Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
DIY Panniers, pets, and top cases (Read 174 times)
alisonsup

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

DIY Panniers, pets, and top cases
04/29/17 at 17:37:16

I'm fixing to renovate my bike layout. Ive been planning a cross country trip and I wanted to bring my miniature schnauzer with me. Ive scrapped the sissy bar and luggage rack I had and I wanted to build some hard panniers and a top case to carry all my gear. I was wondering if anyone on here has built their own panniers and top cases? If so, what material and dimension did you use? Also has anyone figured out the best way to carry a pet on their Savage? I considered building a small pet carrier and pulling it on a small trailer but I just found out that you have to register those trailers in Texas and I didn't want to spend the $45. I also considered​ those little dog backpacks but my dogs weighs a solid 18lbs and I don't need the stress on my back. Any ideas? I've been mulling over the idea of building a sidecar for my pooch and gear but im not sold yet. If there is an easier route I would much rather do that first before building a sidecar.

I have a lot of wood and steel pieces laying around my house so I was thinking about building my project out of that.

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Re: DIY Panniers, pets, and top cases
Reply #1 - 04/29/17 at 18:08:15

I squared off the top and 2 side pieces with 1/2'' pvc from behind a sign shop. Once you do that mounting whatever becomes a lot easier.
I went with a solo seat, but you could just go a little higher and go over the stock seat.
Mount the side pieces over the chrome rails with a spacer on the left side to clear the belt guard, and move the turn signals to wherever suits you.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 04/29/17 at 18:13:36

I tied a milk crate on, cut a 1/8" piece of plywood for a lid, folded and scrunched a light personal blanket in, the dog didn't wig out. You could use a harness and short leash and let the dog stand up and look around.
She weighs just more than seven pounds.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #3 - 04/29/17 at 21:51:57

Chihuahua?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 04/30/17 at 04:46:32

Part,  and some terrier. Pretty leggy, jumps like a flea. She was beside the road, took her home, had her spayed, she's part of the family.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 04/30/17 at 05:55:25

While your dog may be mans best friend (I have one myself) I don't think dogs and motorcycles are a good mix. If your plan to go cross country on the savage you'll be hard pressed to find enough room for the gear you need to carry much less a dog and all it's needs .A trailer or sidecar are both expensive,and hard to rig, and the bike has limited power to move either,and I would think about the safety of both you and the dog.It may be the better part of valor to board the dog or leave it with a trusted friend or family member and may even be cheaper in the long run.If you had an accident the dog could suffer greater harm than you,(do you have a set of leathers and a helmet for the dog?)or if you were hurt on the trip who would take care of the dog?Will the motel you need to stay in accept dogs? Will the dog run off ? will it be attacked buy by another dog at a pee stop? to much drama! On a trip like your planning you need to be keeping all your attention on the road to stay safe ,and not be distracted by a dog.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
DieselBob

Thumper - One Who
Thumps

Goshen, IN
Reply #6 - 04/30/17 at 06:44:28

Quote:
"I have a lot of wood and steel pieces laying around my house so I was thinking about building my project out of that.'

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #7 - 04/30/17 at 06:55:24

Are those AK crates?

IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #8 - 04/30/17 at 08:44:28

That's not being kind.  Leave the dog home.

IP Logged
alisonsup

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/03/17 at 10:21:02

Sorry for the late reply but thanks for all the replies regarding the dog and panniers. A day or so ago I realized it'll probably be best to leave my dog at home. Then today my dog ran away soooo there's that.

IP Logged
alisonsup

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/03/17 at 10:25:51

@badwolf thanks I'll try that.

IP Logged
DieselBob

Thumper - One Who
Thumps

Goshen, IN
Reply #11 - 05/03/17 at 11:18:22

But, if she comes back there's also this option.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 05/03/17 at 11:30:32

alisonsup wrote on 05/03/17 at 10:21:02:
A day or so ago I realized it'll probably be best to leave my dog at home. Then today my dog ran away soooo there's that.

I think it really depends on your dog....some dogs would be petrified by riding on a bike - while others love it.  Some even learn to wave at other motorcycles!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YzX3X9iD7U

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
alisonsup

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 05/03/17 at 17:55:01

@dieselbob that is actually what I had in mind for the sidecar build. I just wanted a basic frame and platform that I could strap her cage down to. Have you had any problems with that set up? ... Also someone found the dog and was able to get my info off the collar and return her. So I'm back at square one.

IP Logged
alisonsup

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 05/03/17 at 17:57:52

@dave she should be fine . She's rode on mopeds/scooters with my father out on the road but never got scared or had any problems. She actually enjoys it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 08:28:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › DIY Panniers, pets, and top cases

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.