Anti theft devices (Read 309 times)
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: Anti theft devices
Reply #15 - 05/09/17 at 15:20:04

Unfortunately many potential thieves live in their own homes, beware of parking in areas with a heavy 50 plus year old population, ride where there are large numbers of eighteen to thirty five year olds on crotch rockets, their dust screen will conceal you and your bike.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 05/09/17 at 19:19:59

I've walked away from it with the keys in the ignition. Never walked home. If someone Does swipe it, they will be here asking questions. You'll get it back.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #17 - 05/09/17 at 20:10:33

If they want your bike they will get it no matter what , the idea is to not make it easy for them. A LoJack or similar system is a good idea. I watched  3 guys put a dresser Harley into baggage compartment of a bus on the side of the freeway that must have been broken down and owner walked off to a phone or something. It was gone in 30 seconds.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #18 - 05/09/17 at 20:25:04

Nugents tour bus?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #19 - 05/10/17 at 00:45:30

I was mightily impressed by the story I heard over 30 years ago of a Harley owner who made his own bike thief deterrent that consisted of some type of device to do with the ignition wiring and the gas tank. When a local would be bike thief duly made an unsuccessful attempt to steal his bike, the owner ended up being charged with murder as the hapless miscreant was engulfed in flames. Right from the get go it appeared to be a pretty silly idea as the bike was bound to be damaged anyway.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #20 - 05/10/17 at 01:05:53

My mate had his BSA chained to a tree with a huge chain, the cover was chained to the bike and it had an alarm - so they set fire to it! Teenage gangs - I'd machine gun the lot of 'em and there pig ignorant parents who dont give a toss. Angry Angry  p.s. They've also stolen one of his cars and set that on fire and stole another bike and totally wrecked another one trying to steal it ( as you can probably tell he lives in a lovely area full of friendly and helpful folks ) The car and the the other bikes weren't that important just runarounds but the Beeza was his pride and joy took him years to get it how he wanted it.

1988 sav, mikuni vm36 carb (lancer),high comp piston, racing cam, raptor petcock, self-made exhaust, delkevic silencer (ryca header), K&N air filter, 48,000 miles
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 05/10/17 at 03:34:11

There is a brake disc lock that has an alarm built in......I suppose that would provide some protection if it was in an area where you could hear the alarm and react quickly.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #22 - 05/10/17 at 03:51:12

Tell your insurance company ,it's a custom, double down ,they steal one ,you buy two!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #23 - 05/10/17 at 04:54:42

batman wrote on 05/10/17 at 03:51:12:
Tell your insurance company ,it's a custom, double down ,they steal one ,you buy two!

Well you do have an "upgrade" option with Progressive Insurance.  You can add coverage for add on accessories and electronic devices, as well as extra coverage for custom paint and bodywork.  It does add to the cost of the policy...but not an excessive amount.  I did this for my Cafe' bike - as the replacement cost for a standard Savage would not pay for the work and materials I have in the Cafe' bike.

I seldom leave this bike anywhere that it would be stolen....the only time it is stored outside is on the trips to the TN/NC group rides.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 05/10/17 at 07:02:12

eau de sauvage wrote on 05/10/17 at 00:45:30:
I was mightily impressed by the story I heard over 30 years ago of a Harley owner who made his own bike thief deterrent that consisted of some type of device to do with the ignition wiring and the gas tank. When a local would be bike thief duly made an unsuccessful attempt to steal his bike, the owner ended up being charged with murder as the hapless miscreant was engulfed in flames. Right from the get go it appeared to be a pretty silly idea as the bike was bound to be damaged anyway.

Yeah, duct taping a shotgun to a chair and rigging it to the door as an intruder alert is frowned upon too.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #25 - 05/10/17 at 07:18:36

Dave wrote on 05/10/17 at 04:54:42:
I seldom leave this bike anywhere that it would be stolen....the only time it is stored outside is on the trips to the TN/NC group rides.

...and when he does, this is where he sleeps.  Grin Grin Grin Grin

printing-dsc_0180-small.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #26 - 05/10/17 at 11:24:44

No he sleeps in the trailor,kind of a shame,I wanted to steal that too Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #27 - 05/11/17 at 04:59:36

And sometimes.....both the bike and I sleep in there together!

This is the trip back from New York when I bought my first Savage...a 2007 with only 262 miles.

IMG_0358_003.JPG

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #28 - 05/11/17 at 05:42:40

I keep a padlocked chain around the fence pole for locking bikes up.
Living in an area known for its Pagan population my big worry not theft but vandalism. Those guys are HD fanatics and hate Jap bikes so badly they'll take crowbars to them if they are parked on their territory. My better half's father was one of them and I used to work with a couple of them so I'm hoping that buys me some peace.

But there's still theft anywhere there are drugs. And strung out thieves aren't real choosy they just want money - even if it isn't alot.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #29 - 05/11/17 at 05:43:25

Well Dave ,I guess I'll have to rethink this. Kidnapping is a bit farther than I'd want to go! Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 16:31:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Anti theft devices

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.