower idle, and shifting at a bit higher speeds.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 05/11/17 at 07:33:34

Make your shifts quickly and decisively.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #4 - 05/11/17 at 17:56:31

I think finesse helps.
It is not the greatest transmission but with care, it shifts pretty well.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 05/11/17 at 19:40:16

And I think it's a great transmission.

I've never thought it Needs finesse.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #6 - 05/11/17 at 19:45:33

Justin,
You have never tried an AMC gearbox from the sixties. Butter personified.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 04:28:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gearbox grinding

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.