Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Removing Stuck Bolt on Lower Belt Cover (Read 118 times)
Andy RN

Eugene, OR
Removing Stuck Bolt on Lower Belt Cover
05/10/17 at 12:02:45

Hello Suzuki Savage Forum!

I'm a long-time lurker, but this might be my first post.

I'm basically a complete newb when it comes to motorcycle repair, and I'm teaching myself as I go... so here's my first question to the community:

Can you offer any advice on how I can remove the stuck bolt in this 48-second video?

https://youtu.be/wQbWrbOux4k

I was thinking to get a Dremel-like tool and cut a slot in the bolt head, and then try using a flat head screwdriver. I don't own a Dremel-type tool, nor have I ever really worked with one (I've only heard people talk about that method), so if I have to go out and buy the tool, then any pertinent information is also appreciated. Thanks!

US Navy (99-03). Novice, self-taught mechanic. 2003 Savage with 44k miles. 2015 S-40 with 5k miles.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Re: Removing Stuck Bolt on Lower Belt Cover
Reply #1 - 05/10/17 at 12:16:30

First. Patience!

Put some penetrating oil all over the bolt. Then the next day, after the oil has done its work, use a six point socket, carefully making sure that you have the socket square on the bolt head. I think it will come out.

Good luck. And let us know how you got on. Smiley

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 05/10/17 at 12:21:33

That's not the correct bolt. I Think it's 4 mm allen wrench .
Some penetrating oil, like PB Blaster, Kroil, something, would probably help.
It's
Buy Tools or pay someone who has them..
And buying is tons cheaper.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - 05/10/17 at 12:23:02

In the video you say you stripped it out a little bit already.  Penetrating oil is definitely the key here as has been stated.  Get some PB blaster or other penetrating oil and soak it good.  Don't even try for a couple of days.  If you've really stripped out that Allen head socket, you may need to grab the head with a good pair of vice grip pliers and then turn those with another pair of vice grips or channel lock pliers.
If you can't grab it with the vice grips then you may need to cut a slot as you described or even drill it out.  But you'll have to use an extractor after drilling it out, too.
Good luck.  Keep us posted and stay tuned for other suggestions.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 05/10/17 at 12:25:35

Have you tried penetrating oil?

You can get at the treads from the back side.

WWW   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #5 - 05/10/17 at 12:39:34

If you have an impact driver or can borrow one, you can find a hex head bit from any average toolkit that has the little "bit sets" that would most likely fit this allen head. A few whacks and I bet it'll break loose so long as you haven't stripped the head to the point of it not engaging the allen bit.

If you have stripped the allen head, another thing to try is instead of using the allen bit, use a torx bit (the little star looking one) as a last resort.  Sometimes the "points" of the torx bit will bite and engage enough of a grip to loosen it, but again, this is a last resort after you have already pretty much destroyed and stripped the head.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #6 - 05/10/17 at 13:24:31

+1 for Stewmills answer.  Those are great suggestions.  Didn't even think of the impact driver and I have 2 of 'em!  There's a decent little one at Harbor Freight that's recommended a few times on this site.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 05/10/17 at 13:34:58

I would not hesitate to r isk wrecking a torx by driving it in. Just don't bend stuff.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Andy RN

Eugene, OR
Reply #8 - 05/10/17 at 14:23:50

Thanks for the responses, guys. I will go out and get some penetrating oil today and update you on the progress. Thanks for mentioning that "couple of days" timeline. If that doesn't work, then I will try an impact driver or eventually cut a slot in the head.

I was thinking to get a rotary tool, but reaching back behind the cover with a Dremel would be a bit of a pain... and so I started researching extensions and found this:

https://www.amazon.com/Dremel-225-01-Flex-Shaft-Attachment/dp/B0000302Y8

I even found an extension that would fit on my cordless drill that's similar. All that sounds cool, but I'm not eager to drop a bunch of money... and then I read someone talk about cutting a slot with a file... $5 vs $200... Duh! Smiley

I like the challenge of learning mechanics. That whole "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" book looked kinda cliche (didn't read it)... but this goal of fixing my motorcycle is definitely going to make me flex my brain muscles.(Note... I'm a Registered Nurse by profession. The brain isn't a muscle, it's actually made of neurological tissue).

Thanks again. Cheers.

US Navy (99-03). Novice, self-taught mechanic. 2003 Savage with 44k miles. 2015 S-40 with 5k miles.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #9 - 05/10/17 at 14:41:01

That looks like a neat tool.

When you do, if you have to, get serious be sure not to bend or break the tab on the swing arm it is not very strong.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 05/10/17 at 17:18:14

Lowes sells a Dremel with the cable attachment. Handy stuff.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #11 - 05/10/17 at 17:50:58

I would first  loosen the rear axle bolt,and the tensioners pushing the back tire forward ,then loosen the top left shock nut and unbolt the bottom of the shock,swinging it to to the rear,(The shock on the other side will support the bike). This should allow you to remove the belt ,(if you've removed the top guard,)and avoid ruining your $275 belt,and provide better access to the problem screw,Grinding off the head will allow you to remove the lower guard, and you should be able to grab the remaining point with visegrips and screw it through the bracket saving the threads .the stock bolt should of had a 10mm hex head ,just as the top guard does in it's bracket just above.If you don't have a dremel a sharp cold chisel and a large hammer might do the trick.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
FL Savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Orlando/Eustis FL
Reply #12 - 05/10/17 at 20:54:39

It's not quite a hex head, it''s an internal hex head, or better known as a allen head bolt.

They seldom strip, unless the wrong size allen wrench is used.
Are you sure you have the correct size or correct wrench (metric or inch)?
It most likely is a metric size but if it's not an OEM fastener, it could be inch.
If the hex is rounded a bit, try tapping in the next size larger allen wrench, be it a metric or inch, just make sure it has a good bite.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 05/10/17 at 21:25:18

Looks suspiciously like the pillon seat rear screw on the two piece seat models.
4 mm allen if it is.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 05/11/17 at 04:36:42

And when folks are suggesting the impact wrench....they don't mean the air or electric ones.  They are suggesting you use the one that is operated with a hammer.....as it drives the tool into the screw at the same time it is also rotating it.  Every person that owns a motorcycle needs to own one of these.  They are pretty much indestructible if you get a good one (bits are the exception and need to be replaced when broken) - my impact wrench is 45 years old and still works fine.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_36882_36882?cm_mmc=Bing-pla&ut...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 01:19:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Removing Stuck Bolt on Lower Belt Cover

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.