Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Has anyone expanded the stock tank? (Read 165 times)
Jarhead-CO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Muncy, Pa
Has anyone expanded the stock tank?
05/07/17 at 11:23:38

So I was talking to a guy I know from the bar and he drops a bombshell on me and says he makes custom bikes and I only knew about his regular job. I asked him what it would cost to make the stock tank closer to 4 gal and he said it would take 3 to 4 inches added to the center of the tank and welded up. He gave me a ball park estimate at $500. Has anyone attempted this and how did it or how do you guys think it would work? On top of that he said he would charge me 4-500 for a complete paint job.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Has anyone expanded the stock tank?
Reply #1 - 05/07/17 at 12:59:38

Center of the tank? Is he going to make it ,taller ,longer or wider? Yes all can be done ,but wider is best for refitting to the bike,but harder to do with the speedo in the middle, and will you be able to get your legs around it and on to the pegs? have you seen any of his work ?Will he stand behind it if it leaks and repaint the whole bike ?(because the paint will never match if he doesn't ).

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Jarhead-CO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Muncy, Pa
Reply #2 - 05/07/17 at 13:31:51

batman wrote on 05/07/17 at 12:59:38:
Center of the tank? Is he going to make it ,taller ,longer or wider? Yes all can be done ,but wider is best for refitting to the bike,but harder to do with the speedo in the middle, and will you be able to get your legs around it and on to the pegs? have you seen any of his work ?Will he stand behind it if it leaks and repaint the whole bike ?(because the paint will never match if he doesn't ).

He showed me some of his work on his phone it looked good and he obviously gets customers. I mentioned the Speedo and he said he would just fill the existing hole and cut a new one. He was going to go wider, I'm 5 9 so I don't think I'd have an issue getting my legs around the tank. As for the paint I was going to do a full repaint of matte black and that was the whole bike repaint at 4-500. As for as standing behind it if it leaks and such I'll have to ask about all that but was thinking about it as an over winter project.

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #3 - 05/07/17 at 14:49:36

A huge tank on these little bikes looks way out of proportion.  If you're spending that kind of money, it might be better to have the speedometer removed from the tank and maybe widened an inch.  Ryca even makes a kit to move the speedometer to the bars where you can see them. Undecided  Just my two cents worth. Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Jarhead-CO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Muncy, Pa
Reply #4 - 05/07/17 at 15:27:06

SALB wrote on 05/07/17 at 14:49:36:
A huge tank on these little bikes looks way out of proportion.  If you're spending that kind of money, it might be better to have the speedometer removed from the tank and maybe widened an inch.  Ryca even makes a kit to move the speedometer to the bars where you can see them. Undecided  Just my two cents worth. Roll Eyes

Actually that's a much better idea that's what I would do.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #5 - 05/07/17 at 15:30:04

Check out Blindstitches' Supertanker build. 6.3 gallons, $1000.00. Sounds like a very fair price for the amount of work.
http://s693.photobucket.com/user/Blindstitch2002/library/Supertanker?sort=3&p...

IP Logged
Jarhead-CO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Muncy, Pa
Reply #6 - 05/07/17 at 16:47:13

gizzo wrote on 05/07/17 at 15:30:04:
Check out Blindstitches' Supertanker build. 6.3 gallons, $1000.00. Sounds like a very fair price for the amount of work.
http://s693.photobucket.com/user/Blindstitch2002/library/Supertanker?sort=3&p...

That's way bigger than I would want, I'm looking for like 4 4.5gal enough to go 200 miles at a clip. There's a lot of charity rides and such at my job and I want to be able to keep up (on distance atleast) with the bigger bikes. Plus I commute 100 miles a day would be nice to not have to stop every day for gas.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 05/07/17 at 19:10:42

For that kind of money you can get a polished aluminum tank from India that is really beautiful.
Check eBay.

IP Logged
Jarhead-CO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Muncy, Pa
Reply #8 - 05/07/17 at 19:34:10

LANCER wrote on 05/07/17 at 19:10:42:
For that kind of money you can get a polished aluminum tank from India that is really beautiful.
Check eBay.

For what kind of money? The 500-700 with paint for the stock to be expanded? Also what kind of tank would fit the bike from india?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 05/08/17 at 08:05:03

Jarhead-CO wrote on 05/07/17 at 19:34:10:
LANCER wrote on 05/07/17 at 19:10:42:
Check eBay.

For what kind of money? The 500-700 with paint for the stock to be expanded? Also what kind of tank would fit the bike from india?

They make several models and sizes, and looked to fit a range of frames.
The same type of tank made here costs about $1200-1500.
It is worth a little time to check them out, unless you just want to cut & weld.

« Last Edit: 05/09/17 at 08:06:49 by LANCER »  
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 05/08/17 at 13:41:52

Jarhead,your previous post was about your carb,if  I were you I'd be more concerned with using your money to get and keep the bike running well with the amount of riding you do for your 100 mile daily commute. Stopping once  a day to fuel would be a minor thing compared to a breakdown on route. You might even think of doing the front kawa . pulley mod  and 140/90/15 tire, as these would increase your mileage at less cost than a larger tank.Each is known to work and can be done in a few hours ,without special fitment and at a reasonable prices.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Jarhead-CO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Muncy, Pa
Reply #11 - 05/08/17 at 15:23:31

batman wrote on 05/08/17 at 13:41:52:
Jarhead,your previous post was about your carb,if  I were you I'd be more concerned with using your money to get and keep the bike running well with the amount of riding you do for your 100 mile daily commute. Stopping once  a day to fuel would be a minor thing compared to a breakdown on route. You might even think of doing the front kawa . pulley mod  and 140/90/15 tire, as these would increase your mileage at less cost than a larger tank.Each is known to work and can be done in a few hours ,without special fitment and at a reasonable prices.

Dave should be mailing my pulley out today and I'll be changing the rear tire at the end of the season. Once I order a jet set from Lancer I'll be getting the bike tuned and replacing the white spacer. The tank would be something done over the winter, but I figured it would be best to get ideas now in order to k ow how much I need to set aside to pay for it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 04:41:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Has anyone expanded the stock tank?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.