Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
anyone ELSE ever had headlight/turn switch issues? (Read 46 times)
madmikesmech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Olean ny
anyone ELSE ever had headlight/turn switch issues?
05/07/17 at 07:42:21

Hello, Mike here again.
I just picked up this '99 Savage. Niether beam of the headlight illuminated, so naturally my first thing to check was the headlight itself, even tho it's fairly UNLIKELY both beams would burn out!!!
Well they both worked... so on to the switch... power at yellow wire into switch (if I remember correctly!)
Well I took the turn switch out to access the high/low switch and as I got to that point, I turned the key switch back to the on position. As I WRESTLED the hi/low switch out of the handlebar housing the headlight flickered!! Well to make a long diagnosis short.... I TOTALLY disassembled the switch itself, and I THINK I remedied the problem! "Knock on wood" I ever so gently stretched the spring, and cleaned those 3 "pucks" up on the contact areas. It's been working ok since. I was wondering if any one else ever experiance this trouble? ie is this another Savage weakness???
Glad we have this group of people to share and learn from!!
Mike

1999 Savage, basically stock, except drag bars, 4"risers,Jardine turn out muffler, Raptor petcock, Verslagen modified cam chain adjuster,4" forward controls
  IP Logged
Papa Bear

Canada ... near the Motor City
Re: anyone ELSE ever had headlight/turn switch iss
Reply #1 - 05/07/17 at 09:01:23

When switches aren't used regularly they begin to tarnish, this tarnish prohibits them from making a good connection and the switch becomes intermittent or inoperative.
A little shot of WD-40 and moving the switch on/off a few times on a regular basis keeps the contacts cleaned and lubricated - the lube keeps the air off the contacts and prohibits the tarnish/oxidation cycle from commencing.

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 05/07/17 at 09:15:37

I have a shelf dedicated to lubricants.
WD40 isn't among them. WD stands for
Water Displacement, and it was the Fortieth attempt that worked. My boss told me to buy a few cans and load the parts of a transmission with it. A few months later I was up where the parts were. All rusted. In West Texas,  

Electrical contact cleaner, for switches, is available. When WD is gone, whatever lube Was there is gone, too.
Will it clean up a switch? Better than lots of stuff, but it's not the thing that will make a switch last. I'd use it, to get me home or to troubleshoot. . Then I'd get the right stuff.
Watching people squirt WD into the spring and rotating star in a car door hinge is just funny. Works great, for a few days..
If they had a can of white lithium grease, things would be a lot better.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
madmikesmech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Olean ny
Reply #3 - 05/07/17 at 10:53:07

Thanks, yes you guys are correct, but I personally have never been a fan of "tune up in a bottle" in any fashion!! I think the only way to make a play is to roll up your sleeves, and jump right in!
Yeah wd40 may have worked, but kinda messy. Contact cleaner would have DEFINATLY worked, but some brands ( like the ones on my shelf) are quite "aggresive" and I was afraid it may eat or deform the plastic that the actual switch is constructed of.
But the way this switch was acting I just suspected the spring that pushes the contacts together need more oomph  that's why I did what I did,  plus the $200 Suzuki dealer local price was almost as much as I spent on the whole bike  Undecided and I found a couple on eBay, but I couldn't be certain of the actual operation, I mean sure they were in tact and they all " worked when the bike was parted out!"
Mike

1999 Savage, basically stock, except drag bars, 4"risers,Jardine turn out muffler, Raptor petcock, Verslagen modified cam chain adjuster,4" forward controls
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 05/07/17 at 11:32:28

Well the switch is working, the only other thing that would stop both beams from working would be the ground which they both share , you might check that if you have further trouble .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
madmikesmech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Olean ny
Reply #5 - 05/07/17 at 13:43:10

Your absolutely right Batman,but I'm pretty confident it was a poor contact in the switch itself. This is exactly WHY these rider groups are KICK ASS! YA ASK a question and Ya'll are there to help!!! Thank you

IP Logged
George Palickar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reply #6 - 05/07/17 at 17:08:59

Well, as an Electrical Engineer for over 25 years, I gotta tell you, in industrial / weather settings, WD40 works great as an electrical contact cleaner.  True, when it's gone in a few days the lube is gone, but for most  switches, you just need the contacts clean.  WD lasts longer than most contact cleaners, and gives you a chance to work the grime out of the contact surfaces.  Not a cure all, but works.  It does not eat plastic, it's cheap, available anywhere, anytime.  I agree Justin, no sub for grease, but good for what its good at.

2008 S40
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #7 - 05/07/17 at 17:38:35

I had pieces of a dragon fly stuck in the headlight switch of my '02 when I bought it. Must of been a direct hit like the beginning of "The Men In Black" movie.  Cheesy
 No problems since I cleaned it.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 00:51:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › anyone ELSE ever had headlight/turn switch issues?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.