Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Broken Cam Chain replacement (Read 108 times)
JohnnyBeeGood
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Leslie, Michigan
Broken Cam Chain replacement
05/06/17 at 17:34:50

Hello Fellow Savagees.  Happy Saturday.  I have assembled all my gaskets and parts and am ready to reassemble, or so I thought.  I went to put on the new chain and discovered that the gear on the right side of the Crank has to come off. Fortunately I am in possession of a 30 mm socket.  I just need some tips, like the best way to hold the crank from rotating, and more importantly, is it a left hand thread or normal,(lefty loosie, loosey, lousie, etc)? Any insight will be appreciated.  I may have finally figured out its better to seek assistance and input before I break something!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Broken Cam Chain replacement
Reply #1 - 05/06/17 at 19:34:09

JohnnyBeeGood wrote on 05/06/17 at 17:34:50:
Hello Fellow Savagees.  Happy Saturday.  I have assembled all my gaskets and parts and am ready to reassemble, or so I thought.  I went to put on the new chain and discovered that the gear on the right side of the Crank has to come off. Fortunately I am in possession of a 30 mm socket.  I just need some tips, like the best way to hold the crank from rotating, and more importantly, is it a left hand thread or normal,(lefty loosie, loosey, lousie, etc)? Any insight will be appreciated.  I may have finally figured out its better to seek assistance and input before I break something!  

That gear is a left handed dude, so it's a righty-loosie and lefty-tightie.  Yep.
I have a question:  how did you, or someone else, break a cam chain ?
Did you hook it up between two tractors to see if it would hold both of them at a standstill ?  🙃😜🏍

IP Logged
JohnnyBeeGood
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Leslie, Michigan
Reply #2 - 05/07/17 at 06:09:12

Sir Lanc-alot,
It was part of the no start situation I found on my daughter's bike. The cam chain adjuster over extended, falling apart and landing in the path of the chain, apparently. The blessing was finding this forum full of knowledgeable, caring guys,  well at least knowledgeable.  Thanks for your participation in the forum family.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 05/07/17 at 06:54:03

Have you confirmed the head/valves/rocker are good?  If the valves were open when the piston came up to the top.....the piston would have hit the valves and broken or bent something.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
JohnnyBeeGood
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Leslie, Michigan
Reply #4 - 05/07/17 at 12:21:55

Yes, Dave, that potential damage was a concern.  I pulled the valves out for inspection and they are straight.  Dodged a bullet this time. Thanks for the perspective.
John

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 05/08/17 at 08:09:50

JohnnyBeeGood wrote on 05/07/17 at 06:09:12:
Sir Lanc-alot,
It was part of the no start situation I found on my daughter's bike. The cam chain adjuster over extended, falling apart and landing in the path of the chain, apparently. The blessing was finding this forum full of knowledgeable, caring guys,  well at least knowledgeable.  Thanks for your participation in the forum family.

It is always my pleasure.
I love John Deere tractors.
  Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 02:41:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Broken Cam Chain replacement

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!