Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
LED DAYMAKER STYLE HEADLIGHT (Read 287 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: LED DAYMAKER STYLE HEADLIGHT
Reply #30 - 05/17/17 at 09:00:36

Daymaker style lights are made to replace the glass lens in the headlight.
This is what I did with the beasts headlight which is a 7" Vegas bucket.
I did have to add a gasket to make it fit right in the shell.

The stock headlight does have plates fore and aft of the lens to hold it in place.  So it may fit w/out mod.

The Daymaker style lights require less depth then putting a LED bulb in a stock headlight.

Badwolf put one in and it looks like a stock headlight.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: LED Headlight Replacement
Reply #31 - 05/17/17 at 09:16:06

badwolf wrote on 05/09/17 at 23:09:05:
Yes, their called a ''daymaker''. I have a 5'' one on my bike up here in north county. They won't fit in a stock housing thou.

Badwolf used a small Harley housing.  The stock headlight uses the reflector as the "structure" that holds every thing together - so if you remove the reflector and lens - there it nothing holding the parts together!  I suppose you could adapt a way to make anything work - but the headlight housings that accept the "drop in" type light housing would make it much easier.

Savage_Headlight.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #32 - 05/17/17 at 10:00:42

Yes, Dave is correct. The Daymaker style headlight bulb WILL NOT FIT IN A STOCK HOUSING. And it will not fit in some small ''normal'' housings. These bulbs are much thicker in the back than a normal bulb. I put it into a aftermarket Bates style housing only with much effort with a rasp and grinding wheel! (REALLY NOT SOMETHING I WOULD RECOMMEND OTHERS DO.) Look closely at the drawings of these bulbs BEFORE you order a housing, you will want one that is longer than normal. And remember, there is a bunch of wiring inside the stock housing that needs to go somewhere.
That said, I now have the BEST lighting I have ever had on a m/c! I no longer see my own shadow when a car pulls up close behind me at night!
If you are thinking of changing for a style statement,,, don't bother.
But if you ride alot at night, and are willing to do the effort to get the best lighting you can, you WILL like it when you are done.

IP Logged
George Palickar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reply #33 - 05/18/17 at 19:36:00

Ya, 3 zeners do not a regulator make.  Really lame-o circuit.  I should design a good actual regulator for the S40.  Look at it this way.  The voltage at the + 12V terminal determines how much the zener conducts.
If the voltage goes up (as if you put a lower load on the circuit, like a lower wattage headlight) the zener's effective resistance goes down, "trying" to keep the voltage constant.  This makes the zeners hotter by drawing more current.  My advice: Electrical Engr for 30 years, keep the load in watts similar to design loads.  If the led is brigher, but more efficient, add driving lights to equal the wattage at 12V of the original bulb.  Anything else too much in the low or high load direction will give you headaches, and will require a better regulation setup.  Adding a resistor in series with the headlight wil make things worse, because it will drop voltage in the headlight circuit, reducing the LED brightness, and reducing even further the total current load from the LED alone situation which makes the zeners hotter.

2008 S40
  IP Logged
buster6315

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 05/18/17 at 19:58:17

'Daymaker' headlight?  Have you considered how this type of  light might affect oncoming traffic?  If you require such a powerful headlight, perhaps you should not ride after dark.

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #35 - 05/18/17 at 20:13:12

It is all about the light pattern. A lot of lights you see on ''show'' bikes look cool, but are made for off-road or shop light use. No DOT on the glass. Those lights throw a lot of light and WILL blind or annoy oncoming traffic. To put DOT on the bulb they must meet DOT standards for pattern.
When you try a LED with 6000k light, you will think you have been riding with your shades on before.
Notice oncoming cars at night, some lights are white, and some are yellow. If you are used to yellow and try white 6000k you won't want to go back.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #36 - 05/19/17 at 03:09:11

All low beam lights should have a vertical cut-off built in that prevents the light from shining "upward" and into the faces of the oncoming traffic.  This is the reason that low beams don't shine very far down the road or light up overhead signs.

High beams do not have the vertical cutoff, and they shine a much larger light pattern down the road.

Some cheap LED's don't have a vertical cut off in the low beam, and you should avoid using those.

IP Logged
TheNaughtyLemur

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #37 - 05/26/17 at 11:50:48

My friend has a HD 883 Iron that he got the first week of April and promptly installed a Daymaker knock off.

https://www.amazon.com/Wisamic-Projection-Daymaker-Headlight-Motorcycles/dp/B...

He installed this one. It seems to always have moisture on the inside. Its also horrendous to ride with him when I am leading. The light is way too bright and blinding.

06 Suzuki S40 - 140/90-15 Rear Tyre - Raptor Petcock - MAC 2" Header and Exhaust Kit
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #38 - 06/05/17 at 12:59:08

springman wrote on 06/05/17 at 12:47:37:

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #39 - 06/05/17 at 17:36:52

That's good looking.. very reasonably priced

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:19:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › LED DAYMAKER STYLE HEADLIGHT

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.