Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
LED DAYMAKER STYLE HEADLIGHT (Read 287 times)
GreasyJonny
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: LED Headlight Bulb
Reply #15 - 05/12/17 at 08:04:51

Dave wrote on 05/12/17 at 07:23:09:
The system has a rectifier/regulator under the seat, it is bolted to the back fender.  The concern was not that it isn't regulated - the concern is that the regulator works by dumping the left over energy into a resistor and it creates heat.  When you take a 40 watt headlight out of the system and install a 20 watt LED.....those 20 watts are "excess" if you don't use them somewhere else - so the rectifier/regulators just adds those 20 watts to the energy that is is going to "dump" as heat.

Ok yeah this is exactly how I understood it, but I was mixing that understanding with someone else's comment mentioning that the rectifier couldn't  regulate current, and that's why it had to dump the 30w in heat instead of actually running cooler with less load (which was the electrical engineers initial assumption).

So back to my idea. What does everyone think of adding a resistor in series to make up the difference?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 05/12/17 at 08:20:49

So far......nobody has burned up a rectifier from switching to an LED that we can prove - so adding an extra load hasn't been a necessity.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #17 - 05/12/17 at 08:23:19

I don't ride at night so I don't need much in the way of a headlight.

Could I change to a bulb that would allow me to have a heated vest in the winter time?

Kenny G    Undecided

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #18 - 05/12/17 at 08:25:06

Kenny G wrote on 05/12/17 at 08:23:19:

Could I change to a bulb that would allow me to have a heated vest in the winter time?

Kenny G    Undecided

Easy.  Just make a quick-disconnect for the rectum fryer and attach it to a chain mail vest!  Plug it in when you ride and Bob's yer uncle!

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Jarhead-CO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Muncy, Pa
Reply #19 - 05/12/17 at 08:27:05

Kenny G    Undecided

I'm no expert but if you changed to a bulb that was 35 watts down from 55 watts and you bought a heated vest that took 20 watts to run (anything aimed at heating is going to draw a ton of watts though.) It would be essentialy stock current draw.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #20 - 05/12/17 at 08:27:37

That is certainly helpful... Undecided

IP Logged
GreasyJonny
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 05/12/17 at 09:08:57

Jarhead-CO wrote on 05/12/17 at 08:27:05:

Kenny G    Undecided

I'm no expert but if you changed to a bulb that was 35 watts down from 55 watts and you bought a heated vest that took 20 watts to run (anything aimed at heating is going to draw a ton of watts though.) It would be essentialy stock current draw.

Simplistically yes that should work. Watts (power) is voltage (volts) times current (amps). P=V•I if p and v remain the same I (amps) must as well.

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #22 - 05/12/17 at 09:33:47

I have been running a 20/40 watt led headlight with a pair of 15 watt driving lights that I only use at night. About 30k on that set-up with about 80% daylight miles running only low beam. No problems. My solo seat is open on the back to the rectifier about 2 or 3 inches from my butt, I have never noticed any heat.
I would be wary of any heating clothing, as it draws a LOT of juice.
Has anyone ever determined just how much output our system has?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #23 - 05/12/17 at 09:39:35

GreasyJonny wrote on 05/12/17 at 08:04:51:
The system has a rectifier/regulator under the seat, it is bolted to the back fender.  The concern was not that it isn't regulated - the concern is that the regulator works by dumping the left over energy into a resistor and it creates heat.  When you take a 40 watt headlight out of the system and install a 20 watt LED.....those 20 watts are "excess" if you don't use them somewhere else - so the rectifier/regulators just adds those 20 watts to the energy that is is going to "dump" as heat.

Ok yeah this is exactly how I understood it, but I was mixing that understanding with someone else's comment mentioning that the rectifier couldn't  regulate current, and that's why it had to dump the 30w in heat instead of actually running cooler with less load (which was the electrical engineers initial assumption).

So back to my idea. What does everyone think of adding a resistor in series to make up the difference?

In series with the bulb?  That drops the available voltage to the bulb giving you a dimmer light.

You mean in parallel, but that's what the zeners do.

Open circuit, the generator puts out over a 100v each phase.
Closed circuit IDK, but it's over 14v.
So, depending on resistance, circuit load (lights, vest, cell phone, etc.) and battery charge, voltage and current will vary up unto the zener rating.
Yes, you can add more load and take it off the zener... but, that's what they do.

WWW   IP Logged
GreasyJonny
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 05/12/17 at 13:26:18

verslagen1 wrote on 05/12/17 at 09:39:35:
GreasyJonny wrote on 05/12/17 at 08:04:51:

In series with the bulb?  That drops the available voltage to the bulb giving you a dimmer light.

You mean in parallel, but that's what the zeners do.

Open circuit, the generator puts out over a 100v each phase.
Closed circuit IDK, but it's over 14v.
So, depending on resistance, circuit load (lights, vest, cell phone, etc.) and battery charge, voltage and current will vary up unto the zener rating.
Yes, you can add more load and take it off the zener... but, that's what they do.

Yes yes, quite right, I meant parallel. I read through this whole thread, and I got the impression that a lot of people were concerned about it. I wouldn't have bothered if I had seen these last few comments that are basically screw that's what it's there for. I plan on eventually changing the headlamp some what, so I'm glad to hear people have this working for many miles without issue.

IP Logged
rich8363

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boynton Beach FL
LED Headlight Replacement
Reply #25 - 05/09/17 at 21:50:57

Has anyone replaced their headlight with one of these?

https://www.amazon.com/OLS-Headlight-Assembly-Davidson-Motorcycles/dp/B01LBYZAJO

WWW   IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Re: LED Headlight Replacement
Reply #26 - 05/09/17 at 23:09:05

Yes, their called a ''daymaker''. I have a 5'' one on my bike up here in north county. Came across state on rt70 tonight, and teamed with a pair of 15 watt driving lights the combo is the best lighting I have ever had on a m/c!!!
They won't fit in a stock housing thou.
Here is a recent discussion on that subject.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1478175220

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: LED DAYMAKER STYLE HEADLIGHT
Reply #27 - 05/17/17 at 08:31:02

I split this "Daymaker" LED thread out of the LED bulb thread, as they are a bit different than just a bulb change  and the Daymaker style lights require a new headlight housing and will not work with the stock Savage headlight.  The Daymaker lights probably put out more light - but they are more expensive to get all the parts needed...and the change requires a bit more wrenching.  

The original LED headlight thread will be used to discuss installing an LED "bulb" in the stock headlight and reflector - in hopes we can find a $30-$50 lighting upgrade for the stock headlight.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #28 - 05/17/17 at 08:39:10

I ride nights. I ride bone shaking rough roads. The filament can't be happy. The bucket may kick itself. I'm looking forward to this being available. I'll be shipping the pulley home soon.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #29 - 05/17/17 at 08:56:35

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/17/17 at 08:39:10:
The bucket may kick itself. I'm looking forward to this being available.

I should be getting the machined headlight adapters this week.  I have not seen them yet to know how much prep work they will need to make then pretty.  They will be bare aluminum - so they will corrode quickly unless they are clear or silver powder coated.

Dave

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 12:24:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › LED DAYMAKER STYLE HEADLIGHT

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.