Send Topic Print
2003 LS650 won't start. (Read 90 times)
CorsairJack
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

2003 LS650 won't start.
05/01/17 at 13:19:32

Hi guys! I'm new here and I just bought my first bike. It was bought used from a shop and was in pretty bad cosmetic condition. The previous owner chopped off everything past the back of the seat and the electrical was a mess as well. I rewired it all and all the main components seemed to be intact. I removed, cleaned, and reinstalled the carburetor, got a new battery, new oil filter, and new oil. Finally, I go to start it and it won't start.

What happens: I turn it on, press the start switch and it makes a "wirrrhhhrr-wirrrhhhrr-wirrrhhhrr" sound. I think that it turns over, but it will not fire, catch, or continue to run. I can faintly smell gas and I think it is flooding.

What I have tried:
I have checked the petcock via the suck test and the "plug and prime" test.
I have checked the spark plug for excess corrosion and cleaned it.
I have checked to make sure that the kickstand and clutch kill-switch are being depressed.
I am reasonably sure it is not an issue with the coil.
I haven't checked the battery voltage since attempting to start it. I don't think that's the case because it's brand new, but I will check it tomorrow.

What I suspect:
I suspect it's a problem with the carburetor as it's the only part that I serviced and was not reasonably familiar with. Mine contained the extra little fitting that looks like a jet and there is a small possibility I switched it and the same sized jet when reassembling the carb.
It may also be a spark problem. A friend who has worked as a car mechanic says it sounds like it's not getting spark.

I'm willing to preform any test deemed necessary but due to my schedule I can only work on it on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Weekends. I'm proficient in maintenance and repair of most things, but this is only my second time working with an internal combustion engine based machine. I am also happy to upload any pictures requested.

Thanks so much for any help you can provide! I hope I'm not just missing something obvious or someone who has already answered this. Thanks again guys, you're awesome! Smiley

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: 2003 LS650 won't start.
Reply #1 - 05/01/17 at 13:42:12

An engine needs spark, compression and fuel to start and run.  Get those and it will start....get those at the right time and quantity and it will run well!

You need to check the compression to confirm you have fuel reaching cylinder.

You can squirt a bit of gasoline down the spark plug hole or carb throat to confirm you have that.

You can pull the spark plug and connect the plug back into the coil wire and set it on the head....then turn it over to confirm you have spark.

When the engine makes the whiirrrr, whirrrr whirrr sound.....somewhere there should be a sound of the piston creating compression and a chug....chug...chug sound as the air gets compressed and released into the exhaust system.

Where do you live?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
CorsairJack
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/01/17 at 14:03:27

Hey, a speedy reply. You guys are the best!

Ok, compression. The "spark plug hole" would mean take out the spark plug and pour a little fuel right down in there, right? And the carb throat is where the carb attaches to the main engine block? Ok, I can do that.

The spark plug. You mean I should just take it out, plug it back into the wire and try to start it with the plug outside the engine to visually confirm a spark? Ok, I can do that too.

I think I heard the "chug... chug" sound along with the "whiirrr" but it was yesterday and I may be incorrect. I will check and confirm "chug" sound tomorrow.

I am in Sacramento California. And this is great, I honestly can't thank you enough.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 05/01/17 at 14:11:46

CorsairJack wrote on 05/01/17 at 13:19:32:
What I have tried:
I have checked the petcock via the suck test and the "plug and prime" test.
I have checked the spark plug for excess corrosion and cleaned it.
I have checked to make sure that the kickstand and clutch kill-switch are being depressed.
I am reasonably sure it is not an issue with the coil.
I haven't checked the battery voltage since attempting to start it. I don't think that's the case because it's brand new, but I will check it tomorrow.

What I suspect:
I suspect it's a problem with the carburetor as it's the only part that I serviced and was not reasonably familiar with. Mine contained the extra little fitting that looks like a jet and there is a small possibility I switched it and the same sized jet when reassembling the carb.  

Don't run the starter too long and rest it a rest or you'll burn it up.
If you don't have 10v while the starters turning, it won't start.
Plugs are cheap, cleaned plugs don't always work, even new plugs don't always work.
If it's turning, safeties are ok.
reasonably sure is not absolutely sure as in running
plenty have gotten bad, new bat's, charge, confirm with volt meter.
always good to suspect recent work, if you haven't already, check out the tech section index, look for carb spec's, carb clean, etc.

WWW   IP Logged
CorsairJack
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/01/17 at 14:31:37

I've been over a large portion of these forums already as they are my only real source of info for my bike.

I'm taking care to only give it 5 second long (or less) cranks and cooling off between tries.
I'll get a new plug tomorrow just to eliminate it as a possibility.
Good, I thought that's how the safeties worked but I wasn't sure.

"Reasonably sure is not absolutely sure as in running." Very true sir, very true.

I bought the bike about two months ago and have been working on it in spurts since then. I got the battery about a month ago and installed and tested the voltage 3 weeks ago. Then it was steady at about 12.4V. This is the first time I tried to start it and the only other drain was a few quick tests of the lights when I was doing the wiring. It's possibly that there's a short somewhere that's phantom draining the battery and if that's the case I'll find out tomorrow with my multi meter.

And yes indeed, the "last work done" rule also applies to my native domain of computers. I only mentioned the carb jet as a possibility after checking the carb cleaning guide on this site. The one featured there has the same unlisted, un-described little brass fitting as in mine. Other than that though, I think I cleaned and assembled it correctly. All the other guides on the internet are a bit ****. Undecided

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 05/01/17 at 14:42:58

CorsairJack wrote on 05/01/17 at 14:31:37:
It's possibly that there's a short somewhere that's phantom draining the battery and if that's the case I'll find out tomorrow with my multi meter.

There's a parasite, constant drain, although low current, certainly unnecessary.

It's in the decomp controller box above the carb.
I really don't know why it's not powered thru the ig switch.
Maybe flipping the key on doesn't give it enough time to power up.
In wet climates, this box sometimes gets water in it and due to the installation, it doesn't drain out.  It collects on the low side, corrodes the board and has been responsible for mysterious engagement of the starter usually in the middle of the night.   Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 05/01/17 at 15:09:59

Gotta set the petcock to prime.
Unsure of the carb?
Squirt ether in the intake. The air goes in just below the seat.
If you're not hearing the One Big Phadt Pisst On huffing air, pull the oil fill plug and feel for a pulse. If it's pulsating there but not at the exhaust I'd be seeing if the cam is turning.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 23:28:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2003 LS650 won't start.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.