Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
rear shocks with 140/90 tire and Kawa front pulley (Read 132 times)
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
rear shocks with 140/90 tire and Kawa front pulley
05/10/17 at 12:14:47

I have a 140/90 rear tire and have to keep the stock shocks at their highest setting or else the bike bottoms out on bumps.  This bottoming out is actually the tire hitting the inside of the rear fender, not the shocks bottoming out.  Scary as heck at freeway speeds.  I also have the front pulley swapped out with the 25 tooth Kawasaki front pulley.  

These 2 features are making it hard to get the belt loose enough.  Last night I tried to loosen it a bit more to kill the squeak but found by pushing the rear tire all the way forward it looks really close to the right side of the swing arm (will get a pic tonight if possible).  There's more space on the left side and I'm sure I've kept the spacers correct as I have them labeled.  If it looks like that at rest, I'm concerned it may make contact when it's spinning fast and the centripetal forces (or are these centrifugal forces?) make it a little taller.  Pushing it all the way forward doesn't seem too loose in my situation by the twist test.

Final problem is I really want better shocks with the possibility of occasionally (read "rarely") riding 2-up.  The better shocks are mostly for my own comfort.  But if go to 11-11 1/2" progressives or shocks from an Intruder, it seems like I'll never get the belt loose enough given the larger rear tire and the bigger front pulley.

Any ideas or thoughts on this?  Rear tire is too new to consider going to a 140/80.  Really tired of the lack of suspension with the stock shocks at their highest setting.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: rear shocks with 140/90 tire and Kawa front pu
Reply #1 - 05/10/17 at 12:28:40

I don't think you'll have an issue with 140/90 and the cow pulley.
And since the swingarm will go thru the same range as a stock shock, intruder shocks won't have any issue either.

WWW   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #2 - 05/10/17 at 12:45:21

I have the 140/90-15 rear and KAW front pulley (all other relative components stock) and have had no issues with fender rubbing.

My rear wheel is almost all of the way forward with only very minor adjustment rearward for tracking the belt straight in the rear pulley, and I can do the "90 degree" twist pretty close to what we say it should be.  I can't afford to go any tighter no doubt, but I feel like I am dialed in pretty well.  

My shocks (I think) are on the middle setting and I am about 160lbs.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - 05/10/17 at 12:58:23

Sounding good so far.
I'm about 185 and definitely can't reduce the preload on my stock shocks without bottoming out on the fender.

Stew - what brand tire is you 140/90?  I know there can still be variance between tires with the same size stamped on them.  I run the Michelin Commander II and it seems pretty high profile.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #4 - 05/10/17 at 14:04:08

If I had a tire rubbing the fender I'd bite the bullet. That is a pretty bad issue. :'(

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #5 - 05/10/17 at 14:25:12

norm92de wrote on 05/10/17 at 14:04:08:
If I had a tire rubbing the fender I'd bite the bullet. That is a pretty bad issue. :'(

The tire doesn't contact with the stock shocks jacked up all the way.  I def want to replace the rear shocks but just worried about belt tension given the other 2 factors which already seem to run the belt a little tight.  I suppose a little taller shock that's not adjusted all the way up probably isn't much different than the stockers raised all the way.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 05/10/17 at 14:41:29

Tightest belt location is with pulley, swingarm axis, and axle all in line.
That's pretty close to you sitting on the bike.
The 11 or 11.5 shock will give you longer action than the stock shock.

WWW   IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #7 - 05/10/17 at 14:45:25

verslagen1 wrote on 05/10/17 at 14:41:29:
Tightest belt location is with pulley, swingarm axis, and axle all in line.
That's pretty close to you sitting on the bike.
The 11 or 11.5 shock will give you longer action than the stock shock.

Thanks Dave, and pardon my stupidity on this, but does that mean the longer shocks would pull the belt tighter or give me a little more wiggle room?  Sorry, it's not clear to me in my mind.  Undecided

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #8 - 05/10/17 at 14:59:00

Tocsik wrote on 05/10/17 at 12:58:23:
Stew - what brand tire is you 140/90?  I know there can still be variance between tires with the same size stamped on them.  I run the Michelin Commander II and it seems pretty high profile.

I think it is a Pirelli, but I'll check and let you know for certain.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 05/10/17 at 14:59:53

Measure your belt tension w/out any one sitting on it.
repeat with someone about your size sitting on it.

WWW   IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #10 - 05/10/17 at 17:26:53

I had Intruder shocks and Dave's 25 tooth along with Michelin 140/90-15 tire (Tallest tire I could find) . No issues with belt tension or tire/swing arm clearance.

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #11 - 05/10/17 at 18:25:23

The taller shocks will give you more wiggle room ,UNTIL they have compressed to the point that the swingarm again becomes level,but this would be almost twice the compression of the stockers.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 05/10/17 at 18:51:23

MMRanch ran the Michelin Commander tire and a Kawasaki pulley - but he also had taller shocks.  Taller shocks to tend to give you a bit looser belt....however they also introduce the scenario that the belt tightens as the suspension is loaded....so you want the belt a bit looser when no one is sitting on the bike.  Check the tension when the front pulley, swing arm pivot and the rear axle are in a straight line (as Verslagen said)....and that is the position where the belt will be tightest.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #13 - 05/10/17 at 19:12:33

Perfect.  I get it now.  Thanks everyone.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #14 - 05/11/17 at 06:54:27

FWIW, my rear is a Pirelli, though I think that isn't a critical piece of information from the rest of the recent comments.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 02:21:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › rear shocks with 140/90 tire and Kawa front pulley

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.