Send Topic Print
Good morning! (Read 159 times)
NHLS650
YaBB Newbies

Ridin' in the 603.

Northern New Hampshire
Good morning!
05/04/17 at 04:16:23

Been lurking in the shadows here for some time, reading and absorbing everything I can about the mighty Savage.
I rode back in the eighties, on a '81 Kawasaki CSR650.  It was a dependable bike, 4 cylinders, with a Kerker 4 into 1 pipe.  I went everywhere, in any weather on that bike, totally hooked into riding....then life happens.
Between getting married, having kids, and the rest of the things Life throws at us, the Kawasakasaurus got sold, and I have been without until just a few weeks ago.  I never relinquished my motorcycle license however.

Perusing Craigslist with a fervor, I stumbled upon this beauty, a 2002 LS650P.  The owner advertised it as one owner, with a mileage of only 5150!!!! [Van Halen reference???!!!]  
The owner had 'striped' the tank with 'bad eighties stripes' on the tank...

So I drove the 60 miles to see it, and without even riding it, [it was pouring out!!!] I bought her!
After signing the bill of sale, I took the title and bill back to NH, and Registered/titled the bike. and went back the following Friday to bring her home!
The initial part of the ride was a bit shaky, after not riding for close to 20 years, but as most of the ride is 35-55 mph rural roads, I had a great opportunity to get in tune with the bike and how she handles!

Fast forward a few weeks now, and I cannot say enough about these motorcycles!  What a great bike!  Power to weight is incredible, it's nimble, and fun!
I'm hooked on it, and don't plan on modding anything on it, short of a different exhaust that doesn't sound like a sewing machine....thinking about the Dyna muffler!  [the stripes have been removed also]

Well, anyway, here she is!  Pics in the next post.

Happy riding,
Chris~

God Bless America.
  IP Logged
NHLS650
YaBB Newbies

Ridin' in the 603.

Northern New Hampshire
Re: Good morning!
Reply #1 - 05/04/17 at 04:16:45

The day I got her:

Yesterday, stripes removed!

God Bless America.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #2 - 05/04/17 at 05:31:31

Welcome back and enjoy the new ride. We all agree, the 650 lump in the LS is a lot of fun.

You say that you will likely not mod the bike, but there are several mods you should give consideration. The fuel petcock is a ticking time-bomb and will leave you stranded someday. Look in the tech section for the "Raptor" upgrade. I'd also consider the big brake kit (BBK) as the front brakes fade after just a few engagements and could be described as vague, at best.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
NHLS650
YaBB Newbies

Ridin' in the 603.

Northern New Hampshire
Reply #3 - 05/04/17 at 06:21:04

Thanks, I'll take that into Consideration sir.

NJ huh,
Where abouts?  I escaped from there in 2013, to the beauty of NH.

God Bless America.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #4 - 05/04/17 at 06:46:51

I'm actually in the beautiful NW corner of the state where it's almost like living in PA.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
NHLS650
YaBB Newbies

Ridin' in the 603.

Northern New Hampshire
Reply #5 - 05/04/17 at 06:50:35

I used to be 4 miles from NYC... Sad
Don't miss it at all!

Got my state inspection done this morning, and I'm headed out for a ride.
It's currently 55* right now, but it's supposed to warm to 65! Cool

God Bless America.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #6 - 05/04/17 at 18:56:53

NH

I'm on my second LS650 but the first one was my fault , but I think the Harley would have to go before the LS .    I'm glad I can have both , the Wife likes the Harley better and its more roomy for her.

The only two mod you'll have to do is the "Versey" about 15,000 to 20,000 miles.  I've got over 30,000 miles on the original cam chain and a Versey.  The second is the fuel petcock , when it starts acting like its out of gas but it ain't.

This is the simplest bike I have ever had and I can't imagine not having one of them.   If you do a lot of Interstate ridding we go a cure for that too !   Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #7 - 05/04/17 at 20:49:37

It's so good in it's stock condition, you could certainly contemplate leaving it alone, including the muffler. I acknowledge these things are personal choice. you could consider the GENUINE Yamaha Raptor petcock, although my bike is at 35000 miles plus without having done this. There is a video on how to change it in the tech section. If you do decide on your own maintenance, read up about putting the oil filter in the wrong way around. How old are the tyres? It was a good idea to ditch the stripes.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #8 - 05/05/17 at 01:27:26

Welcome Chris, I got my LS650 a few months ago. It's my first bike (at age 47). I loved it the minute I sat on it. I was looking for a 'flashier' bike, but I didn't know what I didn't know.  I've also begun to learn 'wrenching' on this bike, mostly thanks to the people on this forum. I've really come to appreciate what a gem this bike is. You described it really well - the power to weight ratio and the handling. It's a real little surprise package!

I did the Dyna muffler and the Raptor early on. The muffler is a huge improvement. And when the petcock plays up it's like having a gremlin in the machine.

Apart from that I've been doing/planning cosmetic mods.

I love riding it so much that my car is going on the market shortly ☺

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
NHLS650
YaBB Newbies

Ridin' in the 603.

Northern New Hampshire
Reply #9 - 05/05/17 at 03:55:41

jcstokes wrote on 05/04/17 at 20:49:37:
It's so good in it's stock condition, you could certainly contemplate leaving it alone, including the muffler. I acknowledge these things are personal choice. you could consider the GENUINE Yamaha Raptor petcock, although my bike is at 35000 miles plus without having done this. There is a video on how to change it in the tech section. If you do decide on your own maintenance, read up about putting the oil filter in the wrong way around. How old are the tyres? It was a good idea to ditch the stripes.

Hello!
I will order the petcock, as I am really, really rural here, and don't need the headaches of pushing my bike thru the mountains of NH, with no cell service.
The tires are the second set, but I will be replacing them in the fall.  They are showing signs of cracks.  I'm definitely going to two whitewalls~love the look.
As far as working on it, the last 20 years of my life was spent as a police mechanic, so I know both ends of a wrench Wink
What are the symptoms on a bad tensioner?

***EDIT***
I just ordered my petcock.
New in the box Yamaha part fro Flea-bay, 8 bucks! Cool

« Last Edit: 05/05/17 at 10:11:49 by NHLS650 »  

God Bless America.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 05/05/17 at 04:57:44

You got a Chinese knockoff. Drop it in the trash. Buy a Genuine Yamaha part.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 05/05/17 at 05:02:51

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
NHLS650
YaBB Newbies

Ridin' in the 603.

Northern New Hampshire
Reply #12 - 05/05/17 at 09:20:31

OK, thanks.
Canceled and reordered the other one.  Wink

God Bless America.
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #13 - 05/05/17 at 09:33:04

Welcome Chris!
Your story is similar to mine as far as a long break from riding.  I rode a Yamaha RD200 and then a Yamaha XS400 back in the very early 80's.  Got hit by a car and ended up with a smashed face/mouth (despite a full face helmet) in '82 while I was a senior in high school.  I didn't really ride again until 2008 when I bought a 150cc scooter (not Chinese junk!) and put 40K miles on it.  Bought the S40 in 2014.  Good chance I would have bought an SV650 (naked) if cost wasn't an issue but the Savage is just so fun!  
Both bikes have a rabid following but this forum is a treasure trove of expertise and fellowship.  Just stay out of the Tall Table and you'll love it!

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
NHLS650
YaBB Newbies

Ridin' in the 603.

Northern New Hampshire
Reply #14 - 05/05/17 at 10:09:36

Quote:
Just stay out of the Tall Table and you'll love it!

Not sure I understand that??? Undecided

Went out for a two hour ride yesterday, to the top of the Kancamaugus pass.
It's the mountain road between Conway and Lincoln NH.  The Savage rode great, and actually handles better than I thought it would thru the curves and switch-backs.  
I'm by no means a speed demon, the speed limit is fine by me.....well, perhaps just a wee bit over Wink
But the bike ran great.  I'm getting about 60mpg, and have not gone past half-throttle yet....after not riding for so long, I'm taking small steps....besides, at 53, I'm 'supposed' to know better....
Raining here today, so it's a great opportunity to clean it and wax a bit.

Thanks to everyone so far!!!

God Bless America.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:31:37

General CategoryThe Cafe › Good morning!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.