Send Topic Print
lawnmower (Read 96 times)
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
lawnmower
04/30/17 at 11:51:57

Yesterday ,when i cut my lawn, it was about 85 out. I cut the whole lawn with my 32 year old airens rider, about 1 hour.. the oil was down a few ounces but nothing too serious ,I don't think. The grass wasn't that high, but the blade was set fairly low.  I ran out of gas and when I looked at the motor, it was smoking ,not that heavily, but troubling. It was coming out from where you pull the chord, I think there is a cooling intake there if I'm not mistaken. I don't know what was smoking or burning, it was overheating , do you think it was insulation from wires, or something else? By the way , its still runs.Thanks!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: lawnmower
Reply #1 - 04/30/17 at 12:09:26

When was the last time that you had the motor shroud off?

When I was in high school I worked at a mower shop, and part of the tune up we did was to take the shroud off and clean out all the accumulated grass from inside the housing....that would help to ensure the engine was being cooled properly by the air flow.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #2 - 04/30/17 at 12:15:18

Give it some love , change the oil , air filter , fuel filter & sharpen the blade. You could remove the cover and take a peek and blow it out all the debris that settles in there.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #3 - 04/30/17 at 12:18:11

Maybe a spark plug too and you could call it a tune up !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #4 - 04/30/17 at 12:24:22

I tuned it up last week, I think you're right, there could be some debris in there.  I never took the shroud off. It wouldn't be wire insulation burning, do you think?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 04/30/17 at 14:57:22

Most likely smoke from debris soaked with a bit of oil.

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #6 - 04/30/17 at 15:30:15

Appreciate that.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 04/30/17 at 17:11:19

And when you work on mowers every day......about once a week we would find one that was full of leaves and grass from a mouse that had made a nest in the engine over the winter!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #8 - 04/30/17 at 20:12:28

rl153

This story reminds me of a Yamaha RD-250 I used to have.   It ran good but one day I put a new set of plugs in (Hotter Heat Range)  Roll Eyes .  In my defence I was in my early Twenties and did't know any better .
Embarrassed
It ran near twice as good !  I'm talking about 2nd gear wheelies with-out the clutch !!!
Smiley
It didn't take long to burn a hole in a piston and warp the head from too much heat ...  Tongue ... it was fun while it lasted  Sad

My question to you is ... Are you sure the new plug is the right heat range since its running hot now ?

Wish you well with it .  Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 05/01/17 at 03:24:15

Hotter plugs don't make and engine run better....they just hold more heat in the ceramic cone on the insulator.  They can however hold too much heat and cause a hole to be burned in the top of the piston.....you should not change the heat range of a plug and it is best to install the heat range the factory recommends.

On a 2 stroke like the RD250....an air leak can cause the engine to run really, really well for a short period of time.  Likely when you were changing plugs you did something to cause and air leak.  Back in 1974 I worked at a Suzuki dealership, and the TS90 and TC90 bikes had a rotary valve engine and the carb was inside the right side engine cover.  It was held onto the carb spigot by a screw that tightened a clamp built into the carb.  Sometimes folks would bring in their bikes that were no longer running, and say that "It was really running great right up to the point where the engine locked up."  That was our clue that the bolt on the carb clamp had come loose, and the carb had backed off the spigot and it was sucking air around the clamp.  Too much air can result in the engine not getting enough fuel mix into the cylinder....and the piston/cylinder seizes from too much heat and a lack of the needed oil from the fuel mix.

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #10 - 05/01/17 at 15:23:08

Its the right plug. I looked at the shroud, seems like a lot of dismantling to getting it off. I think if I do half the lawn at a time I'll be OK. I'll check the carb screws. Thanks for the info.

IP Logged
buster6315

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 05/01/17 at 15:53:04

Dave wrote on 05/01/17 at 03:24:15:
Hotter plugs don't make and engine run better....they just hold more heat in the ceramic cone on the insulator.  They can however hold too much heat and cause a hole to be burned in the top of the piston.....you should not change the heat range of a plug and it is best to install the heat range the factory recommends.

On a 2 stroke like the RD250....an air leak can cause the engine to run really, really well for a short period of time.  Likely when you were changing plugs you did something to cause and air leak.  Back in 1974 I worked at a Suzuki dealership, and the TS90 and TC90 bikes had a rotary valve engine and the carb was inside the right side engine cover.  It was held onto the carb spigot by a screw that tightened a clamp built into the carb.  Sometimes folks would bring in their bikes that were no longer running, and say that "It was really running great right up to the point where the engine locked up."  That was our clue that the bolt on the carb clamp had come loose, and the carb had backed off the spigot and it was sucking air around the clamp.  Too much air can result in the engine not getting enough fuel mix into the cylinder....and the piston/cylinder seizes from too much heat and a lack of the needed oil from the fuel mix.

Suzuki TC90 w/hi-lo range:  I had one back in the seventies.  Used to race a Kawa 100 up and down the abandoned Soap Box Derby track.  Flogged that bike a lot, but never hurt the engine.  A fun little bike! Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 21:24:47

General CategoryThe Cafe › lawnmower

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.