Send Topic Print
Puzzling (Read 153 times)
DieselBob

Thumper - One Who
Thumps

Goshen, IN
Puzzling
05/03/17 at 18:47:11

Perhaps this has previously been discussed here on the forum. However, I couldn't find any reference to it. But then, I might have slept through the last discussion of this bike. I'm both curious and puzzled.

The rear frame section is quite different from the LS400/600 with the nearly vertical shock mount. And it's clearly not an ST400 frame as it's lacking the featherbed loop at the rear. Also, the front brake and wheel appear to be the 15" wheel and brake from the rear bolted to the forks ...... no?

And then there's the AMR300 supercharger tucked in there. That I recognize as I've got one on the diesel bike and a couple more under the bench. In this case I can't imagine the blower is anything but a restrictor plate in the absence of a plenum three times the displacement.

Finally................, that cylindrical piece just under the seat. Any clue???? The whole bike's a puzzle.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: Puzzling
Reply #1 - 05/03/17 at 20:45:45

Every time I see another pic of this bike it continues to look worse !
Interesting bike , think a turbo would be more efficient.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 05/04/17 at 08:54:50

Maybe the tube under the seat is part of an excess pressure  relief valve system ,with a "muffler" to kill the noise if it lifts. not a bad idea when you think the tube between the blower and motor could become a bomb if the bike backfired.I think the frame is stock 650 with the side pieces removed to have room for the blower,the front end has bee changed ,and thr rear has longer shock (the a frame is at a downward angle) and I'm betting he's running a 150 /90/15  both of which keep the bike level.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
SoC
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #3 - 05/04/17 at 09:47:10

Quick question for anyone, as a point of reference. Are running chassis for LS400/600 and LS 650 basically the same? A quick review of numbers suggests they are very close.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 05/04/17 at 09:56:34

If that supercharged bike is an LS400/650 based bike - the upper part of the frame has been changed and the upper shock mounts have been move up and backwards.....maybe the frame is from a Tempter?

I don't know of anyone on the forum that has been able to look at the LS400 and LS650 side by side to do a comparison.  We did have one member that changed his LS400 engine over to a 650.  The engine changes he discovered include the use of a smaller cylinder bore and piston.  The crank appears to be the same stroke - but the upper end of the rod has a smaller pin on the 400....and this makes it impossible to change your 400 to a 650 without also changing the crank to get the larger rod end.  The LS400 has a chain and sprockets instead of a belt drive.....I don't know if the transmission output shaft is different to fit the sprocket on the LS400...or if the gearing is different.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 05/04/17 at 10:19:40

The rear frame member above the swing arm pivot doesn't line up with the frame below.
So I think they married 2 frames together.
What happens under the tank/seat is anybodies guess.

The front end is not a savage... trees, forks and hub are different.

That mysterious can looks to be hard tubed to where the petcock is, or maybe an intake damper?  Too close to the seat to be anything hot.

WWW   IP Logged
SoC
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #6 - 05/04/17 at 11:38:18

I'm mostly interested in the frame, shocks, front ends and such and how they could be interchangable between the different models, where you can salvage donor parts. I'm relatively new to my LS650 and the forum, does anyone know if there has ever been any kind of general discussion about model and parts interchange?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 05/04/17 at 12:14:12

Nothing swaps over from a donor without some effort.
The wheels off of a GS450 will bolt on, but there maybe issues with the rear hub and the disk will have to be modified.
The front end off of most GS's will swap over but sometimes it's all or nothing.
There's been a couple of vs800 front swaps and a vz800.  both entail work.
shocks off a vs800 go on quite well.

various seats swap, nothing bolts on.

Find something you like, park next to it, and the parts will migrate if compatible.  
I keep parking next to a honda fury, but the guy keeps moving it.   Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
SoC
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #8 - 05/04/17 at 12:53:33

Verslagen1, thanks for the advice. Like all things like this you can make just about anything work with enough energy, effort and a big enough hammer. I have a fairly large sailboat and have plenty of experience with how things don't fit even when the manufacturer claims it's so.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 05/04/17 at 13:05:50

verslagen1 wrote on 05/04/17 at 12:14:12:
Smiley

But.....not with the stock muffler.  The axle nut hits the stock muffler when you install the VS800 shocks.

SoC wrote on 05/04/17 at 12:53:33:
Verslagen1, thanks for the advice. Like all things like this you can make just about anything work with enough energy, effort and a big enough hammer. I have a fairly large sailboat and have plenty of experience with how things don't fit even when the manufacturer claims it's so.

Changing front ends is not all that hard....provided you have access to a lathe, as often it is necessary to modify the stem to fit into the Savage frame.  It also might require making a suitable L/R stop so the forks don't turn far enough to hit the tank.  When you change forks...you should also get the front wheel and brake system, as those are hard to adapt between different bikes.......and then you might have to change the master cylinder to get one with a piston size that works with the new caliper - seldom does stuff just swap easily!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 05/04/17 at 13:58:05

Dave wrote on 05/04/17 at 13:05:50:
verslagen1 wrote on 05/04/17 at 12:14:12:
Smiley

But.....not with the stock muffler.  The axle nut hits the stock muffler when you install the VS800 shocks.

Anyone that would use intruder shocks with the stock muff is guilty of a major faux pas.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 10:08:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Puzzling

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.