Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The heydays of message boards.... (Read 89 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
The heydays of message boards....
04/28/17 at 05:10:46

Was contacted by an old friend from many years ago, while still living down in SoCal.
We met via a fishing forum message board.
This was when 32 gigs was huge, and dial up was the connection.
This site was a first of its kind, and enjoyed great success and had thousands of active members and hits/post/replies a day.
It led to many fishing charters, barbques, etc.

I was pretty computer stupid, still am with all things considered 🙃
But it really was a great learning experience and led to many friendships and great times.
One of the most powerful lessons I learned was that my perception, of who I thought a person was, via a keyboard and monitor, was soooooo wrong, when I met them in person.
In reality it showed me more about who I was, and why, for assigning this imagine to them. 🤔
Also, being new to this stuff, I hooked my computer up to my business line.
I spent hours in the site.....
My business dropped off, huh?
I got a phone bill for like 500 bucks 😵
WOW, that was a shocker!
And changed my behavior  🤡

Anybody remember those days?
It was like the Wild West, the gun fights, etc, were so entertaining, like slowing to look at a car accident on the interstate 🤓

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: The heydays of message boards....
Reply #1 - 04/28/17 at 05:32:31

I have seen a lot of technology changes in my lifetime.  We got our first television when I was in first grade - it was black and white.  Years later we got a color TV.....I never had a TV with a remote until after I got out of college.

The first hand held "4 function" calculator came out while I was in high school......they could add, subtract, multiply and divide.  By the time I reached college we could get scientific calculators pretty easily and my freshman year we were learning Fortran computer language and punching cars - when I was a senior the Engineering Department began teaching us to use PC computers for the structural programs.  When I graduated and begin doing municipal work all the public works vehicles communicated by using the Motorola radios that were installed in the cars.

Cell phones came along much later....and I avoided having a cell phone for a very long time as I really didn't want the distraction while I was working - and I finally got one when I kept going to different job sites in one town.....and the workers kept saying 'The Mayor was here looking for you"!  I was in town and I was working - we just kept missing each other.

My first "WOW" incident occurred a few weeks after I got the phone.  We were on vacation in Estes Park, CO, and we had left town, drove up to a trailhead, and then walked about 1.5 hours and were on to of a mountain at a glacier overlooking the valley.  I pulled out my simple little cell phone (no flip phone yet)....and it showed I had cell service!  I called the office back in KY and told the receptionist "guess where I am"....it was really incredible to me that I could call the office from the wilderness on a pocket phone!

The next "WOW" moment occurred when I saw my first Iphone.  We were at the local fair watching a horse show, and the fellow in front of us held up his phone and I could see the picture on the screen, and I saw him take a picture with his phone!  He then showed us how he could send the photo to his brother in California!

It will be interesting to see what the coming years will bring!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 04/28/17 at 14:43:01

I was in Air Force tech school when the calculator hit. Radio Shack, four function, no memory, nothing, $100.00...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 04/28/17 at 17:13:19

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/28/17 at 14:43:01:
I was in Air Force tech school when the calculator hit. Radio Shack, four function, no memory, nothing, $100.00...

Yep, my dad was an Allstate Insurance agent and got his first calculator for $100.....it was 4 function.  Before he got that he had one of those plug in desk top adding machines.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #4 - 04/29/17 at 06:35:51

Funny, telling, and SAD  Grin

That only dinosaurs are responding to this thread  Embarrassed

The young'ns are prolly wondering just what in d'heil we is talking about  Cheesy

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 04/29/17 at 08:12:05

I still use ice cube trays and hang out my laundry... Grin

The Savage is perfect for me... Tongue

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 04/29/17 at 08:29:31

I had a plug in that mounted inside the glove box of my 62 Chevy. I had another in the house and a five dollar Battery Charger,, and some Bass 48 speakers, like in the car. The 8 track could be hauled in the house or out to the car. The young guys and girls here have only seen an eight track if they have a really strange uncle.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #7 - 04/29/17 at 10:20:35

Serowbot wrote on 04/29/17 at 08:12:05:
I still use ice cube trays and hang out my laundry... Grin

The Savage is perfect for me... Tongue

I used clothes pins to attach the baseball trading cards to the spokes of my bike so it would sound like a savage 🛵

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #8 - 04/29/17 at 10:21:58

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/29/17 at 08:29:31:
I had a plug in that mounted inside the glove box of my 62 Chevy. I had another in the house and a five dollar Battery Charger,, and some Bass 48 speakers, like in the car. The 8 track could be hauled in the house or out to the car. The young guys and girls here have only seen an eight track if they have a really strange uncle.

I had a 4 track, I'm real strange 🐣

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #9 - 04/29/17 at 12:12:39

I bet everybody remembers CP/M and WordStar out here too.

The calculator came out when I was in about 6th grade. By high school there were classes requiring scientific calculators.  I learned programming on an MP/M system in FORTRAN and COBOL. We switched the next year to pc's for word processing classes.

I was like Dave and resisted cell phones for years.  Then, AT&T started going loopy and raising my phone bill by a couple bucks a month for no reason. So, I got the cell and got rid of AT&T...It was cheaper.

I think my cell phone WOW moment was when I was working in the next town about 50 miles away and my family called to tell me my mom had had a stroke.  If I hadn't had the cell, it would have been another 6 hours before I got back to the office and found out.

I also had 8-track, then cassette, then CD. My oldest son who is 24 now had never seen a record being played until he was 18 and saw me playing one.

Things sure have changed.  You've got more computing power in your pocket with the cheapest smart phone you can find than they had to land a man on the moon.

Anybody remember CB's?

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #10 - 04/29/17 at 14:41:46

Roger, 10-4 good buddy......

Heck, you could say good buddy back then to some friend, then walk into a public restroom and not get hit on 🤠

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 04/29/17 at 18:03:42

I Have a CB in the pikkup..

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 09:26:38

General CategoryThe Cafe › The heydays of message boards....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.