Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
White(ish) spark plug (Read 53 times)
Mekh

Suzuki Savage Rocks!

Denmark
White(ish) spark plug
04/29/17 at 13:29:41

After renovation of the engine I have now driven some hundred kilometers (600-800) and have just checked my spark plug, which looked a bit more white than I would prefer.

Is there a "quick-fix" for that, or will I just have to get started jetting the bike?

Also when driving it cold (5 degree Celsius) until the engine gets warm I have a somewhat stuttering engine, which seems to skip an ignition here and there. As soon as the engine is getting a bit warm, like after 5 minutes driving, it drives with no issues at all.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: White(ish) spark plug
Reply #1 - 04/29/17 at 15:15:04

A white spark plug could be a sign of a lean engine, but if you are happy with the throttle response throughout its full range, then I wouldn't give it too much worry. Additionally, don't jet for a cold engine, jet for one at normal operating temperature. I have a lean surge on the lower part of the needle at cold temperature. I don't care about it one bit because as soon as I notice it, the problem is gone for the remainder of the day.

Get some more km's before adjusting anything.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #2 - 04/29/17 at 15:30:13

Mekh wrote on 04/29/17 at 13:29:41:
Also when driving it cold (5 degree Celsius) until the engine gets warm I have a somewhat stuttering engine, which seems to skip an ignition here and there. As soon as the engine is getting a bit warm, like after 5 minutes driving, it drives with no issues at all.

You didn't mention if you were using the choke, but at that temperature, you should until it's warmed up enough that it will run smooth without it.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 04/29/17 at 15:58:39

Assuming you've addressed the above, white ceramic on the plug might indicate a lean condition.
If you've swapped out the stock intake for a pod filter and/or exhaust, there are no short cuts... rejet.

5°C is 41°F, same as my winter startup, with a stock pilot, I start with 1 notch out on the choke.  Rarely do I ever use full choke.

Are you using the stock plug?  Or the hot one?

WWW   IP Logged
Mekh

Suzuki Savage Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #4 - 04/29/17 at 22:18:01

I use full choke for starting, which it always does after just a few revs. Then I try to keep the choke out for some minutes.
From memory I think the spark plug is called DRP9EA8, but I will check later.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 23:38:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › White(ish) spark plug

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.